Ideas for a dedicated Elektron MIDI sequencer - and why

We all know and love the Elektron sequencing system.
Most of us like using hardware.
I think there is a space in the market for a hardware MIDI sequencer made by Elektron, because:

-There is already a large user base that is familiar with the Elektron sequencer and many of them have other MIDI gear and like to work without a DAW at least sometimes.
-The Cirklon is too expensive and there is a long waiting list.
-The Pyramid is OK but also too expensive for what it is: The hardware is not up to Elektron standards (rubber buttons). The screen is too small, it has only 5 knobs that do not operate per track, touchpad is unnecessary and a potential point of failure, and its song mode is too limited. Also, Squarp has already jumped on the modular bandwagon which seems like a point of no return :grinning: (I don’t mean to start an argument about Pyramid here folks, please let’s keep it focused)
-The popularity of the Beatstep Pro shows that people are still interested in easy-to-use hardware MIDI sequencing.

Here’s what I imagine:

-The DT/DTN style of having the 16 steps in two rows of 8 is the way to go. But, the larger format (mk2) box will be needed to accomodate a mini keyboard (with octave ± buttons) a-la Analog 4.

-Fully poly sequencing with scales (pentatonic please) and chord input that offers chords based on the scale and root note chosen. (The Zaquencer does this!) Longer notes do not cut off at the next trig. 5 notes per step is probably a good minimum.
Dedicated CHORD page where the individual notes in a chord can be delayed and have their velocity adjusted, for strumming effects.

-At least 8 tracks. Selecting a track and playing the mini keys sends notes out on the channel set for that track.

-Instrument definitions per track: In a track settings menu you can assign a name to the track and assign names to MIDI CCs that show up on the display for the knobs.

-Use the Machinedrum system of CC control where any MIDI CC can be controlled per step… but with the option to freeze the “CC number” knob to avoid accidental changes. And/or , the knobs could be different colours (black and light grey) to easily distinguish the knobs that send CC data. Or, the “CC number” knobs could be moved to a separate page as long as the CC value knobs are labelled as per instrument definition. Saving the “kit” or similar saves the knob values per pattern like in the MD.

-MIDI learn in the track settings menu for quick assignment of CCs.

-Pattern change settings a-la AR (direct jump, etc). Patterns can be triggered from external MIDI notes as well as program changes and will respect the pattern change settings.

-IMPROVED PATTERN SELECTION. Enough with the “press Bank and press a number” thing… Seriously guys, this is a PITA. Hit a button to enter Pattern Select mode. This could use a different colour LED on the buttons and a window on screen to indicate you’re selecting patterns. The tt303 uses a different colour for each bank which is pretty cool.

-Program change knob like in the MD- but only sends the Program Change if not moved for 1-2 seconds.

-Conditional trigs, of course.

-Different pattern length per track.

-Micro-timing

-In step edit mode use different coloured LEDs to indicate visually the pitch or length of notes ?

-Trig Mutes

-Enter p-locks without entering notes. (“trigless trigs”)

-Tempo setting per pattern

-Song mode.

-Pattern chains that can be saved, as an alternative to the full song mode and for creating fill patterns without the awkward method of using the conditional trigs ( it makes it hard to edit the fills). For example, press FUNCTION and FILL to assign a pattern as a fill of the current pattern - OR to enter “fill edit” so only the fill’s trigs are shown.

-Retrigger button that works on steps (hold RETRIGGER and press a step to retrig the step for that track according to a quantization value that can be changed on the fly like in the AR - or press FUNCTION & RETRIGGER & a step to retrigger the step for ALL tracks -for creating stuttering effects on the fly.

-MIDI effects (delays, ratcheting, LFOs, arpeggiator per step that also works with the chosen scale). This could come later as it will need more work - only the LFO has been done by Elektron before as far as I know.

-Realtime recording of notes and pitch bend/ after touch / mod wheel. This could also come later as the focus is on step sequencing.

-Obviously, track mutes.

-Swing and slide. Accent not needed as velocity p-locking is sufficient.

-USB Host port that works with USB hubs
-2-3 MIDI outs
-Optional multi-output CV expansion for the modular users. They can afford to pay extra :slight_smile: or use the MIDI to CV converters they already have.

-Not as important: The screen could be larger or higher resolution to accomodate longer names for parameters: no more cryptic abbreviations!

-Should be doable for €599-€699 including VAT!!! Since there is no sound engine involved and most of the work on the MIDI sequencer has been done by Elektron already, I don’t think this is too much to ask!?

I have been wishing for something like this for a long time… I am very available for extensive beta testing :slight_smile:

Name suggestion : use/make up word related to brain, sequence, time. Or just call it Elektronaut !

