I think Elektron sequencer are really great, but

Copy pattern, change a track on the copy, voila, now you have two variations of nearly the same thing. Repeat ad nauseam.

4 Likes

Imagine you have two patterns. Both patterns have different Melody and all one pattern has hip hop drum pattern and the other has a house drum pattern. OP wants to be able to change out the house drum pattern for the hip hop to be able to try a different melody without having to rely on copy and paste.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Personally, I found the power and flexibility of Ableton’s Session view daunting and difficult (impossible) to get the best out of. I even tried using Push for it.

So… clearly there’s demand for that flexibility, because Ableton and Bitwig are very successful. But I suspect it’s not for me (certainly not at this time in my journey).

2 Likes

Yeah, this is a good compromise when composing, but the way it was implemented on the Tracker was fucking great for improvising and performing with.

1 Like

Does it rely on reading the screen to know what you’re doing?

OT workaround. A nice one I use a lot

7 Likes

Yeah, I use a Circuit Rhythm when I’m not using my Digitakt. I really like the pattern system. Each track’s patterns are independent of one another. And you can do direct jumping between them.

At the end of the day, I think I’d prefer to just write out a bunch of patterns on my Digitakt and chain them. But it’s a really nice change of pace.

1 Like

Yeah, but it’s laid out in a really simple way, so it only takes a glance to know what track is on which pattern

1 Like

If I didn’t rely heavily on 64-step patterns I’d use the hell out of this. Unless I’m fundamentally misunderstanding something.

Nice. Sounds worth a look-in.

My eyesight’s dreadful. Photos of Tracker have, so far, left me thinking it has an interface I’d struggle with.

Honestly this is the thing I wait on the Elektron sequencer.
I mean, select a bunch of track switching those track from current pattern to a new pattern and keeping the other in the current pattern.
If it would be possible it would lead to UI issue like saving. But on the live workflow it would be really good !

Because Most of the time I do a pattern then another one and I’m not in the mood to create good transition between them.
So being able to switch two track at a time would be great !
I use nanoloop and the 707 this way.

I built a sequencer in Max for Live for my APC40 back in the day.
I wish the Elektrons would have different modes, like reverse, back and fourth, random etc, but more importantly the ability to set start and end points on a sequence on the fly.
This way you could experiment with just using sections of a sequence and various playback modes.
And finally a way to jump out of that and go back to the entire sequence playing as it was programed

3 Likes

Hard to say without seeing with your eyes, but the screen is pretty massive and a lot of it can be sort of zoomed in. Also, a lot of the controls correspond to the buttons below them.

I guess it mostly comes down to how readable the text is.

1 Like

I should find a demo one some time.

1 Like

@Octagonist I am 42, and extremely near-sighted (99th percentile baby!). Of course, my vision is corrected with lenses. At any rate, I found the Polyend Tracker’s screen to be quite luxurious and readable. And, as Fin25 mentioned, once you get the hang of using the buttons & pads, the user experience gets even smoother.

2 Likes

There’s def ways it could work easy. Elektron patterns are more like ‘scenes’ if comparing to Live. If each tracks sequence data is just a ‘clip’ - you could do something like hold ptn & up or down arrow to move between / add a new clip for each track.

Would love this feature

I wonder if elektron has any plans to respond to these ideas in the form of a next-gen Dynamic Performance Sampler, a modern revisit of the Octatrack concept but maybe with a more tracker-like approach to sequencing in general.

No you’re right - it really means working in single pages (16s). At least on the tracks you want to do this on. You could do 48s (3 pages) and leave the last one as a clipboard, but can only paste in replacement pages one at a time…

1 Like

I understand what you mean, and that would be useful. However, by going into Advanced mode of Scale, you can mess with an individual track’s length and tempo. It’s not exactly what you’re looking for, but it’s something.

1 Like