I need to say it!

++1 Love my AK + OT

1 Like

Itā€™s probably just me, but a nice fringe benefit of the Octatrack is that for some reason the name often reminds of the Quadro Pounder.

The lawsuit thing is definitely true, it was back on the old E-U forum, around 2011 I think, some guy was doing a radio show IIRC, and did not understand what feedback was, cranked it to max whilst playing live and was shocked/dismayed/bemused/angy/puzzled/litigious about the loud screeching he had manifested due to his own lack of understanding.

Iā€™m not certain if that was why the feedback was nerfed by Elektron, but it pissed a lot of us off.

It was definitely the chorus BTW.

7 Likes

Thatā€™s pretty wild! So was the issue just too much feedback? I wish I could try that chorus now.

One thing this made me think of is the gain on the OT compressor. That comp has a fuck ton of gain, and I love it. I often use it as distortion: I like to overdrive the compressor and lower the mix level, then resample. I like overdriving things on generalā€¦ For example, I have an old Mackie board I like to drive hard to generate distortion. Iā€™m glad they didnā€™t tame the compressor, like they did the chorus.

1 Like

Not one to really toot my own hornā€¦ but I think this jam really showcases how bonkers the effects can getā€¦ every sample is stock except the vocals (which are my own) and the rest is chorus and compressor freaking crankedā€¦ I think I have something like three compressors in tandem on some tracksā€¦

14 Likes

savage

Love the nod to Arrested Development :laughing:

I guess it was before OS 1.25C I had when I received my OT.

How would you compare that Chorus feedback with Flanger ?

Btw using Comb Filters with an lfo on tune can be very interesting as chorus or flanger. I got VERY interesting results using that lfo on tune with 2 serial Comb Filters with opposite feedback settings (negative and positive). Maybe an octave up pitch for negative feedback, not sure.

Using opposite settings also compensate the huge DC offset due to Comb Filtersā€¦

3 Likes

Yes it was 0.995

ā€œFeedback could make the Chorus self resonate when using 4-5 stereo taps. Fixedā€

It was pretty wild at max setting, good for metallic and crazy sounds, although my memory of it is a bit hazyā€¦

2 Likes

I love comb filters in general and the one on the OT does not disappoint. It reminds me of the one in Renoise.

I like running drums through the OT comb filter and then resample and pitch it down, then resample again and slow it down more. Fun textures

2 Likes

"Playing" the comb filter using a custom LFO? - #5 by sezare56

19 Likes

Thatā€™s dope. Ok, Iā€™m going to have to go make some comb filter melodies with the LFO designer now

1 Like

That was pretty sweet on that beat.

I have put my OT away for now. Been doing other things. Just using my xd module and layering occasionally over dubbing on my minikaoss pad. Itā€™s been a refreshing experience.

The OT, Mmm so much you can say about it, love, like, get frustrated and not like about it. My synth is like my main thing, and the OT for the time Iā€™ve had it Iā€™ve got my head wrapped around what I wanted out of it. I feel bad for people that get stuck on the ā€˜Iā€™m not using enough of what it can do.ā€™

Been listening to a teacher whoā€™s mp3 are atrocious and am wanting to load them into it and adjust the volume as it spikes and filter out the aliasing, and see if Iā€™ve really learned how to smooth out something with the OT.

Iā€™m really glad I have it, it is like an all in one that Iā€™m happy with even with itā€™s technically minded approach. It brought me some mental structure in thinking on how to use things and it gives you that deep sea exploration of itā€™s features that will always have itā€™s beckoning. Not that Iā€™m worried about whether or not I actually get to it all.

1 Like

listening to your music is what made me decide to buy an OT

1 Like

Oh thatā€™s sweet !
I hope youā€™re happy with it and also not too much disappointed if I tell you that the music I make (at least the one that people know) is 0% Octatrack!
Itā€™s 100% Ableton Live + MaxMSP.

3 Likes

and violin still?

Yep, and other analog instruments !
But letā€™s stick to the topic !

5 Likes

8 Likes

More than 2 samplers. To me.

3 Likes