I miss the 90ties and Gabber

CD 2, Track 1 and Track 4.

1 Like

Not sure what you’re talking about, but gabber is about love

1 Like

Wasn’t it invented and adopted by Feyenoord fans?

Not a CD I play at Christmas with the family but it gets played regularly when home alone :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No. Maybe Feyenoord fans did like the music, but no way it was invented by them.

Pretty much all artists in the scene were and still are against racism and violence.

2 Likes

To compare Feyenoord fans to nazi’s (as you did in the flagged post before this one) is really crossing a line. Rotterdam was bombed to shreds during WWII.

Not to say that there isn’t any racism on the stands, as there is in any big fanbase. We also have that problem and I hate it.

But as a proud Feyenoord fan (for 35 years, season ticket holder) I am getting a bit tired of being stereotyped like that. My crew is full of people trying to make the world a better and more inclusive place in their daily lives.

2 Likes

it’s 01:51 am here and I’m celebrating the new year with

and

… really not “Happy Hardcore”, not “happy” but rather “romantic”, “melancholic”, but also hard, noisy, weird … and don’t believe in 87385896 youtube videos telling you that the kick has to be tuned to some lousy key! :wink:

8 Likes

Oh my, this thread brings back memories.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, Marusha… Big love and big disappointment later (what are these “show-business” tracks, for a lack of better words?)
I think everyone had her records or listened to it then. There are some VIVA channel videos on YT like interview with people from Netherlands about gabber in 90’s (so strange nowadays, like it needed a special trip to overseas to discover some unknown music).

However she recently started producing new records with that oldschool vibe. Not much information, but sounds not bad (not “hardcore”, but anyway)

2 Likes

Well, many people were at one point in their life musically confused, and she has done too much good as I would be mad for some songs I don’t like. Back then and today, I don’t even like her album “Wir” (that’s with “Deep” on it, which I also don’t like) and didn’t follow her music after that.

Thanks for the link, it’s yet a different style (more hard techno-y?!)! A few years ago she released the album “Rave Satellite”, and one of the songs takes one straight back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLLxuqleK6Y (“touches me”) this one is nice too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEr2TZ5fPsU (“supernova”)

I got to know her first because of her show “Feuerreiter” on public television broadcasters (ORB, NDR 3, …), which was my window into the world, out from a horrible childhood. There, she always presented a very diverse selection of music such as House, Gabber, Hip Hop, Trance, … (Somehow I totally missed her radio show Rave Satellite, maybe I had no reception.)

For example, this show:

Interviews with Neophyte, Theo and Charly Lownoise, Paul Elstak, Miss Djax, and some dude from an religious (?) Anti-Techno Movement :ecstatic: I remember seeing Lenny Dee in another show when I listened to “F__ing Hostile” Remix on repeat from Thunderdome 3 :pl: I’m enthralled that some good people put it up on youtube.

Edit: Is it possible you were talking about Feuerreiter - which did not run on Viva? :wink: Viva had some hours long live coverage from Mayday with Marusha as guest, but apart from that, Viva was a completely different, extremely commercial culture.

Back then, there was a CD record shop which I could visit only every few months, and they had a few techno CDs and I could afford one each trip. Got Thunderdome 2, 3 and some Mokum stuff that way … everything else was Marusha’s Feuerreiter show (well, and an obscure open channel radio show, from which there is zero trace on the internet), put on VHS and Cassette.

3 Likes

Yes, exactly that kind of shows. Youtube of late 2010/early 2020s just helped me to re-launch my teenager years, now we can actually see it :smiley:

“Rave Satellite” tracks are ok, but a bit too polished :slight_smile: That early 90’s records had rough sound and production by today’s standards, a part of its charm
(but seriously, a delay on a kick drum in “Cardinal Point of Life” or that weird theremin in “Voltage Pulse”, miss such things even in our world of techno overproduction)

1 Like

thanks for the update - did not know that

Yeah, she always did weird, extreme and unexpected things. At least at that time. Probably inspired me to always do weird, extreme and unexpected things musically as well :wink: Personally I have no complaints about the production of those classics, I think there’s nothing one could make better without making it musically less good. Also it’s not like back then people made music with cracked VSTs on a Laptop, they did it mostly in Studios with expensive gear.

Of course there’s stuff that sounds really bad (production-wise), like Nasenbluten.

I think it’s a bit of a dead of creativity to make everything conform to Ableton youtube tutorials.
I say many of those amazing ideas aren’t even translatable into whatever is an arbitrary standard today or tomorrow (which have their own ideas).

It is interesting to listen to some remasters, most often they lack the magic of the original and leave everything to be desired. Like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7FVa0oFwtw vs. the original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo-223MGpLg … why is the bassline octavized making it a tasteless joke? Why is it compressed with extreme and bad settings making it sound horrible and broken? And even the main musical - genius! - idea is gone: That the kick is tuned a half step apart from the bassline. How to completely destroy a majestic masterpiece.

2 Likes

Every element of this track is weird. One of my very favourites.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Yeah, dancing resonance! Nice one!

1 Like

it was not wise to listen to it on iPhone without phones… :slight_smile:

My request would be impossible, but maybe someone in this thread has an enormous collection of hardcore records and an absolute memory.

I am looking for the track I heard only couple of times in 1997 on local radio (no record survived).

1. It was rather slow acid hardcore track, mostly without any vocal samples; a deep industrial atmosphere
  2. It was starting with signature spare synth riff (rough sounds, almost not melodic)
  3. had a slow deep kick and in the middle had a gorgeous “drop” section with fantastic deep and aggressive 303 line.
    Basically the core of the track: cool distorted acid line with slow, tank-like deep kick.

The DJ frequently was mixing it with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma3qW1_-S9Y and these tracks had something similar to each other, deep atmosphere, deep kick, sparse mix, only rough stabs and effects (no dance floor riffs, etc).

I tried a lot of options (found the compilation DJ was using - Rave Massacre 6 and also id’d the other tracks) looked to the Mindtraveller’s other works. Even tried to chase this DJ on that radio via email to only receive “wtf?!” response (not sure why, a valid question before streaming).
Even search in Discogs over “acid hardcore” produced between 1996-1997, but no luck. If this description suddenly rings any “kicks” please shout :smiley:

1 Like

…i miss the 90ies, too…but not for gabber…even given the fact that this most unsexy and therefor undanceable version of techno rumble see quite some revival lately…

if i could feel and vibe with this subgenre, i’d be a happy hardcore full on, since it would be way too easy for me to produce countless shitloads of it and i would hammer it throughtout and all over half this fukked up planet 24/7 until my and everbody elses’ ears are bleeding…