iLoud, Genelec, sound, and reliability

Another speaker recommendation thread! But maybe with a twist.

I just sold my beloved Yamaha HS8s because they’re just too big and heavy. I replaced them with a pair of iLoud MTMs, which I have tried before, and which are the equal of the HS8s. I did extensive listening tests, and while they have different strengths, neither is overall better IMO.

But these MTMs have a high-pitched whine. It’s a known problem, and IK is arranging a return.

One thing I liked about the HS8s was their reliability. I wondered if I might stretch to a pair of Genelec 8030s instead?

They’re bigger than the MTMs, and double the weight (5kg vs 2.5kg each), but perhaps more reliable long-term?

The Genelecs are also quite a lot more expensive, and I’m not a pro.

Thoughts?

i have the 8030’s and also the 8020’s. Built like tanks and superb sound, and very little hiss. Ive only had them for around a year so cant comment too much on their longevity but ive only ever heard good things from other longer term genelec owners. one thing i will say tho is that the 8030’s are way too big for my space, and being rear ported means quite a lot of rear reflection issues, even after making adjustments to the dip switches. im not a pro by any means either, so its not a massive issue for me, but id say unless you have good acoustic treatment in your space i’d probably suggest the 8020’s, or perhaps opt for a front ported monitor like the neumann kh80, which i owned for several years and was very happy with but oolishly sold when moving house.

That’s good to know. I wonder how the bass of the 8020s is compared to my old HS7s. That’s one of the benefits of the iLouds. The bass is deep and still tight.

id describe the bass on the 8020’s as tight, and definitely not lacking. but then again i dont make especially bass-heavy music, and for any critical listening when judging that sort of thing i always switch to my headphones (audeze) for a more reliable source.

2 Likes

Why are you moving from the Yamaha HS8’s?
Edit- ok, too big and heavy.

HS7’s or HS5’s then.

I’ve made this mistake before… I had Absolute 2’s back in the day for years… I knew them inside out. I upgraded to Dynaudio BM6a’s and mixing became sooo hard for a good 6-8 months… I ended up renting Abs 2’s back in on certain jobs that were higher pressured.

I’m not sure your overall situation and how successful/productive you’ve been with the HS8’s, but the HS7’s have a similar voicing and are great… if it’s critical work go for the same but slightly different.
If it’s for fun, take your pick and don’t sweat it.

2 Likes

I’m already regretting the sale of the HS8s, but they really are too big, and I’m soon moving to a smaller place. I used them for everything, and got great mixes.

That’s why I just want to buy something else and forget about it. It’ll take a while to get used to the new ones, but once I invest the time then I’m sure the results will be just as good – I also listen to mixes on little kitchen speakers, earbuds, etc.

EDIT: I’m also lucky enough to live near a big music store with a speaker listening room, so that’s on the to-do list.

2 Likes

I’ve been using my 8030s for a good 12 years or more. My space is large, about 15 foot × 20 estimate with a ceiling to match and they sound great in that space, (no treatment except record shelves). When I was play testing them I did compare them to the 8020 and I thought some mixers weren’t handling distortion on the smaller speakers. I also find bass is their weakest point (8030) as my dance tracks can be a bit bass heavey when played in a car - it still sounds good though. I prefer the pinpoint detail compared to my pioneer rm-05s.
I’ve even used one as a monitor at dj events and they seem to rock like the day I bought them.

2 Likes

I would get Neumann Kh120 or 80

They go down very low in frequency and no hiss at all

Super accurate and easy to customise in your room

I have had Genelec 8030 8020 and 1030.

I would say Neumann kh120, Genelec 1030 and KH80 are my best 3 top speaker specially you are producing dance/club music

3 Likes

…some basic thumb rules when it comes to monitoring…

half of what u hear, no matter what speakers u got in use, is the room they’re placed in…
little adjustments how to and where to place them in that room can make huuuge differences…
nearfield monitors better don’t rely on 8" membranes for their low end representation…
5", 6" and 7" membranes represent the way more essential for a good mix low and hi mids way better, since 8" tend to leave a “gap” here for prioritizing the low end, which can’t usually not really judged by ears only anyways, in any sort of homerecording setups without accousticly treated rooms…
dunno why weight is an issue for u, but basically, the heavier, the better…
if u can, go for full casted metal alloy casing models, since they guarantee u no selfresonating spots…only ones i’m aware of are the neumann monitors AND, there u go, genelecs…
while genelecs are famous for their most hifi factor within all monitoring competetors…
and it remains a question, if lot’s of hifi factor is the thing u want on a studio monitor…
whatever u pick in the end, make sure they’re accousticly isolated in standing…so some good rubber bits (check for sylomer, an accoustically proofed special foam in best case scenario) underneath their edges, avoiding (contercatching) any vibrations to ur workingdesk is always a very good thing to do…

