If you could only own two drum machines what would they be?

I love my drum machines but if I had to pair down to just two idk which ones I’ll keep.
Current list includes
Perkons
Alpha Base
Digitakt
Syntakt
Isla S2400
OT.
Maybe I should exclude my samplers for a separate category?

2 Likes

Analog RYTM + Roland TR-8S

8 Likes

That basically covers every drum sound you could ever need. Nice!

1 Like

ah yea this is tough. would say for me if i had to pick 2 would be analog rytm’s synth engines + tr909
i like the 909 kick and toms a lot, instant smiles for me

1 Like

Analog Rytm + Nord Drum 3p.

These are the ones I kept after owning Syntakt, Digitakt and TR8.

5 Likes

I feel the same way with my Alpha Base. I love the kick.

1 Like

The ones I already own.
TR8S
Octatrack in drum machine mode.

5 Likes

Analog Rytm MKII
LXR-02
Honorable mention: Modor DR-2

3 Likes

The way I like to use the OT in my “drum machine mode” is set up a sample chain of 64 drum and percussion hits. Then play them back in slice mode! I even set it up with 128 kits! :joy:

Syntakt
TR8S

3 Likes

im gonna make like congress and sneak M8 and MPC Live in the backdoor as my two “drum machines”

if i wasn’t trying to be smart id pick a QY70 because it’s the only sequencer in existence with interpolateable grooves, like swing on crack, like ableton groove pool on game boy hardware, like stylus RMX groove templates on a non backlit LCD. and #2 would be a gd machinedrum, because sixteen tracks of all different lengths?!?!?!

3 Likes

TR8S seems to be a popular choice! I’ll have to try it sometime.

3 Likes

Elektron Machinedrum and Jomox Alpha Base

3 Likes

Because it is the boss.
Best drum machine I have owned. (Various Electribes, analog Rytm, digitakt, TR09)

4 Likes

Alpha Base :100:

1 Like

No Analog 4 yet?
I also enjoy using the slicer on the Blackbox and just experimenting with laying down different rhythms with the quantized sequencer. Great way to get some quasi random results that get you out of the typical 4x4 patterns.
The Impact is also a really good cheap jam box.

1 Like

Rytm mkII and a second one for emergencies.

I’d love a real 909, 808 and 606. I should probably get a TR8s. I’m lightly GASsing a Nord Drum 2 or 3. I like the digital drums in the Syntakt a lot… But none of these are as essential to me as the Rytm.

2 Likes

It is! It’s just so much fun! If you ever get writers block, the random pattern generator will get you going. It’s very immediate. It’s got its limitations for sure, but these are like sound design/sequencing boundaries & constrains I feel I need to not get stuck in endless tweaking. It also can be had on a used market for less than $500.
When I need a quick background track, this has lately been the working combo: TR-8S into MC-707 into Syntakt:

3 Likes

Sonic Charge Microtonic
Sugar Bytes DrumComputer

For real, these two feel like Nord Drum 3p + Volca drum + LXR02 combined

8 Likes

Rossum SP1200
Jomox Alphabase

2 Likes