If you’ve been looking for good prices

I’ll probably have to sell my DDJ-1000 due to the situation.
Prices have come down a little, not a lot, but they do fluctuate so it might not be related.

I got it for gig prep, and, well…

Hopefully the market stays fair for it, with DJs not so hard up looking for something they can use for live streams.

1 Like

So sorry to hear that!

4 Likes

:no_mouth:

probably be an interesting balance. prices will drop because less people have the disposable income for gear. and some who have the disposable income may be afraid to use it; with all the uncertainty right now, you never know if it will become less disposable in a week, month, etc… but if then prices are super low… well it gets quite tempting!

personally I’d like to sell some gear, as spending more time in the studio has caused me to streamline things. but I guess now I’ll be forced into that suggested “put it in a closet for a few months before you sell it off” idea.

2 Likes

People are vultures, honestly if you actually consciously think about it and feel any kind of empathy you’re doing better than most. Lots of people will talk nice about the subject but the second a cheap piece of gear pops up it will be gone as fast as it appears. This isn’t a direct at anyone, the people in the thread are not going to be the hundreds of people lurking who don’t think twice. If you’ve ever sold something because you need to you’ve probably seen the reality of it, I’ve gotten some shitty offers in the past

5 Likes

You’re assuming that people are not paranoid enough to buy second hand gear that might be infected

3 Likes

Sorry to hear that, man.

My wife is going through the same thing. Been working since she was a teenager, all the way through school. Never not had a job since 15 years old.
Reframing it in her head as a well deserved break is helping. I hope you can get some assistance that helps you in that regard as well.

6 Likes

This is a correct assumption. Deal hunters don’t care.

1 Like

and have sanitizing supplies

5 Likes

It just depends on the way the prices lower and the way you make the deal. Normally you have X Octatrack on your “regional” market in a given time. If they become 2*X the ones that really need money will offer a very significant discount. If you get the piece of equipment from them without questioning you are OK, if you push further for a bigger discount you are NOT OK.

The real troubles will start as soon as online stores will lower the prices themselves for the new stuff. I advice who needs money to sell before this happens.

The virus cannot exist more than 48hrs without a living host.

Sorry to hear that bud. I’m in the same boat… unfortunately I just seem to have a knack for working for places that just close down. This is now the 4th time my employer has shuttered their business for one reason or another.

It fucking sucks and hopefully I won’t have to sell of any gear to make ends meet. I did sell off or trade a ton of older stuff very recently, which I’m glad for because I’m sure the prices for that stuff is going to drop.

1 Like

True. Don’t spring for the 2 day shipping!

You’re more likely to contract it from a package handler coughing or sneezing on it.

3 Likes

Yes, if you see an already “weak” position and haggle rudely that’s exploitative. I expect that GAS will be affected negatively by the time that “fire sale” prices are commonplace. Risk aversion > compulsive nervous purchases to get that serotonin “buzz”.

They’ve tested it living for two weeks on empty cruise liners for this particular virus.

Another study suggests it is less of a concern- https://hub.jhu.edu/2020/03/20/sars-cov-2-survive-on-surfaces/

So perhaps it is trace amounts for longer?

1 Like

Important to note that it was not ‘living’ - traces of the RNA were found.

Similar to a strand of DNA or a drop of blood is not the same as the full singing and dancing human it came from, RNA doesn’t mean it’s viable, contractable virus.

3 Likes

Scientists discovered the virus is detectable for up to three hours in aerosols, up to four hours on copper, up to 24 hours on cardboard and up to two to three days on plastic and stainless steel.

this thread reminds me… has anyone noticed the number of used Monomachines on Reverb lately? I’ve been half-after one for a while now and generally there’s only maybe one available at any given time, and it’s absurdly-priced. now there’s four or five up there, and pretty reasonable priced.

which is great if you’re after one. but makes me a bit sad that it’s likely people in a tough spot.

1 Like

This is the info we’ve been following - any parcel sits beside our door for 25 hours if paper/card, and 73 hours if it contains plastic/steel (or less if we know how long ago it was sent).

This might be partly cyclical. Second hand gear prices tend to ramp up towards the end of the year, then drop from Jan-April.

2 Likes

possibly. yeah there’s usually a good bit of gear sales around tax time as well.

1 Like