I’m really thinking time to swap octatrack for digitakt

if the digi makes more sense to you then go for it I say.
I find with the OT it can take a bit of time for its UI and processes to sink in.
for example I took a year off the OT went to digitakt, then after abkit 6 months to a year later I sort of twigged how to really use the OT and it was easy all of a sudden.

whereas when I was previously using and learning the OT it felt a bit overwhelming and convoluted.

ultimately, live resampling, neighbour tracks, all the lfo’s, n crossfader can be so damn good. but it takes time to properly sink in. spending time away from it can be a good thing.

2 Likes

I miss the live resampling on the OT when I use ableton. Slices and timestretching would be nice to have on the DT. Though the timestretching on the OT is a bit long in the tooth.

There’s probably a few other things I can’t think of right now, but mostly it would be stuff related to live performance anyways.

The DT is so much fun, just be a bit selective about what gets to live in that stingy memory

maybe:
OT = Blue Butterflies
DT = Mitsubishis
I only say this as I helped some Italians guys get over the wall at Glastonbury many moons ago and they gave me a bag with both. They had been travelling around Europe before Glasto and I hadn’t heard of either (at the time).
I would recommend the Blue Butterflies, even though I never saw them again…

1 Like

Sure, just like that

Well that’s good to know. I get why it would be jumpy only capturing one CC value perstep and not an actual live recording of the values within that time line, unless there is a way to record multiple value’s within the micro-timing of each second, like CC value’s per tenth of a second, rather than a whole second, but eh? I just record what I’m doing and I can always go back and overdub. But yeah, that fader is probably one thing the OT will always have keeping on it over the DT.

Possible to record with midi loopback, with step limitation. Interesting, but it obviously wouldn’t work for scratch. Resampling, lfos.

3 Likes

With all the respect but the DT is a simpler version of the OT.
Yeah sure limitations can be nice but also 3 LFO, 2fX,neighbour track, crossfader, slice etc etc are nice.
I would never trade a simpler machine for a deeper one, sure DT might be faster but wait till you master the OT, which probably take 2/3 years meanwhile you find so many awesomeness that you can’t live without it.
I used a bit the DT and sure it’s better on certain aspects like browsing but how much time you spend browsing anyway? In the end I always felt I was missing something where with the OT I always learn something new.

1 Like

I have endless LFOs I use on my DT from Reaktor Blocks. Hell…I use em on the OT as well :slight_smile:

2 Likes

WTF Meta!!

I have tried both and ended up with OT MK2. Love the cross fader and possible options of slicing samples and remixing plus the arranger and scenes are fantastic. Digitakt is great since I think it has Overbridge which sadly the OT lacks and smaller form factor is great for tight spaces at live shows.

1 Like

The DT 8 tracks out via OB is a very powerfull tool for production. OT is deeper than DT but DT + Computer is deeper than OT. OT is for performances, DT for production. That’s how I see the thing.

5 Likes

The funny thing about this discussion is that in all honestly, the Rytm is most similar to the Digitakt, but everyone likes comparing the DT to the OT. The Rytm literally has like 90% of the Digitakt baked into it (they even copied the visuals recently). Regarding external MIDI control, OT and DT are quite similar, but when it comes to sequencing samples, the Rytm is basically DT+.

So if anyone is feeling like the OT is a bit too complex and weird, but feel that the DT is a bit simple, the Rytm is a good middle ground, even if you just plan to work with samples.

The biggest added benefits being song mode(!), performances/scenes, accent/swing/slides, kits, chokes, and some neat alternative sequencer options (sequential, direct, jump, temp jump).

5 Likes

The RYTM look pretty awsome but the biggest drawback for me is the price. I don’t need analog drum and when you buy the RYTM, a large part of the price is for this feature.

3 Likes

Yeah I think the biggest difference in the sample engine is how the start end loop points are managed. Digitakt has more granularity, where the model samples treats this area more like the rytm and is great for working velocity into the equation. So it can be a bit weird, I would say if you’re looking to do some light mangling DT would be a bit deeper than the Rtym as a sampler. But then pretty much all the other features are deeper on the Rtym.

No matter what someone gets there are trade offs, you can’t fully recreate any elektron box on a different elektron box.

1 Like

Very true! It is Elektron’s most expensive machine, and probably costs a bit too much for most home studios to prioritize getting (money would probably be best served going into monitors, computer, DAW, multiple synths, etc.). But for those that gotta have song mode or whatnot, it is a possible solution, just an expensive one.

3 Likes

We’re comparing OT and DT.
If I follow your way of thinking I should say none of them because my pc has more memory, more modulation, more of everything so at that point the discussion doesn’t make any sense.
Yeah we get it your computer can do many things and I understand why you use it, I don’t understand why you buy an OT and a DT or why you bring the computer in the discussion. At that point I’ll spend those money in some fancy controller and better parts for my pc.

There are different reason why people buy hardware, mainly is to don’t use a computer so the fact your Reaktor Block has infinite LFO is useless to me and it doesn’t help the OTvsDT discussion.

Dude IMVHO it’s fine to drop a comment in that is peripheral. The op was talking about OT vs DT but this whole forum is about sharing knowledge and sparking ideas. It’s not deserving of smack down I don’t think.

• to return to topic - if you don’t find yourself using the OT and don’t plan on investing more time then I personally trade up (but that’s just me and I don’t like having things around that I don’t use) The DT is mad fun and fast and really quick to learn. To me it strikes the perfect balance of depth and usability. I just acquired the OT myself and am about to start finding my workflow with it. I want to go deeper into the sound design aspect and the OT has a bigger arsenal of tools to twist and morph samples into new territories. The DT will be my beats machine alongside it.
4 Likes

cuz I use what I got…I don’t covet things I dont have. or wish they made a machine to my spec. some of the coolest shit has come from finding diff ways to do stuff [not from me, but from real musicians]

its called making do. and its fun. you dont have to have fun if you dont want man.
struggle on…

adding: thats actually false :slight_smile: I do want some other gear. when I get some money or a job. but I take a box for what it is. and werk with it any way I can or want to.
I was just suggesting if you feel limited in the LFO Dept, you dont have to be, and someone who doesn’t have the bucks for an OT, can do crazy shit on a DT. both boxes are super cool. and can go farther/[further?] if you want em to, with a little help

5 Likes

What’s the point of making different post then?
I understand your point but one of the main reason why I don’t use gearslutz forum is because I spent too much time scrolling comments that are not related to the post.

If I want to see an OTvsDT discussion I don’t want see suggestions outside that otherwise I would make/search “alternative to the OT/DT”

I’m not saying is suggestion is bad, it’s actually nice but I found useless if I want decide beetween OT and DT. Of course the op could find that useful but overall we comment also to help other people.

1 Like

there are still more outstanding differences, like scenes, and the fader, fewer octaves…etc etc.
but modulation doesnt need to be one.

and if you are opposed to computer, then you can use modular or use the OT on the DT :slight_smile: if you got the bucks.