Impulse Command from Analogue Solutions

Analogue Solution – Impulse Command

I posted about this before on the Superbooth 19 thread, and now with another killer youtube vid i decided it rates it’s own thread. (this is the older vid)

The new video:

This is a full stereo analog synth with 16 step sequencer and it’s ReOrder! function. The stereo effects in this new video are dramatic – almost too dramatic to my ears, but illustrates the sort of stereo effects that are possible.

And the analog sounds are dramatic too. Analogue Solutions makes synths with a lot of rich sound and this definitely is part of that.

It is available for sale right now, at least in the UK.

3 Likes

…holy fukk…this is a beast…any price tag already?

i’ll definitly have a closer look on this one at sooperbooth…

1 Like

Sweetwater has it as $1199 right now

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ImpulseComm--analogue-solutions-impulse-command-synth-module

1 Like

I read a little more about the ReOrder! function in the manual because i was curious.

ReOrder! applies to both the analogue sequencer as well as the MIDI Loop sequencer (cool by the way that there are two, for separate uses and how they can connect). It says this about using the ReOrder! knob in the manual:

The resulting pattern you end up with also depends on which step the sequencer was on when you turn the Reorder! control.

The new patterns are not random. They are calculated new patterns that repeat - they will sound musical - often more musical than what you program in!

So it’s not only where you turn the knob to but when you turn it that determines the results. I guess it won’t be random once you learn more predictably what the results will be and you can play it.

And it also says this (with some pride):

You will find melodies seemingly popping out of no where.

Forwards, backwards and all sorts of great and strange variations.

£1018 ? it’s good , but not that good.

maybe something like £500-600

You have to remember there’s a lot of time spent designing these, Analogue Solutions is a one man operation that assembles everything by hand not by machine and does not buy in bulk quantities to reduce costs. On top of this retailers are looking at least a 20% mark up and 20% of the cost is vat so it’s not an unreasonable price when you look at it like that.

The Beringher factor is clouding people’s judgement and creating unrealistic price expectations :slight_smile:

8 Likes

yeah that came across a bit harsh, I’ll rephrase it a bit…

When I first watched the videos of it I didn’t know the price so pictured it as a sort of miniature replacement for the Leipzig rack, or as a cut down Telemark/Fusebox. I placed it along with the other smaller desktop synths like the Mother32, Minilogue etc. I was going to buy it on release without hesitation.
I know Analogue Solutions gear is well made as I own an Oberkorn mk3 sequencer and that thing will probably out last me as it’s built like a tank, but the new synth is placed in a market where similar spec’d/sized equipment, even by the same brand, look a lot more appealing.
£1000 for this or £800 for a Telemark or £1200 for a Fusebox… I’d pick the Telemark or Fusebox straight away.

1 Like

It sounds like the sounds like the oberkorn system where it depends which binary setting has a voltage. It comes into its own when you attach it to a something like a doepfer clock divider/clock sequencer so each step can act like a binary adder and send different voltages.

quick simple video I threw up to demo it the basics

1 Like

Two more short videos from Analogue Solutions:

You can skip the first 15-20 seconds of stock startup. I like the second video better.

Video from DivKid.

“A Tweakers machine.” This thing is both very dimensional (in stereo) and quite musical. This is up on my list for what has come out from Superbooth.

2 Likes

Sonic state just did review of this. I had earbuds in when I listened and the separately addressable stereo filter is… kinda crazy. You need some ear goggles or a crazy surround setup to appreciate (or maybe just a nice set of monitors and killer sound treatment). Today’s lesson: always listen to YouTube videos with headphones. Which you probably already knew. Anyway, sweet sounding piece of kit…

3 Likes
1 Like

Does anybody have the Impulse Command? How are you liking it?

It’s great! I really think it’s one of the most interesting synths out there right now, something that’s a properly different spin on the traditional analogue synth.

Heres some basic patching with it:

6 Likes

yeah i bought it in the mean time and am absolutely happy with it. the sequences it spits out are great and in combination with patch and reorder knobs you spend hours with it!

1 Like

Just ordered one too.

1 Like

This is the best Overview on the net so far.
The one from Molton is the longest and also interesting.

2 Likes

Just did a demo/overview of the filter ‘Aggro’ parameter:

4 Likes

I love the Aggro knob. Depending on the “Patch” knob setting, the results are always surprising. :gift_heart:

1 Like

Any users of the impulse command? How are you finding it a couple of years later?

1 Like