iLoud Micro vs. iLoud MTM - how much of an upgrade?

I have both, I like both but the MTM is a huge upgrade.

5 Likes

Did you get the micro? Or you meant 215 each?

1 Like

Sorry yes, I got the micro, £215 for the pair

1 Like

Would you say it’s worth ~3x the price of the Micro? Would be interested to try them, they look really cool. To be honest though I’m not sure how much I’ll end up using speakers in my new place, it’s quite a quiet block of flats and I don’t want to be the noisy neighbour!

Question for MTM owners: Do each of the two speakers need to be individually calibrated?

1 Like

I don’t own them but IIRC yes

1 Like

Sounds logical. Because the speakers are not connected to each other and also have no wireless technology on board, so they can not “talk to each other” :blush:

Yes - you position the measurement mic in the listening position and then calibrate the speakers one by one. Very simple procedure, basically a button press at the back of the speaker.

2 Likes

Yes.

I wouldn’t want to mix on the Micro’s. They’re great for tracking or for listening and referencing but lack the low end and power to trust them for mixing/mastering.

I mix/master mostly on my Dynaudio BM15’s & Yamaha NS10’s but I trust that I could get used to the MTM’s and feel comfortable in my mixing/mastering decisions if I didn’t have the other speakers.

I have 3 setups in my studio, one is a big Argosy with the BM15’s & NS10’s. The other is a mid sized desk with synths/sequencers & MTM’s and last is a shelving unit turned desk with more synths and sequencers with Micros.

3 Likes

That’s interesting. I listened to some music on the Micros today and thought they sounded great but without that low bass I’d mostly turn to headphones for producing electronic stuff. Maybe I should order some MTM’s and try them :thinking::joy:

There’s a massive improvement in low end on the MTM’s. They are like 4x larger with dual drivers.

1 Like

In the states a pair of MTM are $800. The KH80s with Mic are $1200.

I bought the KH80 and expected a totally different experience above and beyond my MTMs, but was underwhelmed. So in the end the MTMs went back on the desk and I am now trying to recoup my $$ on the KH80s. Granted this is a very subjective purchase and KH80s may sing in a better room (mine is oddly shaped - see attachment).

To the original question, I also have the Micros and they sound great, but I would try to mix anything in them that has a lot of bass content. They are amazingly detailed and as mentioned, great for tracking, but at the end of the day they are a tiny speaker. The MTMs can push some air. In a budget price range and the calibration is key for a poorly treated/designed room. So yes I think it’s worth the price increase, but maybe not for your stead use case.

The best advice would be to get a set of the Micros used and try them. You would likely only be out the price of shipping. Or buy from a Sweetwater or similar for the return period. I bought my pair of micros at a local guitar center for $150 and they were in mint condition. My love of the micros made the purchase of the MTMs a no brainer.

Finally I will say that once I get my money back for KH80s, I plan to try a pair of Genelec 8020Ds.

4 Likes

That’s great feedback on the KH80’s vs MTM’s.

I planned on getting Genelec 8010A’s & 8030C’s but IK had some ridiculous deal on the Micro’s and eventually the MTM’s as well. I don’t regret either purchase.

I just checked and I paid $188.99 & $580.99. Keep an eye on IK’s site for deals!

1 Like

I ended up getting a pair of open box MTM from Amazon. Couldn’t live not knowing the difference :joy:. I’ll compare them to the Micros and return one or the other - if they really are significantly better then I’d regret not finding out in the long run! Also they worked out just over £500 for a pair so a great deal and significantly less than eg KH80. Will let you know my feedback when they arrive!

2 Likes

I also have both and agree with @idylmind that the MTMs are a significant upgrade from the micros.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m actually not surprised looking at a picture of the two side by side - I thought they were much closer in size!

I’ve had a chance to compare both speakers on my desk and thought I’d share my thoughts after a session switching between the two in case it’s useful to someone! I had them both setup on the desk, in an approx 80cm triangle with my listening position, and I kept the volume fairly low as that’s my main use case – listen to tunes without being the neighbour who shakes the whole block :joy:

First of all, the difference that’s obvious in person and perhaps not so much when looking at product images online is that the MTM are much bigger than the Micros. The Micros are like the size of small multimedia speakers, the MTM are substantially bigger and in my current desk setup I have to have them horizontal, which is supported but not optimal. Worth keeping in mind if space is at a premium!

I think they’re both really impressive speakers. Given their size, the Micros really punch above their weight and there were times where I thought I actually preferred them slightly somehow (sorry, I’m not an expert on speakers so I can’t really quantify a lot of what I might say – my main speakers prior to downsizing room were Event 2020 BAS v3, which I enjoyed listening to, but couldn’t really comment on their sound in detail).

However, when you listen to music where bass is a key component, for example dub techno (which I’m a big fan of), the MTMs start to sound significantly better. The Micros can reproduce quite deep bass, but if you compare them, it just doesn’t sound that great – lower bass is almost a bit distorted on the Micros (maybe this is the port noise people speak about, I’m not sure) whereas it’s clear on the MTM.

Listening to tracks like Rhythm and Sound – Mango Drive or Artefakt – The Fifth Planet (Forest Drive West Remix) on the MTM’s sounded pretty amazing even at low volume to be honest – I was amazed how well you could hear the bass despite having the volume really quite low, whereas on the Micros, the bass didn’t sound that smooth and pleasant, and some of the lower notes were missing entirely.

I ended up using the MTM’s with the bass shelf set to 50hz, as at 40hz there was a bit too much bass and it maybe sounded a bit messy? I also tried the room correction, which I think made it sound somewhat clearer in general, a bit less bass but more controlled.

One other thing I noticed was that the MTM’s sound more “3D”, whether horizontal or vertically configured. Switching between them, this was pretty noticeable (I tried them in various positions to try to remove that as a factor). Also the “phantom centre” effect is more pronounced with the MTM’s – not something I’ve noticed with speakers before really, it freaked me out a little when listening to a vocal track at first! I actually didn’t notice a huge difference between them in horizontal and vertical configuration, which is good as for me right now horizontal is a lot more convenient (they look pretty slick on their side too).

Sooo… my conclusion is that for my taste in music, which skews towards techno and similar genres where low bass is quite an important element, the MTM’s are definitely the winner. Being able to hear those frequencies at low volume and sounding fairly “controlled” is exactly what I was hoping for. I think if I kept the Micros, I’d regret missing out on that in future, and I also think the MTM’s would scale better to a larger room if that were to happen in future. It helps that I got an open box deal on the MTM’s which made them £480, which is still more than double the Micros but being perfectly honest, I think they are worth it for that bass especially.

But if space or cost is a concern and especially if you don’t listen to “bass heavy” music so much, the Micros are also really impressive.

9 Likes

ok… I took the plunge :nerd_face:
I’ll have them with me in around a month, maybe less (a friend is bringing them to me from overseas)
I’ll report back then!

2 Likes

So you will have both micro and MTM? Would be interesting to make direct comparisons if possible, I’m the same room/mix position.

I’m considering the Micros for a project studio and travel. The price is great.

3 Likes

one of my JBL305 seems to be dying. is the Micro a suitable replacement? looking also at Presonus R65 (at a very cheap price). Maybe MTMs later down the line.