I'm guessing it is possible to [control Elektron gear from Ableton Live]

Control which patterns play on the Digitakt, A4 and Machinedrum from an Ableton set sending out midi messages from specific clips?
Would start fiddling with this idea but currently out with my girlfriend pretending to not be thinking about music!
So . . . . If I create multiple patterns on my devices and arrange scenes in Ableton that trigger whichever pattern I want in these devices I can perform this way?

Cheers for any pointers,
Adam

Pattern switching on Elektron instruments is done by program change. Clips in Ableton Live can send program change. Answer = yes.

Mileage and sync may vary.

By the way - include your partner in your interests. That might lead to some creative insight.

6 Likes

Cheers Carl.
G/F is regular included.
Music room Friday has become a regular thing:
Some small snacks; a big glass of wine each; chilled lighting; and my girlfriend controlling one of the devices.
Currently Heat is her favourite although she nearly destroyed the room with the filter and some crazy resonance!

As for the Ableton setup, I’ll have a crack at it this evening.

Cheers

4 Likes

:heart: :heart: :heart:

This sounds so romantic to me- I am jealous of your love tbh.

Yeah, I’m lucky. My girlfriend doesn’t ask too many questions about the ever increasing array of boxes that make noise that appear in the music room. An we only have a two bedroom cottage and one of those rooms is the previously mentioned music room.
I posted a picture from our lounge yesterday with the Digitakt, glass of wine, headphones and a fire lit. I didn’t include my girlfriend in that picture as she is a little more shy than the Digitakt, but she was there on the sofa reading and drinking wine while I was pressing buttons, tapping my foot and nodding my head; she’s very patient!

Anyway . . . now in said music room and have got Ableton triggering A4 and Digitakt. So far it’s pretty good. However, I want the MD to be changing patterns too but my link to it is from the MIDI out of the A4 - A4 connected to Ableton via USB for MIDI.
MIDI clock sent from live and then out of A$ to MD. Currently struggling to get MD to program change; I’m of course already sending PC messages to the A$ but I want them to be read by the A4 and then passed onto the MD to change patterns too. It isn’t happening at the moment. Ideas?

You need to use midi through on the A4 to MD. And organize your midi channels so that the messages going to the A4 (and MD) gets sorted properly.

1 Like

Cheers Carl, I’ll give it a good going over! See if I can’t get them to play happy.

On the Digitakt watch out so you’re not sending the midi program change message to late. Midi latency and jitter might make the message arrive juuuust to late and the pattern will loop one more time before actually switching.

Best way is to send the program change like 1/16 note early instead of exactly where you want the pattern to switch on your time line.

1 Like

Thanks.
I’ve noticed the slight delay in triggering but I think I’ve got the hang of it, most of the time anyway!

Currently struggling to get the Machinedrum to play nicely. Have passed the midi through as Carl mentioned but so no joy.

I’m double, triple checking midi channels and all looks good. I imagine there’s a mistake somewhere that I’m not seeing.

Fresh eyes tonight when I get in from work I reckon.

:sunglasses:

Okay, still not getting the MD to change pattern.

I’m not sure if I need to directly send MIDI program change information to it from Ableton as currently I am sending the Program Change to the A4 which is set to send PC out and has a midi cable from the Thru to the IN on the MD. The send channel from the A4 and receive channel on the. MD are the same. MD is set to receive Program Change.

Will the program change that I send to the A4 automatically continue into the Thru and therefore to the MD or do I need to set up a direct link to the MD from Ableton and send the Program Changes directly to it?

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Please ignore my Arghhhh moment.
I don’t really want to admit the reason this wasn’t working as it may paint me as a moronic fool who doesn’t check that the midi cable he thinks is connecting his devices is, in fact, not connecting he devices!

Sorry for wasted time!

5 Likes

Works!

1 Like

Ha ha, I’m sure something like that has happened to us all on here at some point.

1 Like

Music room Friday. :grinning:

3 Likes

I see you’re playing with the love of MY life(Machinedrum) in addition to yours. You’re collecting all the love, but I’m not jelly :slight_smile:

EDIT: AND the A4- whole lotta love going on in that room tonight!

How do it this ?

You use a midi track instead of letting the Digitakt send pc messages automatically.

1 Like