Interest check Separate outs mod

All I can say is that controls Main and Fx, can’t solder right now to check!

Same behaviour with AK and MKII ?

Just checked on the mkII - track level affects the volume of the voice to the main and individual outs

3 Likes

Hi, I just did the mod.
Has anyone who did it as well had any problems without buffering?
Also I connected the upper left pin to the tip, the upper right to the second bit of a stereo jack and the ground to ground and so on. I dont know why but row 1- 4 dont seem to be track 1 - 4 but in a different order.
I made stereo jacks but mono cables with all just connecting to tip and ground to leave the second channel unconnected.
I get the single voices but when trying to use the fx with my mixer it seems that I dont get a 100% dry signal when using send return configuration with taking just the return left whereas my voices are panned right or the other way around.
I havent used the a4 a lot as overbridge ne er worked properly and a stereo out just doesnt do the job.
Has anyone managed to grab 4 voices and use the fx send / return without having the original signal with the fx return?
Oh and thanl for sharing all the knowledge

1 Like

Nope. That is the known caveat with this mod.

2 Likes

A pitty. Even with panning right and taking fx just left it doesnt work properly :frowning:
Still a great mod though.
Did anyone have bad experience by not buffering the outputs?

So far I can say the mod is a game changer. The A4 does really nice drums / percussion which really start shining with eq and compressor. Three channels are more than enough for me leaving one for bass to top the sub of my minitaur.

3 Likes

I suppose as there arent any further comments tvere wont be asolution but I might ask anyway. Is known where the signals get mixed before the stereoout? I would be happy cutti g the main voices off. Not sureif it isjust my imagination but the seperate voices sound a bit stronger.
Grabbin just the fx signal through overbridge or even better the a4 app so I could have the signal in total mix isnt possible i suppose?

Is this even possible with the Analog Keys or Analog four mk2? I mean disconnect internal voice from main outs…would be really flexible to be able to use 1 input on the AK a4mk2 from a send FX on a analog mixer and mix with the 4 analog direct outputs…and maybe even pan the FX to be able to get 2 sends one delay and one reverb send…or run the second input with a eurorack VCO thru the analog synth engine straight out to the individual outs without going to the main outs. Possible with AK/a4mk2?

I just tested my AK. In fact you can disconnect the internal voices from the stereo outs. But, whatever is going through the FX track will still go to the main outs.
Go to: global -> audio routing -> to main and uncheck the voices you don’t want to hear from the main outs (with the setting to fx you could also disable the send effects for any of the internal voices).
Now you can route your voices via their individual outs somewhere, and bring them back in via the two inputs through the FX track and to the main outs.

Added: but you can not route am external input to any of the individual outs.

1 Like

Thanks for testing this! Is it also possible to do 100% FX/wet on the inputs thru the main outs?

I had thought one could bring in sound thru the analog synth engine via the inputs (change elektrons VCO2 with a feedback osc that comes from the inputs or something like that)…but i guess when doing this it can not come out via separate outs, only via main outs?..hmmm…would have been real nice if that had worked to streamline the eurorack with A4 VCA/filter ENV, LFO’s FX etc etc.

Are the individual outs DC coupled on the a4mk1 or mk2/AK? And are we getting modular levels or line levels? It would be cool to send out 1 track from A4 VCO’s to FM eurorack VCO’s…then maybe even bring that FM signal back in to another track on the A4 for filtering and VCA.

100% wet is not possible, as these are still send effects, even in the FX track. You will always hear the original sound.

You can route external audio through one of the synth voices, and use filter etc. on them. So I expect one can do what you wanted - what I don’t get at the moment: I don’t get any sound or of my individual outs. Even with an internal oscillator… Normally I don’t use them, but I know I have in the past. I’ll have to investigate.

The individual outs are line level and stereo (I have no idea why), with a balanced connection you’ll get phase cancellation.

