If you don't really know what's the genre you're into

Hi there, if you don’t really know where your inspirations come from, take a look at this site: Ishkur’s guide to electronic music

Zoom in, click on any of the colored “steps” on the “piano roll”, listen and enjoy!

For help, explanations and credits, click the button in the upper right hand corner.

A fantastic job!

Cheers!

(PS this is a highly bookmarkable link :wink: )

9 Likes

As someone who knows very little about the history of this stuff, it’s awfully informative and fun. The descriptions are pretty funny too

Acid House is House music with acid. What is acid? It’s a rubbery, squiggly, bubbly, whirrbly, trippy, bouncey, warpy, funky, filthy, screaming, squelching, barking, blistering, scratching, ripping, dripping, driving, liquid-like hypnotic mutant synthline produced by a little silver box called the Roland TB-303 Bassline.

3 Likes

Very useful indeed, thanks!

Clicking ‘Goa Trance’ in the 90s, I was a bit disappointed not hearing Astral Projection. But it’s cool, though. :slight_smile:

1 Like

They brought the experience back with them to the UK and a year later raves were born. There are tons of books, memoirs and documentaries written about this period because every generation thinks its first exposure to something is the best that something has ever been. And if you get famous later on for doing something, you too will mythologize your origins.

lol

2 Likes

Cool link.
I don’t know much about this stuff. The thing that really struck me is that according to this (unless I missed something) - there have been no new genres since Trap 9 years ago!
Is that ‘true’, anyone who knows?
Cheers!

vaporwave is the first one that comes to mind

and just looking at how ridiculously detailed and overnumerous the list is I’m sure there’s been another seven dozen since 9 years ago

An oldie but a goodie! Lots of good and funny stuff there, I think it has been online since early 2000’s or even late 90’s.

Thanks - was guessing as much. Hard to believe that this would be the first decade in the history of electronic music with no new genres!

It’s all in the “about” section:

Hi there. I am Ishkur. This is version 3.0 of Ishkur’s Guide to Electronic Music.
There is a bit of history to this. The first two versions of the Guide were Flash monstrosities released in 2000 and 2003. They may still be online somewhere if you look hard enough. Version 2.5 was maintained and updated for two years and was abandoned in 2005.
A Flash v3 of the Guide was planned in 2006 but never got past the pre-dev stage. After three design reboots, the abandonment of Flash, and several personal, artistic and technical decisions later, the Guide you are looking at right now was pre-dev’d in 2010. The map and music categorizing was mostly finalized around 2014 (but in some instances still isn’t done), programming in 2016, and content, art and functionality in 2017. Compatibility for all devices and formats as well as additional research and extras were added in 2018 and 2019.

This one is pretty cool too!

Musicmap (use the mousewheel to zoom in)

It’s a general overview of music history. Bookmarkable as well… It was published in 2016.

2 Likes

That is a great website! I didn’t know more than 90% of these genres. Thanks for sharing

1 Like

Another classic one:
http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/

Does not work on mobile.

Yeah, I’m in the same situation. I’ve been listening to a lot of electronic music over the last few years, but never could identify what genre it’s supposed to belong too. This is definitely a useful site. I haven’t yet identified what my own music should be called, but I see that as a very good sign to be honest…

Deconstructed club jumps to mind as well. This caused quite a stir when it came out

Edit: and PC Music / hyperpop as well

Interesting! Thanks for sharing :smiley: