I’m a new member here. Hi!

I just created an account. My name is Ross, but my username is summerrage, I tried to be creative with it.

I have been looking for my first synthesizer, I have narrowed it down to these choices: Korg MS20 Mini, Minilogue Bass (I admit I like that one for the color scheme, and still think the Korg Mini would be the better choice, or Yamaha DX9. I’m still saving up my money for a synth, but have been looking for a synth forum to narrow my search, talk about music, and when I get my synth I will talk about synths with you all!

I like 1980s synth pop, like New Order, Duran Duran, and Talk Talk, but also like dark synth wave like Nine Inch Nails and Depeche Mode. I have played piano and guitar for a long time, and a synthesizer could be new territory for me, but I got the synthesizer itch recently!

Thanks for having me here!

Ross

25 Likes

You’ll need to make a few tough initial decisions.

Besides target budget,

1. One played-note at a time (mono synth) or more (eg chords)
  2. Versatility (wide range of different sounds) or variation on a similar sound
  • do you want ‘synthy’ sounds only, if so leads, bass, pads etc, or do you want pianos, strings, drums
  1. Physical size (portability, stage, home studio desk size)
  2. Interface (lots of knobs/less menus or few knobs/screen/menus)
  3. Has a keyboard built-in (if so how many keys and are they mini or larger) or is a module
  4. You try using a computer first with virtual synths and a midi controller to get a better idea of what physical synth you might buy and also get familiar with the world of DAWs (ability to record and edit music on a computer - how are you planning to record your music?)

I’d make one synth buying decision for you: spend €/£/$ 400 max, buy second hand, get something your research shows is a well regarded device that you can resell without much of a loss.

7 Likes

I’ll had a few points:

1. Keys vs. sequencer: you may use a synth like a piano, after having programmed your patches, or you may have fun tweaking the sounds while the sequence is playing.

2. Pluritimbrality: are you ok with 1 synth = 1 sound character, or do you want to be able to have at least two different sounds?

Korg Minilogue is a good synth to learn synthesis. So is the SH-01a.

To me, a hardware synth was way better than software to learn synthesis, I needed the physical interface.

I found Ableton tutorials pretty straightforward btw:

6 Likes

Howdy

1 Like

Welcome! I’d recommend a Minilogue XD for a first synth that can do a lot and has a sequencer… or if you want to dive head-first into the Elektron world and be able to create full compositions on one synth, a Digitone.

2 Likes

I appreciate all the suggestions, but I have decided on the Korg ms20 mini for my first synth. I have been reading good reviews about it, it’s analogue, and monophonic - the monophonic will be a learning curve for me because my piano keyboard is polyphonic, but I’m interested in making 80s synth pop music, and the occasional darkwave synth too

3 Likes

Great choice, very interesting characterful synth

You look ever so much like Morrissey! Bet you hear that all the time.

Hello and welcome!

Welcome!

I would recommend going to a local music store to demo any available synthesizers if you can (and support your local store in the process).

Since you have played the piano you probably want full size keys or get a good controller keyboard to control other hardware and software synthesizers.

Hey there pal!
Lots of great advice above. One thing I’d recommend is staying away from the DX series for now. The interface can be real off putting for new users, as FM programming in the 80s and 90s was mostly criptic and only the most brave and daring could program them. One of the reasons so many hit songs used their presets because they were all the rage, and not many people knew how to manipulate the sounds.
A Digitone is a great shout if you have to have that FM sound. It simplifies the programming process, is multi-timbral (it’s like having four synths in one) and is easy to connect to a DAW and or other synths/midi controllers.
You can also use it as an audio interface if needed, and has an external fx section you can add to other things instruments you plug into it.

1 Like

i would 100% recommend the minilogue to anyone for a first synth

the automatic gainsay videos on it are generously detailed and will teach you everything you need to know in an accessible and unpretentious way

the user interface is inviting / the build quality is sturdy / the engineering is thoughtful- it’s a legitimately beautiful instrument

it’s also super fun

I have the K2, which is a Behringer clone of the MS20. Maybe watch this guy’s tutorials. Here are a few, but there are more. The MS20 is a bit odd in the way it’s set up, but this will help unravel some of that, and he has quite a few videos on patches that you can learn from.

The one bit of warning I would give for the MS20 is that it’s a very aggressive sounding synth rather than a smooth sounding synth, just make sure that’s what you are after. Sounds like it might be a good match for the styles you like though.

I would recommend adding effects and the cheapest way I can think of for pretty good reverbs and delays is the Korg NTS-1. Effects will add a lot.

You might also want to consider the Korg SQ-1 sequencer to go with it as a cheap way to experiment with basic step sequencing.

1 Like

An MS20 is a great choice IMO, but you’ll want to spend as much time as possible getting to know it. They’re a surprisingly deep synth with a lot of sonic possibility, and you can jack your guitar in for even more mayhem. We used to end most studio settings with the MS20, a tape delay and a load of pedals just making noises to layer, and had a ton of fun doing it.

Welcome to the best forum for music tech!

2 Likes