Introducing Digitakt II

Yeah I wish I had done more research as I bought mine through Zzounds and it says pre-order which I have no idea how long it will be until they get theirs. I noticed Zzounds and AMS also lost their 12 month pay to play on Elektron devices which is a shame as well. It took both those companies years before they got TE back to a pay to play option.

Iā€™m sure there are, but you could always add them anyway. Smallest files everā€¦

at least OT users are happyā€¦because they got a proper slice mode :sunglasses:

ā€¦on the positive side: Nice job on the rollout, I enjoyed seeing different faces in the videos!

4 Likes

It does seem like Zzounds is at the back of the line in regards to getting stock of ā€œhotā€ new items.

If youā€™re trying to diffuse the cost over a period of time (assuming youā€™re in the states), find a retailer that partners with Affirm. Many do, and you get most of the same benefitsā€¦.

1 Like

For sure. I happen to buy this one straight out. But I have considered using Affirm but havent yet. Iā€™ll check it out eventually.

if they do ever update the slicing they will get so many SP-404 users, now that the memory has increased.

2 Likes

so trueā€¦I just donā€™t understand why they wonā€™t do it :man_facepalming:

4 Likes

All elektron gear have only a certain amount of parameter locks per step, and some units allow more than others. So the original digitakt/digitone cpus and memory allocation may not be up to the task of processing literally double the amount of parameter locks from 64 to 128 steps.

Its of course obvious that the new digitakt 2 has more memory and a faster processor than the original. That is the main reason why the other units will most likely not have the ability to be updated to accommodate 128 steps properly (not to mention the UI issue regarding lack of the 8 page leds present on the new hardware).

1 Like

I did the same. Weird it says pre order on the website but in stock on the email confirmation?!?

Hi Niko! I donā€™t know if I understood correctly.

So now the cuts between the slices arenā€™t done at the nearest zero amplitude crossing? (unlike what currently happens in DT1)

If so, is the DT2 manual wrong? :point_up:

1 Like

Iā€™ll echo a request Iā€™ve made about Rytm in the past.

16 level velocity mode where you can hold the step and manually set each velocity.

Read: slicing.

3 Likes

:man_shrugging:t2:

The way I see it, Perfect Circuit seems to be a preferred US retailer, so I reckon Iā€™ll get mine after the B list influencers, but before the folks asking ā€œbut does it stream from diskā€ or ā€œdoes it do stemz?ā€

1 Like

Iā€™m really in no rush to get it as I still need to sell my OG DTšŸ¤£

1 Like

Understand OP was asking why number of steps cannot be increased from 64 to 128, not whether number of parameters per step can be increased (you seem to imply the former necessitates the latter but not clear why). Locks per step are stored in memory and processed in real time - therefore increased number of steps is a memory issue. Not clear if digitone is memory bottle necked.

Fair enough. Then the general answer to OPā€™s question I imagine would be that the original digitakt/digitone simply do not have the better internals of the new digitakt 2(cpu, memory etc) capable of handling the full 128 steps for whatever reason. Also, as i already mentioned, the hardware UI still would only have the 4 page leds, which Elektron may deem a bit too confusing to keep track of properly in normal use.

If they were able to, then Elektron would have implemented 128 steps in the older units years ago. Moving forward, Iā€™m sure all upcoming Elektron gear will ship with 128 steps standard, along with all the proper hardware to accommodate it. :wink:

1 Like

Well Germany for example has a GST of 19% and itā€™s still only 999EUR at Thomann there, which is 1645 AUD. Australians are getting overcharged for sure

I might have to buy it on my Europe holiday this year :sweat_smile:

1 Like

well there is still a chance that they mightā€¦ Iā€™m so happy that they made this instrument!

1 Like

Any rate doubt we will find out unless elektron implement. Understandably they are not transparent on what the hardware limitations are. I imagine there are a number of desired features the revised model will technically be capable of (and mk1) that will not be implemented and reserved for future flagship model.

Yes that detail is not correct for DT2.

3 Likes

So many digitalis for sale now here in Sweden its nuts! Nows the time to grab a super cheap version 1 for sureā€¦ :sweat_smile: