Inconsistent clicks (analog machines)

It’s easy to forget details when you have too much gear and everything has its own idiosyncrasies (or if you’re just gettin’ old like me) - but the old abrupt reconfiguration of a low frequency wave making clicks is more normal than not in my experience

Elektron made strides to appease DN owners bemoaning clicks, so you never know ! But my gut feeling is that this is something to work with/around

3 Likes

This dialog was very informative, thank you @avantronica and @JMGSound.

5 Likes

OK, so even after all this conversation (which has been beneficial for me) I still feel there is something not working right (or at least something that could be improved) with the envelopes. I went back to my Syntakt just now to test something.
Please don’t hate me for going back near the start again! :rofl:

Going back to my previous claim that if the decay on the synth page (from here I will refer to this as “osc decay” and the main envelope as “amp decay”) was longer than the amp envelope there would be a click. Well I still think this is true.
I just tried setting maximum osc decay (127) and then a really short amp decay (atck 2, hold 16, dec 16). I get the click even when waiting for the amp decay to finish but not waiting long enough for the osc decay to finish. In other words the OSC is still sounding due to the long decay even if the amp decay has finished. So when the envelope opens back up again there is still a residual sound there still from the osc decay. I hope I explained this well enough :rofl:

Edit: to add to this. It makes no sense for the osc decay to remain open when the amp decay has finished. Amp decay should have hierarchy. Maybe an improvement could be made here. Something like a rule, if amp envelope has finished, shut off osc decay envelope.

But you’re still feeding the (a proportion of) signal to the VCA, it’s just shut … you need to turn off the oscillator - the fact you can’t hear the output through the amp env is irrelevant, the signal is there knocking at the door

I know. But if I turn off the OSC using the decay it changes the overall shape of the sound, which reduces the effectiveness of having a hold stage on the amp envelope. If the amp envelope has finished I see no benefit for the osc decay to still be running, it can only cause issues in the next envelope. Therefore I see an improvement could be made here. That osc decay should be cut off when amp envelope has finished. This way no residual sound can leak through into the new envelope.
Unless maybe I missing a benefit to keeping the osc decay running while it is not audible anyway?

1 Like

I wonder if this topic will be subject to a review of sorts (wrt the oscillator being open for business) as you can see here, it can momentarily catch you out when switching machines

Further to that it’s quite nuanced in that even when you kill the oscillator’s dedicated decays, the sound does not drop as the machine may not have been triggered yet

The suggestion of linking envs will improve some of those issues where you may see/expect the voice as being silent already and unwittingly create those instantaneous transients

For overlapping notes there may be issues with mitigating this tendency

However it does sound like an idea they could explore to cover your scenario and it may be that the solution for the former and this one can be arrived at together so that the voice slips into a managed ‘silent’ mode

2 Likes

I hope they would consider looking at this. I will continue the discussion with support (they didn’t get back to me just yet) and hope it leads somewhere.
Maybe you would be a better person to pursue the idea with them? I believe you already have a good communication channel there right?

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to make things easier. For example, this thread is lengthy and full of confusion (mostly on my part, as I got somewhat sidetracked as to what my original observations were). A new topic with a concise description may be more useful?

I’ve had a few ideas adopted, but it’s all about timing and pitching something incontrovertibly good that just slips in - sometimes even those ideas get overlooked - e.g. there’s no way ‘yet’ to live record soundlocks nor quickly access Track Sound selection as per other devices where there are many convenient methodologies presently, typically double tap track - these things amongst others are what matter to me more than extra features - so in answer to your question I have no more sway than the next man, I just take my time to find things which fit in and try to rule out any reasons that may scupper it. Then play the waiting game. New threads raising prominence would soon backfire and be counterproductive, there is the official email channel for feature requests, and an informal channel via the curated FR topics for each device.

This engaged me as it was pitched as a bug which I like to explore so that there’s less false or repeated reports heading to a busy support team - by having an open chat it’s more useful.

