Internal Resampling help

Ok I’m officially stumped and this is after watching a few tutorials on how to do this and trying to find it in the manual.

So this is what I’m doing i have 2 samples playing on track one and two
track 3 is assigned to recording three
pressing [Function] and Record A-B
turning off INAB AND INCD
SRC3 set to MAIN
Hold trig 1 and press [MIDI] to assign the trig to record SRC3
Press play
now when i go into edit mode I can see the sample being recorded over and over
I press stop and then mute tracks 1 + 2
press play i hear the sample but it gradually fades to nothing

What am i doing wrong thanks for your help on this.

(edit) I think I’ve got it now, as soon as the track starts remove the first trig and setting loop to off seems to help.

It seems like a very complicated process for such a simple function.

1 Like

I haven’t had my OT for long, and I haven’t attempted to record the way you are yet, but I did have the same problems getting things to record and play back properly at first. I spent a week doing nothing but recording into the OT just so I could learn the process well enough to make it less of a ball ache. Now sampling is a breeze for me. Push through the the learning phase, and repeat until it becomes muscle memory. Then it’s not too daunting a t all.

1 Like

Ok, so as I understand you want to sample one pattern.
So you should put on track3 a one short record trig (using function + trig1 in record mode when the record A-B menu is active).
The record length should be set to the number of step of the pattern (usually 16 or 64). SRC3 should be set to main out or even better to T8 if T8 is set as the master track.

Now each time you rearm T3 it will record the pattern being played into the record buffer3.
It may seem complicated at first, but once you get used to it, it is a very poweful way of doing things. You can then for instance use the fader to move from T1/T2 to T3. Or you can create custom delay effect by putting several record trig, and record constantly on track …

1 Like

i am having a similar issue here. Had the Octatrack for a few days and so far no huge issues- thanks to all of the videos I watched waiting for it to arrive.

I am having a problem with after I record/edit/save a sample, the track I used to sample into keeps looping recording so I cannot use that track to replay the sample it created. I’ve hit disarm a million times. I cannot figure out what tiny little simple problem is before me. Every time I press play, the icon turns into a little + and the loaded sample gets overwritten.

Help.

1 Like

read OP’s edit in the first post

1 Like

I explained that in my previous post. If you want to sample only once :
-use a one shot record trig (function + trig) instead of a ‘normal’ record trig.
-Make sure the record length is set to the number of step you want to sample.

Each time you re-arm the recording track, it will record just once.

2 Likes

read OP’s edit in the first post[/quote]
encouraging to hear that i’m getting somewhere. although a one shot record trig does it automatically :joy:

This is so maddening. You’d think there would be THOROUGH tutorials for this from Elektron. It’s a huge part of what this device does but there’s nothing clear and simple and step-by-step to walk you through it all. Pisses me off that I keep fucking around with this thing over and over and not making any progress. Why is this such a clusterfuck? I just want to record a few tracks into one, what is the deal??

Frustrated.

It’s just a complicated machine with a vague manual, but that’s part of the magic of it. It’s not for everybody and some will find they don’t like the flow and sell/trade it for another device. If it was for everybody then it wouldn’t do what it can do, and those that get along with it wouldn’t have that option to go for. If you give it some time it does make more and more sense as you go, it’s very logical. I hope by reading the manual, exploring the forum, and doing a search for tutorials, you’ll find the info you need and make it work. If not maybe consider another device with a more suitable workflow for you, no need to be frustrated doing what you love… Cheers…

1 Like

unforch you can’t route multiple tracks into one buffer…

you can route them to CUE and resample that. or you could use MAIN and resample that. or you could use TR8 as MASTER and resample that.

plenty of options, and whilst your frustration is understandable, it will all become clear.

if it’s not working, take it apart and start again — don’t keep going and trying to track down an error, it’s easier to build from scratch and get it right that way.

also imo, there’s not a step-by-step from elektron because the functionality is open and implementable in so many ways that them giving you a prescribed ‘rinse and repeat’ format would kind of negate the beauty of what they’ve engineered. my $0.02

2 Likes