Introducing Digitakt

FWIW there’s some discussion above about Moogs premium pricing and how they are still hand made. I’d like to add as well that they’ve barely been able to stay in business over the years even with their sky high prices and the fact that their founder invented the synth! I believe they are doing better now though and I think are cooperatively owned by the workers but there still not racking in cash…

Edit: My point is that even though their prices are really high, they don’t make money, not that they should change anything…

Sigh… All this guessing and speculating, there is more and more info coming from dear Olle (like little drops from a watertap, thanks for that)… I think, this Digitakt will be deeper then we think. Looks fun and hands on on the outside, but I guess we just underestimate it at this point because we don’t know the damn thing. I even had fun reading this thread sometimes. I understand the fuss of course, because of that I just ordered it at a local retailer :grin: Cant wait to get my hands dirty on this thing!

3 Likes

I tend to believe Olle, he says he thinks it’s really fun to play and I feel like he is speaking the truth about what he thinks and not just giving some general “I work for Elektron” statement…

3 Likes

Sooooooo much speculation, both positive and negative. Looking forward to the video though that will probably just spark more speculative debate lol

1 Like

Yes, Moog barely fit the definition of an economically sustainable business, if fashion swings back away from analogue synthesizers they could easily go bust again, just as they did in the 80s (they only really started up again in 2002). I am very glad they exist now of course, they make wonderful things.

i wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment, but in the case of Elektron i do think its a fair point about build quality - personally Id say its in the top tier of craftsmanship of all the gear ive owned over the years, and i also appreciate the no-frills type utilitarian design of a solid metal box with each button being highly relevant and ergonomically placed, without funky embellishments and strange shapes just for the hell of it - its extremely minimal and yet still elegant

as in the case of apple id tend to disagree about the “wonderous” or “genius” or “beautiful” design or whatever, thats garbage IMO… theres some good, some bad, some really stupid decisions and so forth, its all over the place

2 Likes

cant speak for anyone else, but all im trying to say is that I advocate having a more objective view on technical features and approaching this with wide open eyes instead of tinted glasses of any sort coloring your perspective - and with that being said, its not necessary to assume “nothing is known yet” when much of this information is very clear and very much available to draw logical conclusions from in such an objective way

I know that nobody likes to hear this kind of thing - but if you have been working with samplers for many technical generations and playing with sequencers for decades, you are going to be a lot more familiar with every aspect of the process than someone who just started playing around with this stuff a few years ago… sorry but thats just the way it is

1 Like

Honestly I’m just a forum addict trying to lighten the mood… I should just stay away from this thread but I can’t help it. All the details don’t really matter too much to me at all, I just want the forum to be fun… Carry on…

6 Likes

@olle brilliant news Cenk is doing a series of videos. Can’t wait. Will DT be accesible for hands on demos at Superbooth?

And… wait. Just. Wait
It will either be something you want.
Or something you dont.
Will it have magical powers that have yet to be revealed? We can only wait.
Will it be ‘meh’ for your needs? We can only wait.
Im sure we can all do that can we not?
And give those poor Elektron fellows a little bit of a break seeing as they are double busy andno doubt nervous at the launch of their new baby?
Buy it. Dont buy it.
Choice. The beauty of free choice :))))))

3 Likes

Given that I’ve now watched @CarlMikaelBjork video on the Heat, and thinking about the DigiTakt’s midi sequencer with its probtrigs, polyrytms and stuff, I’m starting to see the possibilities of these two together. Apply sequences Heat sound design on your DigiTakt tracks, and you can go anywhere with that little compact rig.

1 Like

Interesting to see how this idea plays. If so this could be really intriguing in how it plays both in the hands and investments by us musicians and in how elektron navigates (or has been navigating) their own business direction. I mean they are selling them sequentially, and both are the same size. I’m being purely speculative, but think about this - add them both together and you’re equating your entire expenditure to what might be payed for just a singular premium-level piece of elektron gear

i love my OT, but the lack of daw integration, separate outs, recording to CF, makes it a PITA to integrate into any recording setup. i am more and more tempted to swap it for a DT. but there will also be so much i’d miss and I’d have to work around.

tough decision. would be easier if elektron would let us know if there’s an OT2 on the horizon, or if the DT will basically replace it.

also it’s not quite clear to me if OB on the DT will be able to record all 8 outputs plus stereo FX plus the 2 inputs all simultaneously.

1 Like

Seeing as Overbridge can only handle 8 mono channels simultaneous (depending on bitrate), you’d have to choose wich 8 channels you’d want at a time.

there is only 8 audio tracks on the DT (plus the master stereo I assume). but they’re digital so that “might” be easier to handle as no A/d conversion needed. (that’s pure guesswork on my part as I don’t actually have a butchers)
:stuck_out_tongue:

Yes. Probably 2 for the master aswell… Also you have 2 inputs that would be accessible from overbridge.

1 Like

oh yep, fx too

I know, right? Essentially, those two together is a damn fine premium package, and certainly different enough from the high end pieces.

thanks for clarifying those small details, much appreciated and helpful.

2 Likes

I’d be a little more optimistic it’s possible … I recall browsing 8@24/48 now that the USB bandwidth has opened up 2.0 vs 1.1, maybe they’ll be able to configure the extra i/o too, so perhaps 12 at 24

but the other posts concerning current limitations A4KR are not applicable afaik

3 Likes