I switched from Digitakt to A4mk2. strange feelings : )

oh, yeah you’re right. Great advice ! i will try out some of them as a first step

1 Like

Do you really think a mono synth will fix the “only 4 voices” problem?

The Dominion may be great, but comparing it with an A4 is nonsense. The A4 is a completely different kind of machine (Elektron sequencer/CV track/master effects/programmable performances etc.pp.).

The Neutron on the other hand may be a nice companion for the A4’s CV capabilities due to its low price point (~300.-), it’s great sound and the extensive patchbay.

Only for 4 voices: Well, yeah, it’s not really much, so you need to be a little creative how to use them. But in combination with other devices (your DN for example), the 4 voices can shine.

I’m still in the get-used-to-it phase with my A4, but sooner or later I’ll think I will pair it with an Octatrack, so I can live-sample it in stereo and re-use the 4 voices afterwards with another pattern.

You actually got a great deal on that… Analog circuitry is much much more expensive to build than digital devices due to design/parts/manufacturing process. Digital you just throw in more code, analog you have to design a circuit, get parts, and then actually build it, for every component. For reference this is coming from someone who currently has $23 and a pile of quarters… :smile:

3 Likes

Enjoying your bids Dave, keep em coming!

1 Like

Sounds like a typical buyers remorse feeling thing. It happens to most of us all the time. It might just be temporary… Whenever I pay over 300 buckazoids for any instrument/gizmo, I initially feel a sense of ”why did I buy this again?” regardless of how awesome a thing it is. Only after a year or two do I really have a solid grasp on how a device suits me (or not)

forget you paid money for it and try to use it as your only synth for a while.

and get some sound packs to get an idea of the sound pallette! Its vast

For some reason, learning to coax great sounds from the A4 takes time. Its not an SH101 which you can just mess with drunk on stage and it’ll always sound great.

7 Likes

Haha.

3 Likes

I will Say the more Time i spend with this machine the more i love it, i bought the digitone and thougt maybe i will sell the A4, but they’re totally different synth , i cannot part with it , it’s an unique device, take time to learn it inside out,it is a beast of a synth really ! And i’m only mk1 but wait until overbridge is out you will have your mind blowed !

1 Like

I wanted to reply to procyborg du now how to edit :expressionless:

I’ve never parted with a musical instrument I’ve bought since the 80s and I don’t think I’ll start doing it now :slight_smile:

3 Likes

already last night i was able to discover some of the potential of the A4 ! I will keep it !

1 Like

Cheers, thanks hoppy!

@Procyborg good choice :slight_smile: dive in deep, and if it still isn’t a fit, then trade it for something else.

1 Like

I’m similarly somewhat new to elektron. (Digitakt got me on board last year) and got the A4mkII in November. I had a few days where I just couldn’t connect with it. But I’ve been getting better and can honestly say it’s probably my favorite analog synth. It just nails that sounds I want out of a synth so well. The latest biopads pack was immensely inspirational to me as well. There’s my anecdote :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

thanks for that !

i would like to thank you guys for all your suggestions and opinions - its such a great forum here with so much inspiration and people investing time to REALLY help.
Most of the people i know in real life would not be that kind :frowning: :smiley: haha <3

4 Likes

I have a Digitakt and A4MKII. I love them both. I like to sample the A4MKII drum and percussive sounds into the Digi, then use my Digi for drums and music/voice samples, and for sequencing in some other synths via midi tracks. Then my A4MKII is free to lay in sweet analog bass and leads, and all of the amazing “performance” tweaks available. Really can do some amazing things with the two!

So, to the original poster, I’d say, “keep your A4MKII, and claw back that Digi”… hahah good luck!

I’m currently saving for a Rytm as well.

edit: just noticed I’m replying over a year and a half later… oh well! So, OP - what’d you do?

edit 2: Some inspiration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbsBS6_Ju_4

1 Like

I’d say the A4 and DT are about as different as 2 Elektrons can be. In my case they’re increasingly the 2 that I use together as there’s so little overlap, other than a general design philosophy. My current live setup is A4mk1 + DT + Eurorack.

Tried using a DN + Eurorack combo for a while but it wasn’t as flexible/fun.

1 Like

…apart from rytm, i got them all in use…

and the a4 is my most favourite of all elektron music machines…
and is also the reason why i have no need for da rytm…because a4 shines also for analog percussive sounds…big time…

two of my everlasting biggest tunes came out of this machine ONLY…ok, with vocals on top, but hey…this machine is singing along with me for real and nothing else…

give it some time…it really needs time to warm up with and for u…
and as u said, ur not that deep into elektron yet…the sequencer is, as in all others, an instrument of it’s own…4 voices sounds not much in first place…but this is truu analog full on, digitally controlled and therefore pretty fast in jumping around…one track with one voice can fulfill already all rhythmical edges a track/song needs…
plocks are nowhere else that most effective…
and u spend at least 400 bux for those fx alone, which are built in there…not to mention, that they have their own dedicated sequencer lane…and they are unique on the swedish planet and nowhere else to find in any other elektron box this way…

hold ur gas a little longer before u open pandoras box with the modular stuff…
first find out about the a4’s osc2 open feed…

3 Likes

This is golden…

A4 shines when you know it. In the beginning it is meh… It is not instant gratification like Moog,or DSI but over time it builds up.

2 Likes