I'm genuinely thinking about buying a laptop and Ableton. Talk me out of it

I’m still new to Drambo so definitely not the best source of info, but there is a record module so presumably it will record from iPad inputs like Mic/sound card line in. Whether it behaves like the OT recorder I’m not sure, I haven’t owned an OT for 2-3 years now. But based on everything I’ve seen I imagine it will.

iPads have a built in mic, but you can use USB sound cards as long as they are USB class compliant which most are. In that case the sound card works the same as on a desktop Computer & replace the inbuilt speaker/mic. I use a Steinberg UR22 Mk2 when I need to.

1 Like

Just happened across this: Amazon (US) has a deal right now, M1 MacBook Air base configuration, on sale right now $799 (normally $999): MacBook Air at Amazon

1 Like

Has anyone managed to max out M1 w real life daw usage yet?

1 Like

I am going the other way where I am considering keeping the Octa and DT or DN and selling the rest since I invested a month ago Tracker (polyend).

1 Like

Yes. Macs last for a lot longer. People get hung up on specs and get trapped into PCs because it’s cheaper for more ram or whatever. What are you making where you need tons of ram and more processing power than an m1 ? Especially coming from hardware?

M1 Airs are under $1k on sales all the time so it’s far less than a premium drum machine anyway.

3 Likes

Fin single handedly revived the Mac vs PC War…

well done, you might have just saved the world from the Ye, Musk,Trump, triad of terror!!! :joy:

8 Likes

this thread escalated quicker then song mode announcement for digis

5 Likes

My 8 year Mac is still going strong but I needed a new one and Costco had a deal.

True and in contrast, I had to use Windows PC to update firmware on my hardware as Mac OS X is not well supported by many modular companies.

OP, where are you based so we can find deals for you :slight_smile:

Yeah, using a cable on the headphone jack would be fine for me, but I don’t want to get into accessories like USB interfaces.

:relieved::relieved::relieved: don’t make me say it

Edit: holy shit 300 replies already i’m probably the third to quote this one. Apologies

1 Like

722euro

729pounds

650pounds

1 Like

I have to say there is something special about the MacBook air m1. It is the laptop that has the same or more power i had been using previously on an full sized iMac for years.

Packs it in a really well-finished thin aluminum enclosure. I mean it is a size of a magazine and doesn’t weigh much more either.

The keyboard and trackpad are excellent. Especially the trackpad is of a very large size and just feels right when you use it.

It comes with a very nice screen, although there is an upgrade if you would go up to MacBook pro range.

The speakers caught me by surprise. It’s hard to believe that out of such a thin laptop you get a very wide sound stage with a clear definition.

One of the best features has to be “no fan” used in the machine so it is absolutely silent.

When I first used bitwig on mine I was surprised that after 2 hours of use it dropped only 6 or 7% on battery. The laptop is lightning-fast, power efficient, and silent.

On MacBook pros the upgrade would be additional full-size USB ports, a card reader, a better mini LED screen, and a professional-grade AUDIO jack that could power even more power-hungry headphones.

But for so much more money you are still getting the same processor and ram in most cases…

2 Likes

UK

Not just students, any staff in an academic institution are eligible for edu discount. Or at least that was the case when i was working in a university 9/10 years ago. Got a hefty discount for my Mac then. Pretty sure thats still the case now

1 Like

Over the years I have always just bought windows laptops off eBay cheap with decentish processor and loads of ram and never had a problem but did consider a new Mac as wanted to splash out recently but got an Asus Zenbook duo pro or whatever it’s called with 2 touchscreens and after being unconvinced at first now it is setup how I want it I love it… really top quality and just great for me with Bitwig having that second screen… even sampling off YouTube which I do a lot having that on the second touch screen is brilliant. After having all sorts of hardware over the years I prefer just a laptop now… I keep trying to add a bit of kit but then just sell it after a couple of weeks as more hassle to integrate for me than it is worth… after my last attempt with overbridge and an AR and how easy I can do things just with Bitwig I am 100% ITB… hope it goes well.

Right, so I’ve cancelled the windows laptop and I’m now on eBay looking at macbooks.

Bunch of pricks.

33 Likes

You won’t regret it.

Yeah it’s anyone with an academic email address usually