Improved build quality on the Model:Samples?

Had an M:C a couple of months ago. Sold it. Got a new M:S yesterday. Nothing wrong with the build - feels exactly the same as the M:C. The pads are great for my needs as long as the VDep menu parameter is dropped to 30-40ish. Even hitting the corner of them produces the desired velocity. I love ‘double-pedalling’ the kick drum with two fingers haha.

3 Likes

Sure excessive use is a factor but I don’t think I’ve been using mine excessively. I’m only complaining because I want to get more than 3 years use out of it! :slight_smile:

I think in all honesty, the best way to stop worrying about these kind of issues is just to learn a bit of soldering or sautering as Americans bizarrely call it. :slight_smile:

I’m no expert or even intermediate, but a lot of common issues are pretty easy to fix and very cheap. Also Elektron will send you parts and instructions for what seem to be very low prices.

I learned that 95% of the time, when one earphone stops working, it’s because the cable solder point has broken off, takes about 40 seconds to fix…before that I’d just buy a new pair.

Seems to be a hugely worthwhile skill to have if you’re interested in music, I’ve been watching that Techmoan guy on youtube recently and he’s picking up all this werid af esoteric music playback stuff, broken, for pennies and the fixes are so often so simple…

6 Likes

The problem with the M:S is (was?) not really a soldering issue but the buttons coming out of the sockets after some usage. And the real issue came from the fact that all the buttons are part of the same big rubber part, which meant that when a button popped out it was because it was cut from that big part and impossible to merge it back with the rest again.
I had this problem with my FUNC button, brought it back to the store where I bought it, and was notified that they would replace the unit, which to me indicates that their changed the build. And I have not had a problem since.

2 Likes

mine’s always been fine, except now the lighter print is fading off. pretty annoyed by this, especially since i hardly ever have time for music so it’s not from overuse. sucks!

No, I think it was the opposite—the buttons weren’t originally one big sheet. The replacement that Elektron sends is a whole sheet.

That said, my M:S seems to be one of the original batch with individual buttons and has been fine.

I have a M:S from the first batch, and have had a M:C for months now. They both feel the same. Never had a problem with either. Pretty solid builds if you ask me.

3 Likes

had one M:S from the first batch, nothing wrong with it but buttons felt ‘loose’.

sold it. missed it.

got one recently, I can tell that buttons feel more firm.

build quality feels better.

1 Like

I’m no solderer, I would be no good with delicate stuff. I’m not dismissing the idea, but I would probably have to get a friend to do it :slight_smile:

I think the problem with the M:S buttons is because they’re so wobbly, they’re not always centered when they are pressed, especially when you get carried away in the moment and aren’t fully paying attention.

1 Like

Hmm, well that’s the reason support gave me for why I had to send it back when I told them and I bought it in march 2019 so i’m pretty sure it was from an early batch

Ah yes, you’re right:

Sorry, somehow I thought you implied that Elektron were replacing the button sheets with individual buttons!

1 Like

I have a fairly new MS and it has had zero build issues so far.

1 Like

American here. I’ve always seen it as soldering.

2 Likes

he actually meant to say it’s solid as FUNC.

I’ll show myself out…

4 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Oh i didn’t see they addressed it here, thanks for the link!
Glad it’s not an issue anymore, it was really the only hardware gripe I had with the machine

1 Like

i believe he’s poking fun at the pronunciation which i got a laugh out of

1 Like

yeah, I’m honestly amazed that the encoders feel more solid than the ones on their higher end gear… I guess without the push function it allows them to be a bit more sturdy.

1 Like

I found that too. And I think you’re right about the push function on the other boxes. It means they’re a little bit further away from the box, whereas M:S/M:C encoders are almost flush with the surface. And the two that are push encoders don’t seem to travel as far compared to Digis, OT, etc

I just got a new samples 2 weeks ago and a new cycles 2 days ago and both feel solid and sturdy on the buttons and knobs.