I’m really thinking time to swap octatrack for digitakt

You come across many examples of people who wanted to move away from their computer to make music. Some even go back to it or find some type of hybrid solution.

I see nothing wrong in bringing up the issue of DAW integration and OB when considering the DT vs OT discussion. People just change their approach from time to time.

Also no need for all this stress. It’s a forum. Just read and move on

2 Likes

Precisely.

Setups and goals are usually fluid, so it’s always good to consider more flexible aspects.

1 Like

I hate to be that guy, but if you can make it work, I suggest keeping the ot AND buying the dt.

The dt has so many great qualities. I love how quickly I can sit down and start a groove. It’s the first thing I turn on (unless I just want to make crazy sounds on the iridium). I could get a basic groove in a daw or on my mpc live, but I just gravitate to the dt.

I could do that with my ot, but it doesn’t feel immediate. It feels harder even if is the same number of “clicks” and same amount of time. But once I get going and add another instrument, now I want to manipulate and play with sound on my ot. It becomes a creative tool that goes beyond a sampler and the ability to tweak and play with my ideas makes me drawn to it.

If you just want a sampler, the OT is not for you. And depending on how much you want to play with samples vs an ability to play a decent number of sounds with random trigs and plocks, the dt might not be it either. Mc707 might be for you. It’s quick and easy and has a ton of sounds (including synths) inside of it. If you just want to chop up some samples from vinyl and make something closer to hip hop, the mpc live might be it for you. It’s very fast to take a few bars and chop and rearrange. All these devices have a ton of overlap, and each one has a niche or two that make them stand out as more than just a sampler (which is why I own all of them except a 101 instead of 707 in my case).

4 Likes

It’s weird when you’re just browsing a thread about innocuous stuff, and suddenly you can actually hear text yelling.

Would this be a bad time to talk about song mode?

:wink:

6 Likes

:joy: stokes the fire

I’m gonna use this opportunity to ask a few naive questions about the DT as I’m considering recommending it to someone - and asking here could be much quicker than a search and/or pulling up the manual:

1. please confirm there’s slice mode with up to 128 sample slots like on the OT
  2. Midi tracks have up to 4 notes per step like OT (I know only one lfo per midi track and no midi arp)?
  3. Do I recall correctly - no time divisions or multiplication per track like on the OT?
  1. No
  2. Yes
  3. Track scaling exists on DT
3 Likes

Cheers :+1:. Time scaling is probably more important than slice mode for the bloke in question.

1 Like

Again?

1 Like

:slight_smile:

9 Likes

I’m not positive if it is still the case for OT not to have this but with the 4 note midi DT also let’s you have note tails cross if they didn’t start on the same step, which allows for a bit more natural live recording on a single track of midi. OT I believe cuts your note tails with each new trigger. You can always work around this by using more midi tracks but it’s a bit of a pain imo. This way actually part of my deciding factor when getting a DT but looking back it probably shouldn’t have been, still it is nice if you are looking for a little more jazzy midi sequences.

1 Like

No slice mode but you can easily set different start point on each trig with TRIG+YES previewing the slice to adjust by ear.

I love the filters on the RYTM.

If one is coming from a sort of hipster(and I mean that term positively) SP404/Knobs/Blooper/LoFi music style, the RYTM is a beautiful machine for that. Full spec drum machine, but oodles of filter-on-sample @96 swinging bpm in glorious FX available. (who makes soul free techno these days anyway?)

That’s, for me, where the RYTM excels over the Digitakt. I don’t care too much about the RYTM’s drum machines, it’s the filter quality over samples within the sequencer framework that is brilliant, and puts the RYTM above the DT if you need that real organic melding together of your separate tracks. Which I really like. Totally different genre music makers will get as much and more out of it if they care about the drum synths.

On the OT/DT dilemma, Flexmundo is totally right, the RYTM is more closely the comparator.
Personally - in my ‘scientific’ personal behaviour test of OT vs DT (work travel and what do I more often bring to play with) The DT wins as it comes on more trips that the OT - mainly because it’s quick, smaller and sounds great. I like hardware for tactile immediacy and the DT has the edge there over the OT. You’ll please your ears quicker with just the DT in front of you that the OT; there are less options to delve deeper but a lot available to get a groove going that is far away from your source material. Plus USB in your laptop and start sampling some youtube randomness and within 15 minutes you are in the zone.
You can do that with the OT, only slightly more awkward, and thereafter you have many more options, but by the time you have considered your options on the OT, you are already underway with your 3rd track on the DT and opening your second beer.

Love the OT too, but it is sort of more cerebral and requires a dedication to compose within it and forego the ease of overbridge/DAW 2nd stage meanderings that the DT offers.

5 Likes

Yeah analog filters can certainly help be the glue to a bunch of samples, I will say it’s more an apples and oranges situation on the filters imo though. DT filter actually kind of blows my mind on how transparent it can be while still giving you powerful resonance, like if I make and cool patch with an oberheim SEM filter and then sample it into the DT I still can really reshape the synth sound with the filter with out messing with the character much. Similarly if I sample with an old sampler for character I can then resample to the DT and mess with it, the character still shines through. I guess generally that is not the type of thing people get pumped up about, but it makes it quite versatile. Maybe I am wrong/odd to be impressed by filter transparency though.

2 Likes

I can’t really say if it’s the filter or the sound engine or other part of hardware, but the DT have his own sound. I tried to make the same beat with the same samples on Studio One and on the DT.
Very different vibes.
@mokomo you make me want the RYTM again :slight_smile:

2 Likes

IMO opinion, this is a major plus over the OT’s midi sequencer - not that I’d ditch the OT for it - but for sequencing poly synths, for some purposes it means much more than a “little more jazzy” -

i.e. manually setting sample start point per trig is all that’s available? To avoid confusion, by slice you mean sample?

@bwo & @blaize , thanks for your replies :+1:

I mean for each trig you can PLock a start point and a lenght. Then the killer feature the DT have but not the OT is that you can press on a trig + press on the YES button to hear the sound of this trig (with all enveloppe, FX, filter etc applied to it).
You can then easily make some slice of your sample by setting differents trigs start point and copy them across your track.
Tips: if you have a perfect loop, the start point will be always the same to get the sound of every 8th note (0, 15, 30, 45, 60, 75, 90, 105)

3 Likes

it’s like swaping football for basketball imho. what i did was, i kept octa and bough dt because i free up octa from drum duties and it’s just best combo you can have really, especially for live performance

1 Like

“anything I could fall in love with in under 30 days, I was able to fall out of love with it in just as much time” Totaly agree with this!

1 Like