Introducing Digitakt II

It’s the way all Elektron machines should run with options going forward. A lot of my projects on Syntakt will run up to 16 patterns, and with 12 tracks total, I am fine with locking in to 12 machines for the whole project if it means seamless transition of parameters between patterns.

Song mode alleviated some of the planning, but if live mass parameter changes between patterns are part of the song structure, you have to manually get parameters to the matching point which requires a lot of work & rehearsal. The experience when the next pattern is queued feels like a race against the clock.

2 Likes

I’m staggered all of these (and other) enhancements were done with pretty much no change to the number and placement of buttons.

3 Likes

This could easily be construed as “if it meant no difference to the layout why didn’t they bloody do it the first time?” :wink:

2 Likes

1 ) Hardware limitations
2) You never know how a piece of equipment will be used. Look at the 303 and the 606 for example.

3 Likes

I’ll have to wait to use the unit but the new implement of kits is still not clicking.

It seems as though every pattern still gets its own pre linked kit? When you save in these areas, is it just saved for that project?

Because I know you can also save kits globally for recall. While making a song though, I don’t want to have 10 various of the same kit wasting space in the same place I’d want to save something like a preconfigured 808 “kit.”

Additionally it seems like quite a bit of steps to use the new kit for mixing purposes across multiple patterns. It’s not lot the analogs in that you can assign kits to various patterns ahead of time.

1 Like

In other words, you’re saying “If I can see a way it fits into the UI then it must be simple to code ?” :wink:

1 Like

The game changer is in the ‘performance kit’. Which as I understand, carries over parameter changes on tracks between patterns.

1 Like

Im not saying anything mate. Just an old man shouting at clouds. I hardly understand how most of my kit works externally let alone internally.

1 Like

Oh, I thought it did the opposite. Allowed non destructive tweaking without the hassle of func yes, func no yadda yadda

Who here thinks they will eventually add a sample slice mode and polyphonic sequencing? It seems too strange not to include these features and im thinking they must be working on them for a coming update?

From the manual:

For what you are describing - my understanding is if you have the perform kit active on pattern 1, do parameter tweaks, move to pattern 2 (tweaks from pattern 1 will carry over to parameter 2), then back to pattern 1 (tweaks will still be in effect). If you turn off the perform kit pattern 1 should then revert to the original state? It says it doesn’t auto save so I would assume your assumption is also correct.

2 Likes

One tester really struggled to liberate theirs… but it was there, don’t give up hope, but it’s usually easy to know when powered on if it’s absent … possibly the tear off got dislodged on assembly and was just removed ? Better rid anyway imho !

1 Like

I really had to try hard to get my fingernail under mine and get it peeled off. At first, I was thinking the same that it was not even on there. Hopefully that is the case with yours as well.

1 Like

I am reminded of an old joke about 5.25" floppies: “I got the outer envelope off easily enough, but the inner envelope took a lot more work!”

10 Likes

I do and posted basically the same thing earlier… somewhere… on one of the threads. I think they are coming, we’ll see. I think they need a zoom mode first for sample slice to really work though.

1 Like

Hey, I don’t want to rain on your parade with the new device. It was my second Digitakt, that we bought new and I could return with full refund, the first I sold because I wanted to go with computer and controllers only, which didn’t work out. I always loved the sound of the Digitakt, it immediately inspired me to create stuff, and recently I thought I had the perfect combination with a Syntakt and Octatrakt, for this time. Then Digitakt II came, and I was torn. I didn’t exactly need it (probably, without trying it), I had all I thought I wanted, but I was curious enough, so I did the switch. So here I am. It’s a different thing, with a different sound. I’m exploring now. At the moment, in inspires me to make different music, with a harder, more contemporary sound. But I don’t know if I like this, if this is way to go.

Thanks for letting me explore and do my thing.

3 Likes

:scream: Did the postman used it secretly?

The quality of the Timestretching, how do you people find it?

You can load DT1 projects, but they won’t sound the same, often very different, sometimes unrecognizable. It may be possible to tweak them back to satisfaction, but not always, I think. This has to be considered. If you want to keep your previous work with the Digitakt intact, I’d say, keep a model 1.

1 Like

I love it. very old-school time-stretchy, nice and grainy /musical. compared to welp, which I really dislike (to me sounds like Ableton’s warp algorithm circa 2003)

3 Likes

I appreciate the new stretching algorithm, but I would prefer if those grainy artifacts would get smoothed out. I tried to play with an LFO on sample length and tuning and it kind of worked, but abletons Texture algorithm is certainly better.

1 Like