Announce and show prototype at NAMM 2019 FTW! :star_struck:

2 Likes

Elektron sequencer is very powerful part of every Elektron box. Even if you are not using voicing area you could use sequencer with external gear. My opinion is that creating a separate sequencer will totally cannibalize all the sales of every other Elektron gear. Technically you dont need to buy Elektron gear anymore, if you have their standalone sequencer. You could buy any other equipment still having Elektron hardware experience.

If the MIDI / CV / Gate was included I’d buy it.

1 Like

The MIDI sequencing on other Elektron gear is too basic… but yeah I’m not holding my breath that Elektron will want to do this… but they could still incorporate these functions in their next box perhaps.

If the sequencer is incredibly in depth and the right price I think it would not necessarily cannabalize the other elektron boxes but bring new users into the fold. Imagine the musician who has a studio full of synths but is uninterested in the elektron sound or the musician who wants an elektron box that is suited to control a large modular system and needs more than 8 midi tracks. There is definitely a place in the market for it as dedicated sequencers have become quite popular.

3 Likes

Just think logically. Elektron is 20 years in the business. If they were opposite to my opinion, they would create such box long ago. Yes, there is some little market for such sequencer… I would but one as well. But market is probably small enough comparing to potential damage to the company and future sales. If I owned Elektron, I would never create such sequencer.

But you don’t own Elektron and maybe they will feel generous. :joy:
As jefones pointed out, not everyone who has a harwdare setup cares about the elektron sound… that includes me. I only care about their drum machines and I use synths from other companies and samplers on Ableton. You can do the MIDI parameter locking and so on with Push or Maschine… or even with Pyramid … but an Elektron standalone sequencer would attract a lot of interest IMO.

I think the elektron sequencer has evolved significantly over the years, enough to warrant considering a standalone sequencer even though they have been around for 20 years and haven’t done it yet. If you go back 10 years ago making a standalone sequencer off the mnm/md sequencer would not have made much sense because even though it was great at the time it’s not as mature as it is now.

Just my thoughts.

If elektron made a dedicated midi only box I would buy it. between trig conditions, scenes and extensive cc/nrpn control, there could be so much ground a stand alon box covers the others dont that it could potentially be in line with theirproduct methodologies. I mean the only reason i still have my MD is for a dedicated midi box, which i eould love to upgrade

2 Likes

Lets just hope my opinion is wrong!

You forgot to add the reasons not to build a MIDIBox Seq V4 :sunglasses:

1 Like

Yeah, if you want to build another one I’ll buy it! There’s a metal panel available that just needs some wooden sides, I think.

Once I finalize my design I’ll consider a small run of cases…

2 Likes

I would buy it!

1 Like

Hmm I have heard that Elektron have recently got investors in… This explains a lot and makes it even more unlikely that this MIDI sequencer will ever happen. The investors will be pushing for mass market appeal to compete with the likes of Roland, hence the rushed Digitakt/ Digitone and the obsession with Overbridge. They will probably not understand why a box that makes no sound will sell.
They don’t share Elektron’s original vision and will probably eventually sell out to the highest bidder … then it’ll all be iOS software because making hardware with real buttons and knobs and multiple analogue outputs is clearly not as profitable.
/doom&gloom

I originally bought the octatrack to use only as a MIDI sequencer. It’s still a pretty viable alternative for this, with true polyrhytm/polymetry, a kickass song mode and all the usual elektron perks like copy/pastes, offsets etc. Combine it with a MIDI processor like the bomebox or event processor plus (to get beyond certain limitations that 4 parts per bank causes) and you got yourselves quite a sequencing powerhouse.

Learning to love the audio side of OT has been a far longer process tbh

1 Like

Well, that sounds a bit more promising. If Elektron was pushed to compete with Behringer and Roland it would be the end of what they became loved for.

I wonder what the relationship with Arktos is… Elektron comes up with a concept that Arktos has to approve? Are the Arktos people themselves into making music with hardware? :smirk: or are they just grey businessmen in suits?

I don’t think elektron see behri as a competitor. Behringer is all about analog tech, most of their synths doesn’t even have presets or CC support, let alone digitally controlled sections & DSP. Not yet anyway.

personally I’m not interested in a dedicated midi sequencer but I would like to see in their future sequencers / updates to existing ones:

conditional locks (so a single trig can have multiple locks that play alternatively every passing in various ways).

p-locks be separate to the trigs so you can shift the locks forwards / backwards while trigs stay stationary.

forwards / backwards / pendulum etc functions for sequencer direction.

individual track speed divisions like on OT. [all elektron sequencers should have this one already imo. I wish for it every time I turn em on].

amongst other things.

1 Like

Well, they have the DeepMind… Maybe they are the ones to approach with this!

I know , I’m a bad man. :hushed: