Introducing Digitakt II

Yes that’s what I meant!

I just use one of these. £0.87 each from AliExpress :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I think it’s important to put this into perspective: 650€ in 2017 is 915 in today’s money. Add increased manufacturing costs and you end up at what the DTII sells for today. You can blame inflation and the chip shortage for that.

7 Likes

That’s right, money today is worth much less, and prices for anything in general have increased even besides this fact.

I wasn’t comparing the price of DT1 and DT2.

I was talking about whether I want to spend £900 today, for a sampler that doesn’t have polyphony.

I have a nice collection of vintage synth samples and I enjoy creating polyphonic patches on my Deluge and playing chords. If the DT2 was polyphonic I would have one in my hands already.

I am still tempted though, as it looks like a really nice upgrade.

7 Likes

DT2 offers better workarounds for playing chords. But granted, it’s still just a workaround.

Would LOVE a decent UX to share voices and play chords on DT2!

4 Likes

Hi. Can you add the AliExpress link here? I have that Ripcord but this seems more neater.

Make sure you select 12V DC5.5x2.5

4 Likes

XTPower XT-20000QC3 is the one I have, and it works flawlessly + came with many adapters, I don’t think I’ve needed to buy a set of additional adapters.

But maybe we should continue this discussion in the appropriate place:

Yeah this was already hard to swallow with DT1 but I absolutely cannot back them up on this design decision for the DT2. Absolutely unreal that something like the lofi-12 XT can manual slice and has polyphony at 1/2 of the DT2 price but the DT2 cannot despite seemingly having this much more headroom for processing power.

5 Likes

Just arrived via UPS ;D

13 Likes

I’m not justifying the price of a DT ii but an sp 404 does not have the elektron sequencer and that’s what people are willing to pay more for.

DT 1 will always be a part of my setup,i love the mono drums <3

2 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

You can sample a chord from a synth

Yes of course, just can’t play chords

Now that we have 16 tracks to work with, why not dedicate 3 or 4 to sequencing (different than playing I know) each note of a chord individually? Besides notes, this also allows different per-track settings for pan, envelope times, LFO depth etc to build up big sounding chords… plus you can get into experimental stuff like having each track a different bar length for ever-evolving progressions.

3 Likes

Alright. Newb here, head spinning with all the options having gone from M:S to DT2.

Question: What’s the slickest way to build a sample chain (usable by grid machine) from 16 samples on the DT2 itself. I know about the software available, but if there’s some way that’s relatively slick on the hardware itself, that would be cool.

I’m thinking 16 samples allocated to consecutive steps on a pattern and re-sample … but I can’t think of a slick way of loading those 16 samples to consecutive steps.

Had a look at trig mode -> preset pool, but that appears to be no use unless, perhaps, the 16 samples are also the first ones in the project.

Any ideas ?

Here’s an unrequested opinion from someone who’s had all the Elektron boxes at one point.

Pros:

1. Stereo samples - already opened up a huge world for me with my modular.
  2. Longer samples - see above
  3. Euclidean is fun
  4. Chorus!

Cons:

1. Song button placement. Should have kept the pattern and track buttons in the same place and then put the song button above. I’m changing patterns a lot more often than songs.
  2. Pattern changer - I miss the old way. The extra button press is annoying.
  3. Needs a way to save samples to different folders
  4. Mono sample recording is necessary. Just cause we have stereo doesn’t mean we always need to waste space on stereo samples.
6 Likes

Another way to do it is to load the 16 samples into the preset pool, load a new patten and assign samples to each consecutive track. Kind of takes the same amount of time though, so better to just do it with steps. Then you can lower the BPM to a degree that the longest sample needs to play out, and then resample 16 steps.

1 Like