iLoud Micro vs. iLoud MTM - how much of an upgrade?

Yeaps! I’ll report back when I have them :nerd_face:
Yeah, micros after great for quiet ( and not-so-quiet) listening! Also super portable

3 Likes

I pretty much stand by my comment above iLoud Micro vs. iLoud MTM - how much of an upgrade? - #37 by tdmusic … both are great but the MTM are a very significant upgrade, especially in terms of bass reproduction. The room calibration seems to work great too. Very pleased with them.

But they are much less portable, so if you are looking for something to use on the go and you are happy to use headphones for anything bass related, I’m sure you’ll be happy with the Micros. Just don’t expect miracles bass wise!

3 Likes

Pretty good discounts on the Micros and the MTM right now. $150 off for a set of micros and $150 off individual MTM.

2 Likes

That’s funny, my friend arrived today from the US and brought the MTMs along with him :slight_smile:
So I’ll have them with me pretty soon! I’ll let a friend know about the Micros, he was interested in them.

EDIT: DAMN, MTM pair for $500! that’s a big discount… same with the Micros, 200 a pair seems like a no-brainer. Oh well, I still got a nice discount on them so I can’t complain :wink:

1 Like

Where?

I think everywhere. Sweetwater, Musicians Friend , even iLoud site lists that price.

3 Likes

Hope it’s OK to resurrect this thread as I’m looking for some similar advice.

I’ve been using a pair of iLoud Micro monitors but they need replacing. The mic-stand threads have long since sheered off and are rattling around inside and last night they tried to electrocute me through an RCA cable so I’m binning them and upgrading.

They’ll be on a desk in a corner of a small room which is un-treated outside of rugs and curtains, and will be used only for jamming at low volumes. Something compact is preferred and I’m not going to add a subwoofer.

Sound-wise I’ve been more than happy with the iLoud Micros but the build quality of my set has put me off the MTMs.

Genelec 8010 look like a better made option at a similar size, but I’m worried they’ll be too wimpy. Every post online seems to suggest either adding a subwoofer or just getting the 8030s instead.

They 8030s did pique my interest, especially in the raw aluminium version, but to be honest I think they’re probably overkill for the room I’m in and they’re very expensive. I can pay the money if it’s really worth it, but dropping a bag on speakers just for the aesthetics probably isn’t prudent.

The internet consensus seems to just be to get Yamaha HS5s, but looking at frequency response, they don’t seem to compare favourably, even to the iLoud Micros. They seem good size-wise and the space grey limited editions look nice. Am I worrying too much about spec sheets and graphs?

The Adams and Neumanns look a bit too bulky, and I’m not keen on the teenager’s bedroom circa 1995 aesthetics of the KRKs.

Any other recommendations or gems I might have missed?

Shall I just get the Yamahas and shut up?

:heart:

Not comparable. The MTMs play a league higher, also regarding build quality.

2 Likes

I see that IK Multimedia has other models of iLoud : Precision 5, Precision 6 and Precision MTM.

And here’s a video for the Precision MTM.

Those new Precisions are pricey :grimacing:

Still some deals on the older model MTMs (new pair)

1 Like

I’ve used iLouds which were ok but thats about it… replaced them with OG KEF LSX’s which you can get pretty cheap now. They’re obv hifi orientated but for me its more about learning your own monitors, they are very detailed & IMO good to mix on for their size.

Dayum! Selling a pair of them for $100 CAD more than just one of them costs new up here.

1 Like

Can confirm that build quality on the MTMs is excellent.

2 Likes

So what’s your opinion on the iLoud’s a year later? :slight_smile:

I have Micros and MTMs. Not comparable whatsoever. Micros are fine for Bluetooth and listening to music casually but I wouldn’t mix anything with them. Ever. I use them for quick beat sketching with iPad, gaming, general music streaming in the bedroom.

MTMs are professional monitors. I replaced Yamaha HS8s after demoing for a month. They are magical. The including mic, software are phenominal and make a HUGE difference. I’ve since added another 4 for surround sound. Ridiculous.

Bought a pair bundled on sale for less than $500 originally. Ended up getting Mixbox and a bunch of amp sim software free plus a bunch of Jampoints to buy other stuff.

Wasn’t expecting much because I hadn’t heard much about IK prior to taking the leap with their speakers but I’m a huge fan. They know what they’re doing. Between Mixbox and MTMs—I’m thoroughly impressed with the company. Micro monitors are cool for the price but nothing super special imo.

4 Likes

Yeah having tried both, I agree. Micro were good for the size, but MTM are really good speakers regardless of size. I currently use them as monitors for my DJ set up as I’m not doing much production, and they’re great for this and really fun to listen to.

1 Like

Cheers all, sounds like IK have won a lot of fans with these.

I know they’ll sound great but I think I’d feel too much of a mug buying another pair.

It’s like that famous Tennessee saying - electrocute me once, shame on you…

I sold my NS-10’s and Dynaudio BM15’s along with their respective Hafler amps in favor of the Precision MTM’s. I do NOT regret making this move.

My studio space in my new house was too small for my Yamaha HS7 so I replaced them with iLoud MTM and getting much better mixes. She room correction really tightens up the low end and mids. I still get some flutter on the high end so will get some acoustic panels at some point but it’s not too bad. I’d say the room correction has got me around 80% of an ideal mixing environment just on it’s own.

1 Like