I need a Studio Desk

Amazing, they do look great… well designed and built. I do actually fancy one tbh. :grinning:

I also have one, and it’s fantastic. I have a VESA arm on the top shelf for my monitor, and the bottom shelf is the perfect height for a typing keyboard (ie lower than most computer desks, which are all too high.

Cable management is ingenious, and the shelves move smoothly even when loaded.

Not cheap, but it’s a buy once, use forever piece of furniture. Not much is stronger than plywood for a desk.

2 Likes

Nice, I have a Patlay Crafts desk (which I’ve mentioned above), and that is fantastic, but I do need another to replace a standard Ikea desk I use next to the Patlay. Interesting on the mouse height, as I also use the desk for my day job, so that’s really important. The Audiohousing one looks next level in terms of build and functionality, and I totally agree in terms of pay more but buy once so-to-speak! I’m hoping they’ll give me a discount code if I bang on enough about it in this thread haha :grinning:

1 Like

I bought a massive automatic standing desk from Uplift. It was about 1000 bucks. Best decision I ever made. Got some speaker stands to clip to the edge and all my gear fits one it. Made a few custom shelves to stake all my gear on it, and it’s a lot of gear, weighs a lot, and I can still scratch vinyl with out it shaking extended all the way up.

Studio desks are such a nuisance - if it’s a general design it won’t suit a specific setup, or if it’s designed to suit a setup, that setup inevitably changes. I remember seeing a studio tour for someone who had all their synths on a keyboard rack but nothing hooked up, just on display. When they wanted one they just grabbed it and put it front and centre on the desk and patched it in. Not so effective if you want to be sequencing everything obviously but man did it seem like way less hassle.

I’d love to grab a motorised sit/stand frame with a high weight capacity and build a keyboard tray under the table top and various stands and racks on top. I wanted to for my main desk build but it was out of my budget and it’s overkill for my next build.

At the moment I’m toying with building a side desk for three 61 key synths. Those Audio Housing ones look quite nice so will use them for a bit of inspiration, just going bigger and maybe with some storage underneath. I want to use long heavy duty rails for the trays so the desk can be back against the wall but the trays can slide out far enough to be used from the main desk as well (600-700mm extension). Will probably put my pedalboard on the main tray so it’s in easy reach for patching fx.

/ramble

1 Like

If you are 6’ or over in height I recommend the output platform (using the risers it comes with). My setup has changed a number of times, but the desk is always just right for everything. I have heard people shorter than 6’ say that it wasn’t quite ergonomic for them either with or without the risers though.

Definitely one of my best purchases

2 Likes

What desk is that

2 Likes

Have seen a few people mention the Audio Housing desks here, just wondered how they were looking a year later.

Still sturdy, non warped, etc?

Folks still recommend them?

Well, they make the images on their website harder to see when you roll the mouse over them so I infer their designers don’t give a flying fuck for usability and thus their desks will be shit.

#triggered #sorry

2 Likes

I need a new desk in a couple months when I buy the Big Six.

Think I will built my own and save a couple grand. Damn these desks are expensive!

Moved between countries twice with a Audiohousing desk. Still no warping or problem. Very easy to pull apart and move with

1 Like

Still excellent. I have also disassembled it once to move it. I also use the pull-out sections a lot, fully-loaded.

1 Like

How sturdy are the pull-out sections with a keyboard on it and heavy piano playing?

I have this ˇˇˇˇˇ. The legs are really sturdy and work great, surprised with the quality you get for $140 shipped. It’s the top that’s shit particle board, but works fine either way. Personally I’d buy this again just to use the legs and finish my own piece of wood for the top, still saving $600+ instead of buying the “higher end” standup desks.

https://www.wayfair.com/Inbox-Zero--Altamae-48-Adjustable-Height-Standing-Desk-X117371505-L32-K~W006260494.html?refid=GX548944576245-W006260494&device=c&ptid=1429994295540&network=g&targetid=pla-1429994295540&channel=GooglePLA&ireid=178508056&fdid=1817&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9MCnBhCYARIsAB1WQVWv8shBVWcfJehkZSd2KzZOi9kZaWhwdh0K_7LvDXl9g6Gs4SS20zUaAhJ3EALw_wcB

Excellent. It feels like you’re using a regular desk. Very sturdy. I have an 88 key midi controller on the bottom shelf.

2 Likes

I own the Compact One from Audio Housing. It’s solid wood, the fixings are also designed to be removed so they are very sturdy unlike IKEA etc.

I love this desk because I have double the workspace in half the area

2 Likes

thanks all, think i’m going to push the button
i’m curently using one i tried to make myself, and it’s wonky af!

1 Like

Some Audio Housing desks available at a discount for those interested: outlet – audiohousing

1 Like