Introducing Digitakt

I get why people want DT. OT is kind of a (beautiful) mess. But surely they could have added more than ‘just taking things out to make it simpler’? Where’s the inspired new weirdness? Instead they killed off a load of major features needlessly. I don’t get it. Not trying to bum anyone out. And it IS a good product. But no wow factor for me at all.

1 Like

I will like my DT as nothing bevore. Granted
I will make AWESOME Music with my DT, Granted
…but from day 1 on will i drool for the next bigger one in the line which adds at least the missing Delay per Track,
at least another pair of outs ( think sidechain compression on a HW comp),
and anyway the real stereo sampleplay capabilitys.

The argument of ease of use can´t hold its place in regards to the mainly missed features, really.
the argument of a better price tag does it finally.
but then, the DT is not cheap either, and i personally prefer to save up a bit longer to get a Box that won´t make me drool from begin on for the next Box to hit the market.

The other thing: The octatrack can´t be a replacement for the DT for people who are much into sample manipulation. Very obvious if you watched carefully Cenks Videos.
so there is not really that: “just take the other” option :wink:

hope the DT is just a upfront testrun of their new improved workflow/UI, which finally makes sense to me, looking this way to it.
Hope to see a daddy p-lock sampler with a Fader on it in the not to far future :wink:

3 Likes

yea im still very much looking forward to if they make a new OT2 with their modern vibes oh yea can’t wait. but I still look and listen to DT and think to myself “that is perfect for writing music with, it has an extremely adequate featureset for me to write some absolutely banging tunes on. I don’t really need more at all” (apart from hopefully a master compressor). :slight_smile:

3 Likes

What’s this “new pitch algorithm” I keep hearing about? Can someone post a link to an article or a video with some info on this, as I’ve never heard any talk about this other than here? I was under the impression this is basic functionality that’s been present in samplers and trackers for decades.

1 Like

Just the pitch/chromatic sounds very natural/real from the DT vids. No official info really except I think I remember Simon saying they were proud of the transpose on DT. Does sound killer from what I’ve heard.

1 Like

Same. I think the workflow and capabilities look great. I’m not looking for a DAW in a box… I have Cubase/komplete and plenty of I/O for that.

Some buyers want one box to do it all, I’m fine with different hardware boxes that excel at individual jobs and can be interfaced with other equipment.

The key for me is that each box needs a control surface that draws out its capabilities - here I think DT scores.

It is certainly not the cheapest drum sampler, or a box that will ‘do it all’. But it looks pretty stimulating to me! :smiley:

2 Likes

Yes - this is plain old school sampling - pitch and time interconnected just like vinyl.

Whether the DT has got some special sauce on the pitching algorithms its impossible to say - I can’t imagine given the evident processing limits of the DT that they’re doing anything unusual there. But damn those Superbooth demos sounded sweet - perhaps they’re running the demo audio through a hidden outboard sound enhancer ( I hope they didn’t) - who knows perhaps there’s an enhancer inside the DT, we will have to wait and see.

2 Likes

In midi conditional trigs and your midi gear. :wink:

i think the major new feature is the 8 midi tracks with the fast UI. anyway i think the marketing idea behind the DT was to get to much more people that didnt hear or used elektron gear and still offer the boutique “look” and in this sense that did it again big time

3 Likes

-100%=silence ?
Like RATE=0 for OT (which does better than Pionneer) ?

1 Like

I’ve never had occasion to use the pitch on Pioneer CDJs that much… will have to look next time I get to use some. Thanks for that.

_di_gi _di_di _gi_di _ca_n’t _yo_u _se_e
_S_ometimes your words justhypnotize me
_An_d I _ju_st _lo_ve _yo_ur _fla_shy ways
_Gu_ess _tha_t’s why they _brok_e, and you’re so paid (uh)

3 Likes

Easy to understand but hard to master +1

Lyrics courtesy of Doug E Fresh (& The Get Fresh Crew) - “La Di Da Di” 1985

…well, a few of those lines are. Still have this record lying around somewhere.

2 Likes

First post here on the forums and just want to say I’m super amped to get this box in.

Just preordered through perfect circuit, whom I highly recommend checking out. Very flexible financing options and a great selection.

But yeah I think this box is going to be perfect for certain people and unnecessary for others. I think it’s very unique and can’t think of anything like it. I have a couple Roland sp’s and an op-1 and none of em have decent sequencers for recording drums so I’m really excited about the micro timing capabilities and grid locking. Think you’ll be able to get some really interesting grooves out of the machine. And there’s not really many other samplers out there at this price point that can be used to store a bunch of drum sounds. I mean the list can go on and on about what this machine can do and I just want to say I’m super excited about owning my first elektron piece :))

3 Likes

Sorry,I prefer my girlfriend version :slight_smile:

At first these lyrics are from the sweet Notorious big.
Check this sound baby !!!

i once owned a sp606, and this totally reminds me of it minus the midi tracks.

1 Like

My first sp was the 505 and I was thinking the same thing about that.

2 Likes

the digitakt reminds me much of the sp’s with just a better sequencer.

and i dont think you can load up as many long samples as you could on a sp but still.

the sequencer alone makes it worth it when comparing it to any sp really. i’ve always just used resampling when making songs on my sp’s.

THE REAL QUESTION IS WHEN ARE THESE SUPPOSED TO BE GETTING SHIPPED???

SOMEONE TELL ME PLZZZ.

im being a brat but i dont even wanna make anything until i get the DT in my hands lol :))