Inevitable machinedrum

Yes. They exist in both the non-UW and the UW.

3 Likes

The only machines unique to the UW are the ROM play, RAM record and RAM play machines. Everything else is also in the non-UW.

3 Likes

for the price of what the uw versions are going, you can get both md mk2 + a brand new octatrack for about the same price or less

4 Likes

I think you ruled it out pretty quickly…
AR offers both synthesis and sampling, and covers a similar territory as DT.
I really enjoy MD more when it has a dirt pedal behind, btw, and AR has dirt covered already ^^.

Points where MD shines are IMO

• synthesis: it’s digital, but 12 bits so there is something round/warm in the sound. The filters are good as well.
  • CTRL+AL: same as Digi/Model series, it’s instant mayhem, but the reload function uses the same hold key, so it makes it very fast and failproof.
  • instant resample à la OT (UW)
  • freely assignable LFOs

UW+ is very useful, to have several projects or to use samples.

As much as I love mine, I do believe $2500 is way too much.
And not enough, you’ll like something like a Deco or an Analog Heat behind ^^

3 Likes

Something you should know: the MD’s maximum sample length is pretty short, samples are 12bit and mono. It will probably not work very well for backing tracks or field recordings.

2 Likes

The internal E12 samples and the User Waves are 12 bit, the rest is 24bit (FM, physical models etc.)

3 Likes

Paid 1000 Euros a couple years ago for a MINT mk2 UW+.

I guess it was just before the prices went up…

My guess is that they will keep going up (look at the prices for an 808 / 909 in the last couple of years)

Syntakt and iPad would give you compressors and all you’d need is a USB cable between the 2 devices. The MD is crazy, but the ST sequencer is better, and you can get some crazy shit from it.

Plus, with the iPad, you’ll have all the samplers and fx you need.

2 Likes

I just sold my UW for 1500€. I think it’s a good price for both parties.
The MnM on the other hand I wouldn’t let go of even for 3000€.

2 Likes

i see you are also of culture … i use a feedback mixer for this so the allure of uw is fedback ram machines

i’m misunderstanding the mechanics, is there a vid?

bricked

in 2013, a new non-uw mkii went for $989 … a new mnm sfx60 was $1540 new according to wkipe

yes.

today an ot mki is relatively affordable but in 5yrs it feels the like the md won’t be [already isn’t] while the ot still might?

would you say the ot has a sound? can the pick-up/read/play/neighbor machines feedback for a tone, like a mixer?

This is true! But in 2013 I worked retail and it would have taken me a year or two to save that much money… and then I’d be broke. So I’m okay paying 25% more when I can afford it responsibly.

4 Likes

$1740 in 2008 is $2,398.69 in 2022 according to this us inflation calculator. a mint md uw mkii itb >$2.4k is…reasonable?

Talkin about value for discontinued products doesn’t make any sense.
In my opinion:
Do you REALLY need the peculiar lofi sound of MD or do you play experimental electronic music?
If yes, buy it. Viceversa buy Syntakt.
Do you REALLY need live-sampling or processing?
If yes buy it. Viceversa other samplers are more useful and straightforward.

2 Likes

st is sick a master compressor fw update could bring it into md sonic territory np

2 Likes

which dirt pedal(s) do you use ? i tried a friends ds-1 and a rat at a music store once and neither responded well to my casio

1 Like

̶a̶s̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶d̶s̶-1̶?̶ ̶

edit: didn’t see quote…dt+st=mduw

1 Like

Was this the case before song mode? :upside_down_face:

1 Like

and will people spring for a +drive-style factory modification when takt mkii is daisychain-able