Inevitable machinedrum

This is true! But in 2013 I worked retail and it would have taken me a year or two to save that much money… and then I’d be broke. So I’m okay paying 25% more when I can afford it responsibly.

4 Likes

$1740 in 2008 is $2,398.69 in 2022 according to this us inflation calculator. a mint md uw mkii itb >$2.4k is…reasonable?

Talkin about value for discontinued products doesn’t make any sense.
In my opinion:
Do you REALLY need the peculiar lofi sound of MD or do you play experimental electronic music?
If yes, buy it. Viceversa buy Syntakt.
Do you REALLY need live-sampling or processing?
If yes buy it. Viceversa other samplers are more useful and straightforward.

2 Likes

st is sick a master compressor fw update could bring it into md sonic territory np

2 Likes

which dirt pedal(s) do you use ? i tried a friends ds-1 and a rat at a music store once and neither responded well to my casio

1 Like

̶a̶s̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶d̶s̶-1̶?̶ ̶

edit: didn’t see quote…dt+st=mduw

1 Like

Was this the case before song mode? :upside_down_face:

1 Like

and will people spring for a +drive-style factory modification when takt mkii is daisychain-able

I paid around $1100 for my MDUW in 2013 which I found to be a pretty fair price. Frankly I think it’s one of the absolute best drum machines ever created and an essential and iconic instrument, if I didn’t already have one I would easily spend 2k plus to get my hands on one…not to say that that’s what they should be going for but unfortunately when an instrument like this gets discontinued the second hand prices go up, I don’t really get the logic of fluctuating prices of “vintage” gear but that’s just the way it goes I guess.

Either way, my answer to just about anyone who’s asking if they should get a Machinedrum is YES absolutely! As long as you’re the kind of person that enjoys programming you’re own stuff from scratch and make electronic music then the answer is always yes regardless of genre you can fit the MD into literally anything that benefits from electronic percussion as long as it’s programmed properly. If I were forced to sell off all my gear the MDUW would be one of the few that I couldn’t live without for sure

4 Likes

If you’re talking about the Syntakt, dont think it was built with that sort of expandability in mind? One would think a delightful weirdo would’ve already found the connectors if so.

Anybody knows, how many MachineDrums got produced?

No idea for the mk2s, but here are the approx production figures for the mk1s.

Note that there was a UW retrofit/upgrade available for non-UWs for a year or so. I don’t know how many were retrofitted.

2 Likes

Where do these figures come from?

A personal email from Jon Mårtensson who used to work for Elektron. I asked him when the mk2s were introduced in Nov 2007, and I bought the very last UW upgrade they had in stock.

6 Likes

Hard to say how many sold from 2007 to 2016, maybe the numbers tripled?

1 Like

Hard to say. Shoot them an email :slightly_smiling_face:

A cheap Strymon Deco mk1 was permanently hook to my MD, I sold it to fund a CBA GenLoss2 but it was more appropriate.
A Boum is also a very good choice, if you have the money.

1 Like

Speaking of inevitable Machinedrum…

Could not refuse this when it showed up for sale. I thought the new panel and screen would be sacrilegious but in person it’s quite a thing of beauty. Albeit, a fingerprint-attracting beauty. Luckily the original panel’s included if I change my mind.

7 Likes

Got mine as part of a MD+MnM bundle including a Company of Quails stand and TM-1 for $1800 … years ago. Both top of the line.

(And yes still debating whether selling the MnM was wise…)

1 Like

just refresh my md and mnm,change the loose knobs, change all screws, cleaned

Never think about to sell them

7 Likes