I'm genuinely thinking about buying a laptop and Ableton. Talk me out of it

:exploding_head:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

I wouldn’t consider it for gaming for a second. The amount of games that are supported is still comparatively very low. And a laptop for gaming is never a great idea, so it would have to be a desktop computer. And then you want to go PC. No reasonable reason to buy a Mac Pro, or even a Studio, unless you hate having money.

1 Like

which hobby you like is kinda your choice to make, but if it’s gaming then no way mac is going to be a good choice here, there’s no competition and windows take the cake by a mile. some games might run ok but it’s just not worth it. for gaming only windows or if you feel adventurous you might consider the Steam Deck, it’s handheld so it’s portable and it has lots of steam games support, also has external peripherals support so you can connect monitor/keyboard/mouse etc. but with limitations on resolution.
also it’s linux based so I believe you can use bitwig on it, if that’s something appealing to you.
otherwise - windows all the way.

2 Likes

Yup, lifesaver for couch Ableton

I spotted my misses once using her MacBook Air as an ‘itray’ to eat her dinner. :grinning:

1 Like

I hope it was an Intel one. They have a built in plate warmer.

6 Likes

You can do a lot with dotfiles on macOS too.

Another thing I had to turn off right away was force click. I couldn’t drag a plugin into Bitwig with that shite turned on. Now it’s working just fine.

1 Like

yeah, but if Mac users don’t think Macs are hugely superior, what did they spend all that money on?

THAT WAS TONGUE IN CHEEK GUYS.

(seriously though, I think the thing is Windows means you can install any old crap from anywhere, and plug in anything and that means there’s a decent chance you’ll somehow ruin your install or at least make it unstable. You probably do need to be more careful than you do using a Mac, so I think it’s partly down to mindset - if you are prepared to pay the extra and be straight jacketed into Apple land for the convienience, then that’s cool… or if you are the sort of person that wants the cheapest option and are happy to pay the “occasional couple of hours swearing and uninstalling things and cleaning registry files” … or just be really careful what you install… then PC is FINE.)

:wink:

3 Likes

I like to build a desktop computer for my music requirements so that it only contains the exact components I want and only has the exact software I want installed.

Not possible going the Mac route.

Recent example. I got a new desk and my computer would no longer fit underneath it. So I just bought a new housing and transferred all the internal components over. Would that be possibe on a Mac?

1 Like

sort of what I meant… if you want to be able to hack your computer (in whatever way), you’re probably a PC person.

Obviously not. But Mac mini will fit anywhere :slight_smile:

I’m not sure about this, pretty sure if Apple don’t like it’s location they come and reclaim it.

:wink:

2 Likes

I enjoy seeing one person tell another person that their opinion and choice of computing systems is wrong because their own opinions and choices are different.

2 Likes

I disagree.

I agree with your disagreement.

Let’s argue

2 Likes

Already did now we’re besties.

I sometimes have to deal with .doc files, and to avoid Office (I liked Word 5.1, but it’s been a long downhill slide since then) I usually fire up Pages, which mostly works fine for minor editing and filling in blanks. Yesterday my TAs sent me a .xlsx spreadsheet that needed some work, and I fired up Numbers for the first time. Again, I wasn’t doing much (writing a few formulas and filling them) but it was pleasant and intuitive to use.

That’s the first thing I do when installing a fresh MacOS. That, and flipping off the natural scrolling behavior. I guess I’m just…supernatural.

3 Likes