Immediate gear selling regret

Ok sent dude

1 Like

Ah man, this is why Iā€™m afraid to sell any of my vintage synths. You know itā€™s something thatā€™s gonna haunt you.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve just sold my Push2 and even if Iā€™ve not used it for years I connected it to take pictures and wow they really made this thing into something elseā€¦ Well atleast itā€™s less boxes to store and more money recouped towards the MD UW+ thatā€™s stuck somewhere in shipping :yum:

1 Like

Youā€™re breaking my heart man. Henā€™s teeth scattered in the wind.

1 Like

It will haunt you. Forever. Especially given that they are going to be harder to both find and afford should you decide to replace them. And you will.

1 Like

It appears most people only regret things that are now hard to come by. If they were still available in large numbers i doubt youā€™d have any feelings like this. You always lust after things that are elusive to you. My regret is the Yamaha CS80 i owned way back in the 80s. When my group folded i sold everything to just get an office job thinking my music days were over. Huge mistake.

6 Likes

Prophet 6. donā€™t regret it, cos iā€™d lost my job and the kids needed a holiday. but it was the nicest synth i ever owned and i canā€™t see me ever affording a new one

5 Likes

Iā€™ve had at least three Digitones over the past few years, always ended up selling them, now I find myself wanting one again. When will I ever learnā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™ve sold a lot of stuff and donā€™t regret any of it at all.

Iā€™ve come close to selling stuff, and then I plug it in and think, no way am I selling this!

I actually put up an Erica synths Dual Drive module for sale, and then realised I REALLY like it. Took it down and now I use it on everything pretty much.

4 Likes

Oh my god this is heartbreaker. One of my dream synths.

Still cool to say you owned and performed with such an icon

1 Like

This is why Iā€™ll never sell my Prophet~6 or the OB-6. The initial cost was stupid, too many sacrifices, and the price is creeping up.
In 10 to 20 years theyā€™ll be part of the OBXa/Prophet5/Jupiter8/CS-80 crowd. Iā€™ll sell one if I have grandkids who are smart enough to get into university.

2 Likes

How can an instrument look so ā€œupside down?ā€ Play it left handed and the fret board is a Picasso drawing of a head.

2 Likes

Definitely one of the most 1970ā€™s guitars I have ever seen. I look at it and I hear ā€œSweet Leafā€ in my head.

1 Like

Yeah I end up doing this also but itā€™s been so long since Iā€™ve used some of it that even though I really like the sound I sort of feel like I should sell itā€¦ like I feel like the roland system 1m is super underrated, super easy to make good sounds yet I almost never use it. I was also thinking of selling a akai s20 which I think I got for 60$ spent another 40$ getting a USB floppy spoof working on it, still the load times are pretty brutal (much better than the floppy speed though), shocked to see people are trying to sell them 300-400$ nowā€¦ makes me second guess selling it thinking I might not be able to grab one again. I have a few other character samplers that are just way faster to work with. So yeah itā€™s weird Iā€™ve always gone by the if you like it donā€™t sell itā€¦ but if I never use it whatā€™s the point even if I like it. I Dunnoā€¦ itā€™s hard I seem to air of the side of caution, never regretted selling except maybe a prewar ginson banjo I soldā€¦ although I have better 4 string instruments and I got stuff I really like from the sale. Still it was a piece of history.

1 Like

I have 2 pieces of gear Iā€™m not using - a Microbrute and a Pulse 2.

The only reason they arenā€™t out is because I absolutely donā€™t have the space to have everything out at once.

But I donā€™t sell them because I know I will definitely use them one day. Even if itā€™s just a bit of sound design and then sampling it.

Both of them wonā€™t fetch much money, so I donā€™t see the point.

The only other thing that annoys me is I bought the latest Maschine and never used it due to NIā€™s completely absent DAW integration. But I donā€™t sell it as I use it for sample browsing / auditioning, and I like the sample library. For now it stays, but does irritate.

Actually I have stopped using my DT & DN as I basically do everything in Eurorack. But theyā€™re so small and cute I canā€™t bare to let them go! I will definitely use them in future though when I work with my ā€˜bigger setupā€™, as opposed to just my modular stuff.

I think thereā€™s a few menu things, but Iā€™m not 100% on the big differences. I honestly use it for the eq boosts, saturation, and the filters on the master as a final processor for live PA stuff. I donā€™t use any of enveloping features, overbridge etc. The screen is better thatā€™s for sure.

1 Like

Looks like might be an Australian guitar ? Looks like Australia :joy:

1 Like

Machinedrum, my American tele, Shallow Water, Korg MS-10. As someone said earlier in the thread I donā€™t ā€œregretā€ selling any of this because I needed the money for food or rent at the time, but I do wish I was never put in that situation. Maybe Iā€™ll get it all back one day.

I rarely have any regrets.

At one point I sold all my vinyls because I thought cd was the best format, a few years later I did the opposite and sold all my cds because vinyl was all the rage. Nowadays I have countless vinyls and cds again. Nothing is permanent, everything can be bought back if you really want it and are willing to make some sacrifices elsewhere. Iā€™ve sold my collection of original Star Wars -action figures and my huge collection of vintage video games (three times). I donā€™t really miss any of them. Selling them was a good decision at that point in my life.

The only gear I regret selling is the OP-1 (Sold once and traded it back but ended up selling it again), which I miss mainly for itā€™s beautiful design, wow factor and portability. Maybe the OTO Biscuit too (Had it twice, didnā€™t stick on either occasion). Sometimes I think that maybe an Octatrack MK2 would be great (sold my MK1 a year ago) but then again not really. All of those are things I can get back second hand if I really want to. It wonā€™t be easy or cheap but nothing is.

1 Like

Same here. Iā€™d been struggling to fit the Prophet 6 into my music (which was entirely down to the way my studio was setup and not the synth) and got my head turned by a shiny new Roland System-8. I regretted selling the Prophet almost immediately, especially when it turned out I hated the System-8 within hours of getting it.

I refuse to sell anything specifically to get another instrument now. Iā€™d rather wait and save a bit, own both, and then decide which to sell.

2 Likes