I'm bummed out with the A4's polyphony

I dno IMO digital poly is pretty much fine. Diva by uhe is great.
I dont own a4 but to me it was always more of a 4 voice sound design box than a poly synth.

I’d consider minilogue more of a poly than a4 but maybe thats just me.

1 Like

My A4 is an A6 when I use the fx and cv tracks to sequence a slim phatty and modular. :wink:

2 Likes

The Roland SH-4d seems like a good choice for someone who wants an A4, but with more polyphony.

Since each of the A4’s voices includes two oscillators and two filters, you should be able to squeeze out a full octave if you go crazy with the plocks.

1 Like

Ok…
Really really stupid, you’re an idiot, doofus etc.

lusting after something you dont want is either

A) Stupid
B) a special kind of masochism
C) a bit of both.

8 Likes

Good combo. Almost the same size.

1 Like

Not that it matters, but my A4 is already an A5 when I plug CV to Input 1 to generate an additional kick track. Look!

Also, Digitone is 8 voices. You’ll be able to play those "juicy chords’.

Also worth mentioning that amongst the A4’s Poly capabilities are some paraphonic options that I haven’t seen on any other synth, and are amazing IMO.

Playing 4-note chords with the A4 set to ‘Use Track Sounds’ let’s each note be a completely independent sound… factor this with the option to Rotate or Reassign the voice (round robin), and it goes deep… it’s a beast.

I feel sorry for someone looking at the A4 as a simple 4-voice poly with limitations… it’s like buying a laptop to only play Pac-Man on it.

5 Likes

Looks like the 3rd Wave is coming to shops soon. Think I’ll hold off for that.

4 tracks with 6-note poly each. 24 voices of 3 oscillators.

That’s more like it.

2 Likes

Great synth… but it costs 2.5x A4

1 Like

And is able to handle all that polyphony because it uses wavetable generators. I.e. it’s digital. Not to scoff at digital synths, I love ’em, but I don’t understand how so many people are getting confused by Elektron’s most accurate and straight forward-ly named product. It is because we’re always abbreviating it “A4”?

Look, if you want digital, you can get more for less (or, in the case of the 3rd Wave, more for more than twice as much) elsewhere. If you want five note chords, there’s nothing to see here. Move along.

But if you’re looking for analog voices, and four of them, you’re in the right place.

3 Likes

I think you’ll find the 3rd Wave VA is on-par or better than the pure analog here.

3rd Wave is probably better value and has Prophet 5 filters. 24 analog filters.

This music uses only three voices.

3 Likes

Again, no slight on digital synths. I love my Peak. I love my Super 6. I’d put the sound of either up against any other synth out there.

But they’re not analog. If that’s a thing one’s pursuing for whatever reason, you won’t find it in them… or a 3rd Wave.

Likewise, not to slight Mr. Rossum, but if one is after analogy minimoog or 303 sounds, a ladder filter is going to get you a lot closer.

2 Likes

I have Peak and Super 6 as my two main polys yes they sound great :+1:

So if you already have two main polysynths for polysynthing with, what would you be using the A4 for?

4 Likes

Well basslines, arps and plinks since it that’s all it can handle polyphony wise. But it would be a no brainer if it could double as an analog poly but I accept it can’t.

Yeah, it’s much better to see it as four monos that can do a bit of poly.

But what a set of four monos it is though…

2 Likes

I love what my A4 MK2 can do. I agree, though, with the OP that the limit of four voices/tracks is kinda dumb and pretty limiting. I mean, the MK1 came out 11 years ago, right? That likely means the basic technology in the A4 is 12-14 years old. I find it hard to believe that Electron can’t find a way to increase polyphony to eight voices after this amount of time. Moore’s law may not entirely apply to synth tech, and I do not know much at all about the bits inside my boxes, but chip capabilities have abounded in many other areas.

How do I do the facepalm emoji???
It’s ok, found it… :man_facepalming:t2:

7 Likes