Now this is embarrassing: the respective channel on my recorder was muted :see_no_evil:

So it does work: external audio -> input L to voice -> through filters etc. -> individual out (main out muted)
From the individual out you could go: -> external effect -> input R -> FX track with effects -> main out.

1 Like

And talking about eurorack: the AK has 4 CV outs (up to +/- 10V) with trigger, gate, env or lfo functionality. The lfos go well into the audio range, so I guess you can fm your eurorack voice from there. I don’t have any, so maybe someone else can confirm this works…

ok, so i have to think about this in a different way (not use the send FX on the mixer, but use a separate sub mixer and use the main outs on the submixer for the 2 inputs on the elektron…not as flexible for FX because everything on the inputs will get the same FX send amount, but maybe more flexible in other ways, like going thru the analog synth path)

I think stereo on individual outs could be used with p-locks…say a bassdrum preset and p-lock to the left and a snare preset with p-lock panned to the right, that way you only need to use 1 track for 2 sounds with separate analog audio out.

So no 100% wet on the input…seems like we have the same problem with a AK as with a modded analog4 mk1? ie, phasing problems if we send the signal from the individual outs back into the inputs…but wait…phase cancellation u say!!! Would that not mean that if we send the inverse signal (in correct amount) to the input we would get 100% wet signal from the main outs? (cancel out the internal dry signal )

haha, easy to miss sometimes, esp if you dont use it often…but good to know it works! I’m thinking about getting a analog4 mk1 (and mod it) or a analog keys…not sure if there are any firmware differences between the analog keys and the a4mk1 with regards to the routing of separate out. I like the size of the a4mk1 and it would match my octatrack mk1…but the keys looks nice with the joystick and the ext.controller button for the keyboard.

YES! 4 CV outs with the sequecer would be fantastic!

You are right about p-locks and panning! I never thought about that.

With the individual outs, I simply used a mono cable, that gives me one mono signal which goes back to one of the two inputs. The other one could receive a second mono signal from somewhere else. Or you go stereo from one of the individual outs and then into both inputs, stereo again (the input signal can be panned).

Cancelling the dry signal sounds like an interesting idea: voice -> individual out -> invert externally -> input without FX send -> main out. In addition: voice -> internal FX -> main out. Might work, but how well?

I have a Mk1 with separate outs modded by another Elektronaut @slicetwo. It basically taps to signal path just before the fx buss, and that signal still goes through the fx and then the main output. So the firmware doesn’t need to change, it’s almost like having 4 internal splitter cables in there.

Old pic showing outs-

3 Likes

I would like to have the option to NOT go to the main out at the same time if I use a track from the individual out…but as i understand sound on the modded outs go away (even on the modded outs) if we change the routing “main out muted” for a track on the modded a4 (but maybe that feature is not even in the A4mk1 firmware because there are no individual outs from the factory?), but this seems to works on the AK (mute a track to the main out but still have it sound on the individual out). Maybe the mod outputs need to be tapped from another point on the circuitboard for it to work similarly to the way the AK works. Anyone tried mixing in a inverted version of the track to the input and see if that cancel out the sound from that track on the main outs?

I’m interested in this.
I really want to get my bass on a separate channel than my pads. One separate output would suffice for me (or maybe two? :smiley: for some percussion too).

There’s the Voice Routing menu so I could have everything except the bass coming from main outs and then take one voice out through a separate out, right?

EDIT: No, Wrong! People are saying in this thread that turning off Voice Routing turns off the Individual Output as well.
This is probably a deal breaker for this mod, since it does compromise the stereo+FX outputs. If I’m going to have mono pre-FX signals then I’m happy enough panning voices across the 2 outputs.

I never modded anything but this doesn’t seem that hard, I’ve done some repairs. Also I know a guy nearby that could help me in case of need - maybe I should give him a call.

Why Elektron decided on 2outputs-only on such an otherwise flexible machine is something I can’t understand.