I'm genuinely thinking about buying a laptop and Ableton. Talk me out of it

throw a limiter on the master so you won’t blow the speakers by mistake… especially if you put couple of Amp instances after the Wavetable :wink:

1 Like

pretty sure with a wi-fi teensy and one of those little oled screens this is definuitely a go-er.

1 Like

Maybe look into something like this …

/

1 Like

A falling Macbook Air has no handle.

1 Like

One thing I was wondering, and maybe you mentioned it somewhere, but do you use an external screen?

M1 MacBook Air, 8GB RAM.

2 Likes

My wife’s got two that she uses for work on her desk, which is right next to my desk.

Well I’m not gonna try to pretend to know if she’s the sharing kind, but an external screen makes it all so much better. You could even have a mixer view on the laptop screen and the arrangement or session view on the external. Or the other way around

Accidentally put this in the wrong thread earlier:

Welcome to the dark side.

I’ll go ahead and recommend my favorite M4L sequencer:

https://maxforlive.com/library/device/231/advanced-step-sequencer

Otherwise, yea two screens is nice. Or a real big one. I love my 32” LG 4K display in my studio. But for the MB Air, with all its portability and battery power, keeping it simple and hitting that tab key to switch views is what makes it such an ideal portable groovebox

4 Likes

Sure, but if you’re at the desk anyways, you don’t need the portability. And ixnay on the xmax4livesay. I think he might pop

1 Like

It’s a long thread, and maybe it’s already been said, but based on your comment about buying and selling hardware i’d recommend staying away from buying plugins. It’s a truly bottomless pit of distraction and something like Ableton has everything you need.

2 Likes

Don’t worry, I won’t be buying much of that. Ableton and MAX seem to have all my needs covered.

4 Likes

But everyone loves spending your money!

4 Likes

Nice one! It kinda reminds me of the new Matriceal mode on the OXI One. Which happens to be my favorite peripheral for Ableton. My backpack setup is the MacBook and the OXI. And the midi fighter twister because…knobs.

Pick up some of the excellent free plugins available

Valhalla have few excellent ones

7 Likes

My one and only reverb. It’s perfect. Dark Matter preset twisted to my own needs is :ok_hand:

1 Like

Just downloaded that free Valhalla thingy.

Absolute nonsense.

Now I get where that massive smeary reverb sound thats been all over everything comes from.

It is fun though, me and my boy have just been playing Sitar patches on Operator through it and a bunch of amp sims.

9 Likes

Fin’s LoFi Beats

3 Likes

I have to admit I’m quite enjoying this.

14 Likes

Macs would be a lot less annoying if they were thoroughly shitty. Instead, they are 95% awesome, but that last 5% is like watching a gnat take off from a dog turd outside the pub and then land in your pint.

8 Likes