If you’ve been looking for good prices

I bet so much cheap gear will be available soon. It’s not really unfair bc ppl need money and if you got some I bet second hand synths will be CHEAP in the next few months.

Is it horrible of me to think like this?

Edit; I’m not trying to be a jerk or screw someone over btw. I just imagined a lot of ppl going to eBay.

Well, that is a fact. Horrible? It depends , if somebody who lost his job is selling his OT at a very fair price and you try to bargain more then it is, if you pay a fair price to someone who needs the money it is not…

5 Likes

But will the balance of supply and demand shift if so many are out of work without certainty of when they can return to work, that they cannot afford to take advantage of the “deals”?

4 Likes

It’ll be a buyer’s market for some time, shouldn’t feel bad about purchasing as I’m sure many of us took advantage on the other side.

8 Likes

I’ve gotten great deals from folks in a pinch and have definitely given good deals while in a pinch. I never lowball and don’t accept lowballs. If you offer a truly fair deal, it will sell.

11 Likes

It’s selfish, I think. Which is not in and of itself a bad thing. There’s so much stress going around- fear and worry tends to draw people’s focus inward and any opportunity for optimism is definitely understandable.

It’s also pragmatic which I will never condemn.

But as others on the thread have stated, it’s a mutual favor. When I’m in a pinch, and need to sell some gear, I consider the buyer as doing me a favor- and if I offer a good deal then that favor is returned. Both parties appreciative of the kindness that has been offered to them. I guess just understand and empathize the possible predicament the other party is in might be a valuable perspective when engaging in these deals.

If you’re really worried about the state of your morality, maybe don’t celebrate paying only $700 for your Elektroog OctaVoyager

11 Likes

Ravish me
https://www.elektronauts.com/t/fs-analogkeys-nord-a1-au-syd/115650
Been trying to sell a Subsequent37 at stupid prices too for over a year.

3 Likes

Too funny!
Tbh, I’ll be buying smaller stuff. I would LOVE to buy that moog but I’m not that well off. Lol
Now, if you have a nord drum 2, make noise 0-coast, or boss rc-505 for a steal, I’m interested.

And btw, I’m more interested in people’s opinions and not trying to screw ppl over.

2 Likes

There’s a scale aspect to the underlying question, I reckon. If someone has been fortunate enough to have disposable income to spend on gear, then have to sell it to get through a hard time, that’s one thing. The real scumbags will be the landlords evicting people, banks forcing people to sell their homes for cheap, and the property investors that will be happy to profit. I wouldnt worry too much about a good deal on a synth in comparison.

10 Likes

We have a new tv ad in france, i saw it first time two days ago,from a supermarket chain. A guy and his son in a utilitarian car, aparently a commerce guy, go to a cheese factory, surely in order take cheese to his shop. After loading the cheese in the car, on the way back, the son is reading the bill. ‘ dad, didnt the cheese price goes way up??? ‘ dad: ‘ yeah, but dont worry it worth it’.
So supermarket is already communicating on a price rise of basic thing, to the mass, on tv. No question i think there will be low price on second hand synth, the question to me is will there be enough money to catch them after buying the pasta at the new prices…

2 Likes

Agreed!
And countries are closing out exports as well, exciting times… sigh

Just don’t be a douchey lowballer, prices will match what the market feels is fair.

I have a few eBay searches for stuff i really want but nothing is yet getting pinged, i expect as this goes on that will change in a few months. But by then i’ll be just as risk-averse.

We’re all stressed out. I’ve been trying to avoid GAS but it’s a quick rush when all is on fire.

Shit, i’ve been doing really well at eating vegetarian and with limited delivery options i’ve been caring less the last week or so, but trying to be patient and not beat myself up too much.

Windowshop in your head, but always keep in mind that there are people suffering worse than having to sell at a minor loss.

2 Likes

I want to say Thank You! to all the nice people i’ve met oh so briefly in my life, the maybe one in five; when i was selling something small, whatever i might have at the time 'cuz i needed the money and it was what i had. And those people not only didn’t haggle on the price, but they would throw in an extra twenty, and smile and make nice conversation, and just be major dudes and dudesses. I’ve not forgotten you, and now for once that i can be on the other side of that, it feels very good to do so.

9 Likes

I’ve had to do the quick sale thing when i was desperate for $$ and it was always a relief when it sold - so i wouldn’t feel bad if the shoe was on the other foot.

Tip for anyone in this position is not to say youre selling because you need money, better to say youre downsizing or something and would rather have it sold sooner or later - less encouragement to the vultures that way.

4 Likes

I’ve been thinking the same thing

If I had to buy anything from a retailer now, I’d definitely be asking what their best price was, and be like, really that’s your best?
I’d feel like a dick, but It’s my first time unemployed in 15 years :cry:

3 Likes

In Norway it’s the opposite right now. Our currency has taken a massive hit due to covid and lower oil prices and some music gear has seen a 50% price hike overnight. Somewhat counterintuitively I decided to go to my favourite music store in town and spend some cash anyway (I’ve been self-isolating for two-three weeks now - this was a worthy exception). Usually I’ll buy used to save money, but in this situation I wanted to support local business, especially since I’m lucky enough to have kept my job.

3 Likes

Filter Musikk? :wink: Ordered something from them a couple of days ago. My duty as a working citizen is to spend as much i can afford these days. Keeping everything afloat! hehe

1 Like

Yesss, you know it!

1 Like

I read somewhere some bloke bought an OT instead of buying decent meals for his family for a few months. Why feel bad for somebody who does this?