always keep in mind, when it comes to studio monitoring, u don’t want “good” sound in first place…it’s a sonic tool for mixing…so what u need is as neutral as possible…with a proper stereostagefield…for nearfield mixing, i got neumann kh120 in use since ages…
here u can really judge ur mix in truu deatail and panning placements…if it sounds great here, i know it translates well to ALL other listening experiences…
sidefact…they became the new yamaha ns10 standard replacement for nearfields in the 21st century…

so have good monitoring for work and have some cheap and loud and pumping speakers for the fun of it… :wink:

and never forget…a mix is only finished after u checked it in a car, on some bluetooth speakers and on ordinary earbuds…cause THAT’s where ur music really has to work, must translate well, end of all days…

ps…if u want mixes that really work on big live and club soundsystems, leave the mastering job to somebody who really knows how to do this…

4 Likes

I moved to a sit-stand desk for body-getting-older reasons, and all that weight on the back side causes it to tip.

I use the speakers for two things. One is as monitors for making and mixing music. The other is for playing the guitar through (via a nice analog amp sim pedal and a mixer).

And one more thing–for background music while working, which is about as undemanding as it gets.

It’s too early for me to give an accurate review, but I recently went from Focal Alpha 6.5 to Genelec 8030. My room is untreated, and I set the 8030 dip switches as per manufacture instructions.

First impressions; a significant reduction in bass.

Panic over started to mix on them. It’s not possible to hear sub-bass on the 8030, so headphones are a must. With that in mind, the frequencies I am hearing are well balanced. At low levels, they are easy to work on.

My music has translated much better onto other systems. So in that respect, they’re working well for me so far.

5 Likes

FWIW I usually EQ out the sub bass on everything except the actual bass, and even then I cut it. My music isn’t for clubs, it’s mostly listened to on home speakers and headphones.

But I still want a full picture.

I had iLouds - the micro monitors - which were surprisingly good, but packed in after about a year and a half. Sample size of 1, but I question their reliability.

2 Likes

I’ve had the original slab-shaped iLoud for years, ever since I reviewed one of the first batch. Apart from a dodgy jack (it’s 3.5mm, what are you going to do?), it’s been rock solid.

Update: I tried some Genelec 8030s out in a local store, but not in the listening room, so I had to deal with room noise, low volume, non-ideal placement, and – worst of all – YouTube as a sound source!

Still, they were pretty good, although impossible to tell in that situation.

Still looking.

2 Likes

I have the 80’s and they are great for the size.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure I’m not sticking with the iLouds, although they do sound incredible when you’re in the sweet spot, and the 3D placing of the sounds is just ridiculously good.

But when you’re at the desk making music, moving around, or playing guitar, they’re not so good. I also used the Yamahas as a general-listening, background-music speaker, and the iLoud MTM is too harsh for that. Fatiguing.

I think I’m going to have to accept that the bass won’t be as good. Which is fine. Definitely not interested in a sub, though.

Maybe I should mix a track on these iLouds before they go back, and see how it compares. For me, the most important part of the mixing stage is listening on crappy speakers and headphones to see how it will really sound.

I thought the iLoud is the crappy speaker :joy:.
Now seriously you’re all over the place. Genelec is a pro level monitor, others speakers you have mentioned are entry level, and the iLoud is a plastic portable speaker, both with a totally different format and sound signature.
If you just need a small desktop monitor, there are plenty of cheap monitors on the market.
But if you are searching an expensive pro level monitor, it raises other questions like what kind of an acoustic treatment and audio interface do you have to ensure you will get the expected performance from them. And finally, speakers are a very personal kind of thing, like food, no one on the internet can tell you what kind of sound you would like.

Not to be the guy who recommends something not mentioned by the OP but…:flushed:

I don’t think Genelec are making them anymore but if you can find the M30 or M40 you get a great entry level option to the Genelec flavour. Very easy to tune to the room . I have the M30 and they are great for my small untreated room and translate pretty well. I sometimes wish I have the 40s when writing but I have a sub for the times I want to get silly.

My solution is to have JBL 305s (which can crank) for sound design/jamming on hardware and iLouds for tracking/mixing in Ableton. I wouldn’t mind some nice Genelecs or Neumanns that could do both well but can’t justify $2k+ on a monitoring solution, and this 2-pair setup fits well in my little studio corner.

6 Likes