I really really want a Vermona DRM-1 MKIII

I am seriously GAS’ing for a Vermona DRM…

i currently use my trusty OT for sampling and my MD UW+ for endless CTRL AL fun…

I’ve had a Rytm x3 and didn’t gel. I’ve thought about a Tanzbar but it looks a bit flimsy… Arturia Drumbrute looks plasticky… TR-8 is ugly… Norddrum 3p cool but meh…

Am I being dillusional for wanting a knob per function, hands on, lush analog sound… in a sturdy metal enclosure, with individual outs that I can use inserts on that I can add back into my stereo mix?

I can control it via my OT or MD… why should I not get it?

***edit: as a very happy owner of a Perfourmer, I am drawn to the excellent build quality and lush sound of the Vermona experience ***

2 Likes

You could also always get a midi controller with a ton of knobs and connect it to a rytm or Nord drum.

And regarding tr-8 and drumbrute looking ugly. It’s about the sound… :wink:

1 Like

Agree the TR-8 is closest thing to an 808 or 909 and the Arturia has received raving reviews…

But that Vermona…

ive also been looking at the mk3 or tanzbar , maybe try and sample pack from the mk3 …although ive already got enough drum machines . …I’m sure the tanzbar is good but ive got a decent sequencer and it a little more straightforward to use …

tr8 , lxr , volka kick , hr16b,machine drum,rytm and most samplesfrommars drum packs.

the arturia seemed ok when i tried one , i liked the sequencer … not too blown away by all of the sounds though

Just pull the trigger. Which one you getting ? Standard or deluxe ?

vermona is classic, but it’s also super limited.

i had one for a few years being run by a MnM. not being able to save patches is a bit of a pain. i’d never wanna work on another track (tho i typically work on the same track until i finish before moving to something else). the snare is fairly weak, love the clap and everything else it has to offer. finally, the ability to multitrack is grand.

if i had the space, i’d love to get one, but yeah, also limited. i wouldn’t want it to be my sole source of sounds.

1 Like

Had it for a while, sold it off to finance the AR. I must say, the raw sound is by far fatter and warmer than anything else I’ve played with. Hated the hats, right untill after I sold it, miss them now. It hits like a sumbtch, and it grows on you. Go for it, and if you do, give it time. Althoughh it is pretty straightforward, to really get to know it, time is needed. Good luck!

I didn’t like the Vermona super much when I owned one. Not that wide a sweet spot for useable sounds, so samples can pretty easily replace it. Maybe if you make experimental music, but most of the sounds it makes don’t have much use in a house/techno kinda context.

Neither does it sound superb (IMO), I like many other drum machines much more, in the similar price category.

Some great perspectives here as usual.
Ive had a look at a quite extensive list already and the reason I am revisiting is because I bought a Push 2 and loved it… but I ended up missing the “no computer just switch on and jam” part…

Tempest is maybe great for that too? Although I hear a bit of a hit/miss for users

I bought one a month ago to go with my Octatrack, and I really like it a lot, it’s very alive and extremely tweakable. The sound is great IMHO. Yes you might not want to play a gig without carefully tuning the kick drum on it first, as the sweet spot there is quite narrow, but if you have an OT already it’ll go very nicely with its sequencer, and you can substitute samples whenever you like. Part of the attraction for me also was that there are a wide range of weird sounds it can make, and it’s not like a traditional 808/909 drum synth. Also because there’s no patch memory it forces you to record whatever you’re doing, which can only be a good thing.

1 Like

Lol I was looking at the standard because not sure I’m crazy about the chrome knobs?!

Been thinking about the CV triggers too… they dont do volume over CV so think its pointless if one has a decent midi box - OT to the rescue!

I’ve had both the chrome and the regular knob versions, and the non-chrome knobs we’re much easier for me. The colors helped me locate things faster and build up visual memory.

2 Likes