Interest check Separate outs mod

I admit I still don’t know how I would to the mod.

I wonder if it’s possible to get the 4 mono signal before Amp / Pan. @panelist?

I also have this unused little 9v mixer. I think its the best solution for me, as I really like to use random pan. It would be routed to AH, maybe via OT Cue out… :loopy:

It might be possible, but without schematics it would take some probing of the circuit to make sure. What makes the mod straightforward is that the stereo outs are already brought out to a header.

2 Likes

It’s not really clear for me. With the mod, is it possible to have the main stereo out of the original outs and 4 stereo tracks (without fx of course) out of four new output ?
How about the issue @quartzwatch encounter with the panning ? Is it possible to avoid this and keeping the main stereo mix while output 4 dry tracks ?

You can definitely get the 4 individual outs as well as the stereo out. I was using panning because I wanted to have tracks only come out of the individual outs but not in the main mix.

FWIW, I no longer use panning of the tracks in my setup to remove them from the main mix. I now treat the the individual outs as “post-fader” sends to run to my analog drive , and keep my main A4 mix in stereo.

2 Likes

Interesting. So how do you return your sends?
No phasing?
Did you try AH ? I have AH and AD.

I guess you use a mixer but do you plug individual L&R outputs and send both?

I’ve only used it a bit so far, there is some phasing but my sound is pretty murky so it works. I’ve been using a Behringer MicroMix (4 to 1 mono mixer). Having the output in stereo definitely makes it harder to work with, I think my strategy will be to use both L and R but only for two of the individual outs.

Better off using some 10k resisitors to sum the L+R to mono, or just use the left channel, those kind of cables and adapters are fine for sending 1 source to 2 destinations but not for mixing 2 sources to 1 destination.

1 Like

The cable I linked to I’m pretty sure does the same built into the housing. You could also roll your own or build it into the A4 individual jacks.

It is designed for guitar which is a much higher impedance than the op-amp outputs on the A4, the 10k resistors I suggested will prevent each of the L+R outputs from loading each-other. Obviously it is your call, but personally I wouldn’t risk it.

2 Likes

Ah fair. Outside my knowledge area (tho I know I’m taking risks screwing around). I’ll remove it so folks don’t make mistakes.

This?

http://www.rane.com/note109.html

No worries, it is a common myth that it is ok to use splitters as mixers - lots of people use those Belkin Rockstar as a “mixer” for their Volcas or Pocket Operators, bad idea as they only have very low ohm resistors inside (if any) which means that you are essentially sending outputs into outputs, not good for the output op-amps, and when you change the output volume of one all the others will rise, so not a proper mixer either.

2 Likes

Yes that should also be fine.

2 Likes

Oh OK, so you can’t remove the voice from the main mix with the “voice routing” menu ? There is no way to remove the voices from the main mix ?

You can, voice routing is made for that AFAIK.

Removing it from the main mix via the settings also stops the mods individual out from working.

Sure? That’s disappointing. The signal can go to Fx, so there must be a way to have it somewhere, but it can be another solder story… :sketchy:

1 Like

Damn, that what I though ! If there is no way to only have the individual outs I’m afraid that kill it for me…

1 Like

Yea, that’s why before I was panning all the track signals full right and only using the L output from the main mix. You lose stereo and the fx are less exciting (tho still useful 4 sure).

The main reason I stopped using the A4 panned setup is I’m using a similar trick with my octatrack, using the pan as an fx send of sorts and running my main mix in mono. I put my A4 back into a stereo configuration so some of my gear would be able to have stereo fun :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t have a mkI to test with anymore - can you just turn the track volume down? I wonder if that controls the input of the main mixer or the output of the individual voice

1 Like