WRT the issue and ideas for improvements, I noticed that my suggestion to explore avoiding oscillator reset wasn’t developed or picked up by anybody, especially in the context of having no amp reset - so I made a test DVCO sound that anyone can load into 9>11 and then play with the Modifiers set to Retrig (13 & 14 are about right)

Then sneak in and out of the second amp page to explore the effect of AmpENvReset or the benefit of dialling back the currently infinite SYN Decay

Also note how the currently slow envelope affects things (or otherwise)

Don’t mess with the LFO or DVCO mode as they automatically swap between a sin with reset (the clicky phase) and without phase reset (no clicks) - so all this is counter to your opening strategy (and it mainly shows benefits when using the DVCO as a sustaining mono synth)

But notice how clicky it is in all but the settings I put forward earlier on - so, be careful what you wish for - I find that in this situation that dialling OUT the OSC Decay will actually be clicky

Essentially, there are a few tools to use and some may be better in certain circumstances

That’s not to say that your suggestion which still appears logical won’t be adopted if you present it clearly, but consider it part of a balancing act with other things where the impact could be on unforeseen use cases (perhaps like in the one attached below where the sound will play through with & without clicks whilst you retrigger the track) … explore those parameters to see if there’s another way forward for your scenario, or if there’s some issues with your suggestion

For anyone invested in this topic, a simple DVCO patch (drop using latest Transfer) to explore the clicking and what can exacerbate it - load this in a new pattern in T11 and hold 13/14 … vary params discussed above

KLKSND.stsnd (519 Bytes)

Elektron tends to balance out hand-holding in some implementation (but not all), it does leave you with a greater series of options and opportunities for “inoptimal” results over simpler design patterns.

This leads to more happy accidents but also requires more intentionality in understanding (and accepting) the consequences of sound design in programming.

The ethos does require awareness of some confusing and confounding bits that get polished out in other designs, certainly.

I’d nudge to roll with the tradeoffs and quirks in most every case :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Yup. I can confirm this is not related only to analog synths. Ive experienced it with digital synth machines also.

nice first post friend

1 Like

The Rytm does something similar with its Retrigs or any fast play with long decays too, which frustrated me when I got it first. I later chose to ignore it, more or less.

If I did not dream it, there was a recent OS update that introduced an option to fix this inconsistent clicky business. Yet I don’t remember exactly, and the Rytm is now
gone for a Syntakt.

Also, ala avantronica’s post, have you tried examining the waveform from a recording yet?

Probably easier to visualize the problem over trying to reverse engineer from only the audio.

It’s OK. I figured out the issue in the end. It turned out to be nothing to do with OSC reset (although it lead to a good conversation)

The OSC decay stays running even when the amp envelope has finished and if you start the next amp envelope before the OSC decay stops, you get sound leaking into rhe new envelope causing a click. The click inconsistent as rhe OSC could be anywhere in its phase when the OSC decay is suddenly closed.

3 Likes

Out-with the overlapping notes issue, I’m actually bending to your way of thinking that it is untidy (aka buggy) that the amp envelope which is theoretically starting from zero is in fact ahead of the osc reset - it’s something that may be tweakable behind the scenes, who knows, i.e. the osc being reset first, then followed by the amp triggering

this, of course, may not be ideal for a number of reasons and may manifest in other quirks, but I’m sure now that you’ve raised it they will review what is happening as it’s also desirable to allow an OSC’s SYN Decay to sustain infinitely, so killing that decay to get around this isn’t always a good workaround

2 Likes

Avantronica, as far as i know, the correct way to implement changing the freq of a digital oscillator is to adjust the phase of the wave, not to reset the phase back to zero. For example, if you trigger a note at 440 hz, and then trigger an octave higher at 880hz, you would add double the phase difference per sample. You would not reset the oscillator to phase=0 and generate the next sample at the new higher frequency.

Yeah this totally messed with my mind on the Rytm as well.

It feels like a super common thing with long release on monophonic sounds, having notes flow into the next note, where the envelope is restarted

1 Like

Any thoughts on my comment here? Just curious f i have the correct understanding.

Having it for few days, I have to say Syntakt is wonderful sound machine, much better than I was expecting! The only thing that was bothering me was these clicks, or rather sound artifacts. I was searching for the solution and I thought I am going crazy because no matter what I did with settings it was somehow still there.
So for the record - if anyone is experiencing something like this - it may be something else than sound engine - in my case it is caused by direct USB audio (into Windows). Today I tried Overbridge for the 1st time and clicks/artifacts are gone (via same cable and usb port).

1 Like

recently I started using the dvco of ST, the click really make me want to quit!
It is very un common to have a dec in the osc,
If any reason elektron to doing this is because: this is the legacy of MD, the machine of MD is a very special synth voice, so the hold and dec parameters in the machine make sense! The thing after it—by elektron’s own word —is “track effects”, there’s no more amp or env thing out there anymore.
but current box, here is ST, use syn page as a osc more than complete synth voice, after it was filter amp env, it is stupid to still leave a dec or any env thing in a osc!