Incoming MIDI message automatically routed to same MIDI output

Scenes behave the same.

This happens on other threads too. I feel like I understand very well a concept and then when it is discussed for clarity thatā€™s when it becomes confusingā€¦

First Rule about OT behaviors: You donā€™t talk about OT behaviorsā€¦ :joy:

1 Like

No thatā€™s what I started with. Autochannel doesnā€™t work that wayā€¦ I thought it would, but no.

Remember autochannel controls the active trackā€¦
With an autochannel set and an audio track selected, does it recieve crossfader CC 48 then? My OTs napping in storage again or Iā€™d testā€¦

If you want to control it while on the midi side you can not use the autochannel you have to use a set audio channel.

(maybe the exception is with CCdc unchecked it will still work as there is no CC48 on the midi mode CC mapping (which applies when CCdc is unchecked) so it sends it to audio side :thinking: )

Yes thatā€™s what I reported. Autochannel does only work when in audiomode. Sending on a defined channel except the autochannel works in both modes. I think thatā€™s a confusing architecture.

The behavior makes perfect sense to meā€¦

Autochannel controls the active track, if an audio track is not selected it wonā€™t control an audio cc such as crossfader. If a midi channel is selected and CCdc is checked, it will remap CC48 sent on autochannel to the channel of the selected midi track and send it out its MIDI out as expected to control CC48 on an external midi deviceā€¦

By sending it to a dedicated audio channel it does just that, controls a CC on an audio channel/trackā€¦

The part I havenā€™t tested is with CCdc unchecked and a midi channel selected if it will pass CC48 sent on the autochannel to the audio side as there is no CC48 in the MIDI mode ctrl change mappingsā€¦

Itā€™s really the first time in my career that I hear that thereā€™s a difference between "audio CCā€™s " and ā€œmidi CCā€™sā€. As if the Octatrack would physically be two distinct machines in the same box with a midi splitter to control it allā€¦ I mean, in a normal world you have a control you can map a CC to, and itā€™ll work regardless if youā€™re having a midi or an audio channel active. Itā€™s like the ā€œcontrol everything with notesā€ thing. I really never got the pointā€¦ Looks like a leftover from the early midi-controlled lighting rigs in the 80ā€™s where the idea was that you just hook up a midi cable from the keyboard players synth and you have an instant lightshow in sync with the music ā€¦ took decades to get rid of that! Anywayā€¦ I was used to the Digitone where autochannel will play notes regardless of the mode youā€™re in, if your active channel is a midi one itā€™ll play midi and if itā€™s an audio one itā€™ll play synth sounds. So when all of a sudden thereā€™s a distinction, thatā€™s confusing :wink:

1 Like

I wish OT could send notes / CCs with its audio tracks sequencer, for lights / video control.

There are a couple of softwares that do audio-to-midi conversion, not really good enough for writing scores automatically but might be something for visual performance. I know some guys that do video mapping (you know, the sort of spectacular video projections on buildings), they know quite a bunch about this. Iā€™ll ask them.