Impulse Command from Analogue Solutions

I had it for a while. Great sounding synth. The sequencer midi implementation is strange.
It really depends on what you are looking for. The IC is a great source of analog growling sounds by accident. If you don´t need precise control over your sound design, i can highly recommend it. The sound is really really good. I sold it to fund other gear (Moog Matriarch).

3 Likes

I’ve been interested in this lately! I love machines with interesting built in sequencers. Wondering if anyone still has one and has anything fun to say about it!

2 Likes

Does anyone know what the difference is between the first gen version of this synth and second?

I want to buy one used and the seller said his is first gen. I wasn’t aware there was a second gen! Can anyone shed light on this?

I agree. I haven’t really messed about with mine recently but when I do next I mainly plan to sample it. It just sounds incredible!

On a weird side note, I got a really good deal on one over a year ago and the seller complained that it cost him more to ship than he quoted and I threw him a few dollars via PP with only “impulse” in the notes section, anyways PP ended up flagging the transaction and freezing my account for a while as they were suspicious that it was a payment for prostitutes or drugs or something…

1 Like

I’ve came close to getting one of these in the past. I wasn’t aware there were more than one generation, im curious of the differences as well. Anything Analogue Solutions is going to sound great considering all of their circuitry is discrete if I remember correctly.

1 Like

This term gets thrown around constantly, but I do think this is a misunderstood classic, there’s nothing else that does what this does. One of the most unique sequencers that generates completely new and different sounds every single turn of a knob.

It’s not conventional in the slightest, but I think it’s a truly singular piece of gear fwiw.

4 Likes

Wish I could see one in action in the Seattle region :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Here’s a demo video with different patches for Ambient, EBM and Techno. Maybe you find it useful.

2 Likes

Still one of the most underrated and amazing machines. So mysterious and almost never boring.

3 Likes

I think it might be the greatest jamming knobby tweaker synth of all time. I’m not kidding.

gah, wish I could trade synths for a bit and get to at least try all of these. I got enough synths for now though!

For some reason Analog Solutions were always in my periphery until I stumbled upon this thread several days ago. Since then I’ve been watching every demo I can find and have been absolutely enthralled by the sounds. I finally ordered an Impulse Command this evening but I have a feeling more AS devices will be in my future.

3 Likes

They still using all thru hole right? Pretty amazing in this day and age they haven’t succumbed to cheaper and smt to keep up with Behr…etc, even dreadbox has…
One off the last decent size holdouts… soma kinda does but it’s quickly changing… I bet that new log thing is all smt in it.

Still finding my way around this thing, but wow it sounds incredible. Those VCOs and filters are just brimming with character.
I do have a question though. Is it normal for VCO 1 noise to be so quiet? On the default patch in the manual, with VCO 1 set to noise and filter wide open, it is still pretty low in volume. Boosting the resonance even a little will silence the noise almost completely.

Hello hello

I’ve had the Impulse Command for about two years, it’s a cool machine. Does anybody know of a sequencer that does the same thing as the midi-looper-sequencer in the Impulse Command? I really love how I can just put 16 midi notes in, and then change the order and amount of notes played on the fly with the reorder knob, and I would love to be able to do it with other mono synths! Any suggestions?

• swot
1 Like