Interest check Separate outs mod

Update on this:

So far all is working well, the only thing is that if you use a mono cable in an individual stereo output, it shorts one of the L/R channels out of the main mix. So the outputs could stand to be further buffered, but it works well enough for my uses so I’m just leaving it as-is.

3 Likes

x Panelist

I imagine that you don’t want to make the MOD for other people…

I’m very interested in the MOD, but I can’t do by myself (I’m totally a disaster in “bricolage”).
But I know a person that maybe can do.

I need to know exactly what material you have used.

Thanks in advance if you can help me.

Why Elektron design the individual output as stereo ?

it is useless!!

In the manual of analog key part architecture, it seems that the individual are just the same signal splitted into two to have stereo individual output.

So do you think we can do the mod with only mono individual output ?

(with 4 mono output jack or two stereo like the analog rytm)

Yea, i was wondering about the stereo out part too, seems redundant. It’s not TRS connection? . Slightly off topic, was looking at the audio i/o pins of the VST in my modular host a few days back, i was noticing all the mono voices had stereo input pairs and thought, geez I hope they aren’t wasting usb bandwidth to send the same signal twice for each voice… Presumably it’s just split into two in the plugin for host compatibility reasons?

Not quite useless - of course you could just use 4 TS jacks and have 4 mono outs by using either just the left or right pads. But using TRS jacks and wiring as stereo means that you can for example have a kick and snare on track 1, p-lock the kick hard right, and p-lock the snare hard left so that they can be processed separately externally.

7 Likes

But using TRS jacks and wiring as stereo means that you can for example
have a kick and snare on track 1, p-lock the kick hard right, and
p-lock the snare hard left so that they can be processed separately
externally.

Oh yes. it’s really interesting!!!

1 Like

Do you think we can made this mod without soldering anything ?

And pass the cable through ventilation.

In order to keep warranty ?

Yes, if you can find a solderless pin header (they do exist, but difficult to source) this was one pf the main reasons I gave up on the idea of making a kit.

2 Likes

What about the ground?

Yep. Interested.

Interested too.

Awesome thread :relaxed:

1 Like

So, is all thats needed is to solder a 8 pin header onto pcb then plug a lead in which is soldered to connectors on back panel?

Looks wicked.

I was just thinking… how would you do to get separate balanced output ?

Posting to confirm that I have done this mod to my A4 as well and its great. I’ve had no issues so far and its really opened up the synth for me and my computer-less set-up.

I concur that you should open up the synth ahead of time and ensure the jacks you are picking up fit correctly in the synth. Its tight but definitely doable. I can’t seem to find my order for the ones I used but if I stumble upon it I’ll post it.

Edit: One “issue” is if you mute the voice from the main output via settings, it is also muted from the individual output. But since the individual outputs are stereo, I have my main output panned left and all the individuals panned right so my main output is the remaining tracks. Its ok by since I only run mono into my octatrack, but yea not great.

10 Likes

Could you post pictures ?
What kind of connectors did you use ?

2 Likes

hi there,

very interesting topic!!!
same question:

What kind of connectors did you use ?

thx

1 Like

Here are the parts I used, ordered off Newark. I picked up 5 jacks incase 1 was/became faulty:

I also used jumper wire, stripping and soldering one end to the phono jacks. Similar to this: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/adafruit-industries-llc/825/1528-1161-ND/5353621

2 Likes

Can anyone with an analog keys confirm that my issue with the individual outs & mutes is the same (see april 12th post)? I’m curious if the functionality may be improved with the MKII so you don’t have to pan to remove the voice from the main mix. I’d love to run my verb in stereo…

We’re gonna be doing this mod today on Twitch.tv/oh_bother

Wish us luck!

7 Likes