I’m having a hard time deciding which gear to buy…

So I want to buy a live performance machine but I’m still not sure which one.

It will be either the Digitakt, the Deluge, the op-z or the Zoia.

I’m looking for something that I could maybe integrate with my other gear (OP-1, M32 Midi keyboard, KP3 and a PO-35) but also use as a stand-alone unit.

The Digitakt is quite good! What I really like about it, is the happy accidents and the ability to shape a sound into a completely different one. It also features a great potential for Midi sequencing. Sadly it’s not portable.

The Deluge is a DAWless powerhouse. It has a synth, sampler, sequencer and much more! It’s portable and it has a lot of connectivity to the outside world. But I think I when it comes to live performance and mangling the sound live it doesn’t go in as deep as the Digitakt… (improve me if I’m wrong)

I really like to experiment and twist my sound. And it’s the most expensive item in my list.

The op-z is super small and lightweight which is probably the best thing I like about it. But I think it’s just too similar to the OP-1 from a sound point of view. I would also need to buy the OPlab module to have advanced external midi sequencing which is ridiculously expensive (not to mention the z itself).

And lastly, the Zoia which just recently came into my list. I really like all the things you can do with it and the modular interface lets you experiment quite a lot! But when it comes to live sequencing it’s probably not the perfect device, still with live looping and other stuff it’s quite a powerful piece of gear. I even had the idea to maybe buy the Zoia and the Digitakt to let them work together but I’m not too sure about that…

Also owning a Zoia would make my KP3 redundant, right?

So I’m quite in a dilemma here… Every time I watch a new video about one of the instruments, I change my mind…

But what do you guys think would fit me the most?

1 Like

Indeed. You seem to have no idea what to buy, because you have no idea what you need or even want.

What, if anything, is missing from your music that you can’t get from your current gear?

10 Likes

Octatrack.

5 Likes

I didn’t think the Digitakt was geared for live performance?

I don’t know much about the Deluge but it seems legit.

It really depends on what all you want to do but you’ll run into CPU limits on the Zoia trying to emulate those other boxes. But with all those other boxes you have you can go far with a Zoia.

The answer as always is Octatrack :wink:

1 Like

Sounds like you need an octatrack.

2 Likes

I haven’t read the whole thread did someone already mention the OT?

4 Likes

Goddammit…:joy::joy: somehow I knew the OT would come up. I like it quite a lot. I really do.
But is it worth 1300$?

Objectively yes but subjectively we have no idea.

Used is cheaper, mki cheaper still.

1 Like

You can do a lot of thing just with a digitakt. I have just a DT and I get a lot of fun. You can make a full track only with DT. There is also an hack to implement a battery, or you can buy an external battery for portability.

2 Likes

I feel like I would be missing something out if I buy the OT mki, or is that just me?

Warranty for one. A few less button combos. Idk there are people around who swear by the mkii but for the price difference, i personally am not sure.

Im also particular to the dark trinity. Beige trinity doesn’t quite carry the same ring :wink:

1 Like

Not really? Two very different FX units, and the KP3 has the whole XY pad thing going for it, too.

4 Likes

I am one who swears by the Mk2! Reasonably qualified having owned a Mk1 over 4 (maybe 5) stints up until getting a Mk2 18 months or so ago.

On paper, the changes aren’t significant. I’ll admit that. But in practice I fly round the Mk2 in comparison to how I was with the Mk1. The improvements are subtle but significant in my opinion.

So yeah, get an Octatrack :joy:

1 Like

This.

I think you have to use the equipment you have. Wait two months. Or four. Or year. Then you may know what you want to buy.

If you want to buy something now then I recommend OT. Mk I or mk II, it doesn’t matter much.

3 Likes

It’s not in the Octatrack’s league at all, but the Digitakt works quite well for live performance IMO – it’s pretty hands on, especially with stuff like Ctrl-all. that said I agree that the OP should consider an OT for their use-case.

3 Likes

the key is to stop watching videos :wink:
but I know this can be hard

9 Likes

so I just went on eBay and some sell their OT for a pretty good price!
It’s 1090 ish $ for the MkII and 670 for the MkI.

Octatrack is my mantra, Octatrack is my base.
It can do all, even synthsize sounds (single cycle wave fake galore, but with more modulations and fx than the digitakt!), but you can plug real ones into it too.
It’s perfect if you want to stick any other gear into it, but you can use it alone too.

For me it’s the perfect backbone, because it does not need an internet connection and updates.

5 Likes

Octatrack is :fire: and :heart: It does so many things for me, and replaces a lot of gear in a compact box of magic. In @Hexacore300 case, another use would be setting it so that muted tracks are sent to the cue out, which could feed the KP3 for real time, on-the-fly FX fuckery.

But I think they need to really sit down and figure out what they want and need. They listed so many things that are somewhat similar, but very different. If mangling/experimenting/FSU’ing is the order of the day, the Octatrack is hard to beat, though.

1 Like

Exactly! Less videos, more listening to music and spending some quality time in nature.

5 Likes