I'm bummed out with the A4's polyphony

4 notes? :triumph:

I don’t own one, haven’t even tried one, but for years I have lusted after one but the fact I wont be able to play a juicy chord always turns me away ultimately.

Tell me how stupid I am being please.

1 Like

I mean, it’s called the Analog Four.

43 Likes

I hadn’t noticed :sweat_smile:

(you are missing the point though I feel)

1 Like

buy one.
sell one.

1 Like

4x the polyphony of a Minibrute 2S, or Syntrx. :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

…ask anybody who’s into modular synth to show u, what he/she/they can do with 4 truu analog mono 2 osc synth voices “only”…

then recheck on the swedish concept of parameterlocking…

then come again…

15 Likes

For me the A4 was never about polyphony. It is better to think of it as groove box with 4 analog monosynths inside it. Polyphony is a bonus feature on the A4. It shines in other regards. Pre and post owning one, I never thought of it as a “juicy chord machine.”

15 Likes

The Analog Four is undoubtably a great synth, but I feel the OP. An Analog Eight or Analog Twelve would be pretty incredible.

5 Likes

Well, there’s this technique:

9 Likes

You can tune oscillators so that each of the “four” is >1frequency e.g 5th

3 Likes

4 notes is plenty. This is A4:

25 Likes

…yeah, if it only could be bigger, better, faster, stronger it would be more fad…

1 Like

Thing is, you wouldn’t buy a monosynth to play chords. The Analog Four is four monosynths. It has multiple oscillators per voice so big chords are absolutely possible, but if you want to put eight fingers and two thumbs down on keys and hear every note, you’d better look elsewhere.

12 Likes

Yes. I forgot you could do that as well : )

1 Like

But it’s not ‘just’ four monosynths. It would be had they not implemented voice polyphony. Sure, I think most if not a lot of people treat it as one or more monosynths, but the functionality is certainly there.

1 Like

…there’s different tune options to each single osc…???..whaaaaaaat…!!!..
mindblowing concept…whoever invented this…MUST be a geeeenious…

2 Likes

Since my piano playing skills are mediocre at best, I love that the A4 (I have the keys version) has only 4 voices! Gives me a good excuse that I’m not playing Chopin or Monk…

3 Likes

And nobody mentioned to OP you can setup poly mode and voice stealing algo’s so yep you can make beefy juicy things but it’ll possibly steal from elsewhere. Trick is to sacrifice a track except for percs so it’s not always triggering

4 Likes

Well, no it’s not. There are four analogue voices in A4. The polyphony mode allows to steal voices to play four notes at once, but it’s not possible to add more voices. It’s a hardware limitation.

1 Like

If you haven’t already, check out this thread:

Isn’t the Analog Four the most incredible and deep instrument from Elektron so far?

Plenty of examples here of how expansive this instrument is. Yes, you can tune the oscillators to chords as previously mentioned (and change the chord voicings with parameter locks per step if you want), and to my ears at least those chords can sound quite lovely, even if it isn’t the same as having 8 or 12 stacked oscillators like on a non-groovebox polysynth.

7 Likes