Introducing Analog Heat +FX

To be fair I don’t see it as a big problem personally, even if it’s technically not ideal, if it’s your end of chain then you probably won’t be bypassing it anyway - clean boost is your bypass mode :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s not really a big issue imho. The only problem I have is in live situations where my output volume will be quite low. So an option to add 12db gain would be welcome.

3 Likes

I’m thrilled to get one.
I get it tomorrow, and I get my OT back from repairs on Friday.
STOKED

Cool, maybe it will work out on master inserts.

3 Likes

I just made a short video about setting the levels for the AH without having a huge volume drop. First i’m recording through the AH mk1 on bypass and then directly into the soundcard.

8 Likes

I agree: i’m in a studio setting mostly so no issue there (can always use a gain plugin after the heat).
but for live it might be a problem. Oto boum is superior in this regard as it does do true bypass (although using the boum I also get some hum when pumping the drive/gain)

I got my AH+FX the other day and love it. The workflow I found slightly convoluted and the UI rather cramped at first, but I’m mostly over that now and wouldn’t want to be without it on my send effects channel. It’s an odd device in the Elektron lineup with some unique controls but it’s super versatile.

Forget the effects for a moment - this is an evolution of the Heat MK2 in that you get a few key new features such as a noise gate (VERY useful for taming the chaos of those right-hand circuits), a compressor and bass mono-fier. Those three utilities make the +FX an even more capable end of chain device for performance or jamming.

The effects aren’t flashy - think of them as basic tools that can be modulated with the envelope follower and LFOs. My favourite new thing is actually the noise module found within the Warble block - you can map it to the envelope follower for an effect similar to the RC-20 Retro Color.

Someone on YouTube said that the +FX reminded them of RC-20 Retro Color plugin, which for those who haven’t used it, is a combination of five modules - noise, wobble, distortion, sample/bit-rate reduction, reverb and tape flutter. This was actually a really astute observation - the +FX is basically that, but in hardware, and analogue in its drive circuits, with analogue EQ, an analogue multimode filter, an envelope follower for loads of functions (rather than just the noise like on RC-20), three LFOs (which can be set to trig mode so basically more envelope followers), a delay, USB audio interface… It’s a pretty great package honestly. Plus those blacked-out knobs and red lights are visually appealing. :smiley:

20 Likes

Good points! couldnt resist, mine came in today

3 Likes

I’ll get mine in 2 hours at my local store. They were kind enough to keep it for me for two weeks or so. :smiley:

2 Likes

could be a feature request but it would nice to power on to last power off state (regardless of save state). unless i’ve missed a setting.

1 Like

This thing is bad ass. Instant love. I replaced my deco and RNC and added everything this box does. Just fired it up and scrolled some presets.

6 Likes

It’s here.

9 Likes

Yeap. 3db is still quite a lot though and you’re very close to clipping there. To get the best out of heat imho it’s better to lower that a bit to hit around 80% (no biggy if a peak goes over that every now and then). Certainly in live situations I would not want to be so close to the max on the input. But ymmv

So if you lower it a bit you’ll see the difference is getting quite big. 6+db at least.

I have played with A4 & AH+ tonight and couldn’t believe how nice it can sound!
Heat distorsion + envelope follower on filter/res on top of A4 own ones offers so much more possibilities and character!!

:yum:

14 Likes

Yeah, it’s not optimal for a live situation but it’s not a 20 db volume drop as some people said. I only use the AH at home anyway. Too big and heavy for my live setup.

But maybe elektron can do something about the volume drop with a firmware update. Losing volume is never a good thing if you want to mix or “master” a track.

Aaaaaand?

1 Like

Has anyone noticed that the resonance peak is less wild than on the AH mkii?

Lol. I didn’t have the chance to use it yet but… something should pop up in the Current thread soon. I’ll probably use it on the Vermona PERfourMER first. I’m curious about this.

Random sequences from the meloDICER and tweaking the AH+FX with random LFOs and Env follower. Those were my first thoughts.

1 Like

OOOOOF!
I’ve seen friends with Heats and sets sounded great. First time I’ve gotten to use one. BEEFY!
The “notch” filter with quite a bit of drive set in just the right spot really sounds fat.
Need to futz with the other effects more.
So far the warble is nice and has its own character. Not as silky as a deco. I may have to get another deco just because I love its unique vibe.
I also need to dive into the lfos on AHFX.
Definitely excited to get my OT back tomorrow and set it up to get some immediate control over the Heats parameters.
However I’m going to use Heat as is to really learn the thing.
Super happy with this purchase tho.
Definitely a solid addition to my rig.

Not sure I’ll continue to use it on master inserts.
I’d definitely like to choose what I send to it, because some instruments sound really good completely blown out with distortion etc.
:black_heart:

5 Likes

My plan is to use it on individual Track(s) and then, when the Song is recorded, use it as a « Master FX chain ». My hybrid setup is screaming for this.

4 Likes

It’s definitely going to take me some practice to find the sweet spot where it’s subtle

1 Like