Interest check Separate outs mod

I’m game

Yes Please!
I’m only curious how the OS would handle the assignment of the extra outs. I assume there must be a way since the Keys can do it.
(Apologies if this topic has been covered already in the thread I didn’t read through the whole thing).
Thanks!

Interested ![/quote]

Bear in mind that darenager made this proposal in 2013, before Overbridge was announced and everyone was wondering why the AF did not have individual outputs.[/quote]
As I understand it, Overbridge support for programs other than Ableton Live is underwhelming (apologies if this assumption is incorrect). ?

Im in!

Someone allready took a look into the AK and how the connections are made to the outputs?
I could imagine some sort of breakout-cable-plug mounted into the A4

1 Like

I would still dig this!

Any more news on this plan?

Nah. We are all just waiting to see if the new Elektron box receives Overbridge streams and converts them to analog outs, mixes & records them etc.

The last “news” on this plan was in December 2013, before Overbridge was announced.

1 Like

I threw a header in that spot to test. These pins are indeed stereo outputs per voice. The columns are L/R, the rows a Channels 1-4.

You can take these directly as outputs, but I’m assuming that they are not buffered so you’d need to take a bit of care, ideally adding a little buffer circuit between these pins and an audio jack. My guess is that’s the bit that @darenager was working on, but I also have to assume this is a dead project.

2 Likes

That’s cool! At least we know it’s possible now on a technical level now.

Yeah I kind of abandoned the idea due to lack of interest and because a solderless option was not really ideal, plus warranty concerns and OB.

1 Like

I’ll see if I can’t work something up. It’ll be good to have an excuse to learn KiCad.

I’m sure there are plenty of out-of-warranty folks that would be interested in tinkering, and installation should be no harder than something like a Kenton MIDI to CV converter kit. The toughest bit is probably drilling the case.

IF I ever get anything done it will not be a kit, but probably a PCB available through OSH Park or something like that.

I’ll post here with any updates, but it’s not a priority project for me so don’t bug me for updates :content:

3 Likes

Are we there yet ? :wink:

In all seriousness, if you’re sharing, or in general. How does one go about nicely buffering (this is actually for my MS20) there’s too many options/opinions on Muffs (not sure how i’d be any better served with another one though !)

FWIW, if I were you, or Daren, i’d probably offer a breakout cable via a multi pin connector option to keep the case drilling to a minimum

A simple unity gain buffer using an op-amp should do. You should be able to pull the circuit right off a chip spec sheet.

The board will likely just be a bunch of output buffers with a header to tap the audio. Where/how you route it will be up to the end user. There’s not a lot of height in the case for adding sockets to the chassis, and not everyone will want to implement it the same way (I would personally do TRS 3mm jacks, where some people would want a multi-pin breakout cable/dongle thingy). So implementation will be up to the user as they see fit, the board will just help them pull the voices from the A4.

Probably just a couple of simple quad op-amp buffers would do the trick, although I’m not sure they are unbuffered (long time since I looked inside) so possibly not necessary?

I do not have time or the need for separate outs at present, but good luck!

It’s tricky to tell. It seems to be a multi-layer PCB so it’s not possible to trace the circuit, and I’m not even going to bother asking Elektron for the schematics (that’s an obvious no). So I figure that adding a buffer can’t hurt, even if its redundant. I’d rather not blow out a voice!

It might be worth asking Elektron, they will most likely answer if they are buffered or not - it isn’t like sharing their schematics so I’d imagine they would be cool.

good point, I’ll do that! It would be great to skip the whole intermediate board idea

What a lovely timing !
I was just jamming and have some fun with an analog echo. And for sure I’d go for this mod.
My idea is to create a wooden side and etch a hole in it and put the cables through the ventillation holes solder the 3.5mm jacks and a nice wooden faceplate like bastl instruments or glue it together from 2 pices like an u shaped and a full side panel, hmm :slight_smile:

If so which opamp would you recommanded?

2 Likes