I just released an album created by a.i

Brian Eno has some good thoughts about this:

4 Likes

I am bummed people are using AI to make music. Thatā€™s really all I have to say about the matter. Music is supposed to be a personal art form. How AI fits into that picture, I donā€™t really understand.

8 Likes

How much input and control did you have over the creation. Is it just a small prompt. Can you provide an exampleā€¦?

Iā€™m not against technological progress, and many forms of AI interest me. But for me, the joy is in the actual creating and control I have, giving my hands something to do. Iā€™m not sure that using AI prompts could ever satisfy me in the same way.

shat gpt.

6 Likes

with the @ in front I canā€™t help but read both usernames as sneezes.

10 Likes

Ha!

3 Likes

Regret hitting play on that. Whatā€™s the point in rewarding this kind of laziness?

1 Like

:popcorn: :drooling_face:

1 Like

AI is actually pretty vast a field, not sure everyone knows what it covers.

Ɔ doing self generated music can be classified as AI.
Using Synplant 2 that generates a patch from a sample? AI.

Using deep learning / generative transformers can be done with your own samples, your own loops.
There is of course room for choices between the generative process and what is released. Other choices even before the generation.
Only exploring the possibilities of AI is in itself an intention.

Damn, Iā€™m advocating for AI generated content while I dislike the idea too.
But yeah, these very uniform judgement, with obviously not all the cards in hand (we have no clue about the process) nor a broad knowledge of the technical subject itself, makes me feel like we might be blind a bit.
Throwing stonesā€¦

5 Likes

Wow that are some heavy replies! Well, to be expected I guess. Thanks anyway. Of course, itā€™s a bit of scary ride. I just figured weā€™re on this road wether we like it or not, so better try to figure out how to use the tools instead of only hating on them. I will not go into every comment at this point, but I can elaborate a bit further later if desired.

However about the pricingā€¦ the streaming is free of course. I put a price on the downloads (like is usual at bandcamp) because if I would put it free it felt like I was undervaluing other music. Itā€™s a bit of tough one. If you have any informed opinion on this I will take it in consideration.

4 Likes

:rofl::rofl:

1 Like

This is different in my opinion as you are leveraging it as a tool, like an arpeggiator or probability etc. For me personally aside from for novelty factor, there is no interest in doing this though, but I donā€™t have a problem with artists using it in this way.

2 Likes

How about we stop calling all of it the same? Synplant is machine learning. Thereā€™s no Ai anyway, it doesnā€™t exist. There needs to be a better name for the scammy, generative, one prompt, a click and is done crap kind of thing people call ā€œaiā€ (:roll_eyes:TM, say it with the wojak thatā€™s missing the brain voice).

Synplant will not make a song you can call your own without you putting in the work to turn that patch into a song. Iā€™m fine with that, i want to get synplant myself. Thatā€™s a tool.

5 Likes

The correct term for AI generated media is GenAI.

Its different than a workflow enhancement or whatnot.

It helps to know these terms so you can be precise in your arguments

1 Like

your example on Soundcloud clearly scares meā€¦ because I forget that AI is not the problem, it is in fact those who benefit from it and how to the detriment of other good souls they live from their labors and their ideas. Seen from this angle it is obviously indefensible! because if this famous track no. 2 which reminds me of my jams on my OT ultimately turns out to be one of my jams lol, itā€™s less funny, but it doesnā€™t take me two days to do that! ā€¦

2 Likes

Shouldnā€™t even have ā€œaiā€ in itā€™s name though. Lies are lies are lies.

1 Like

Hey now, relaxā€¦the ALBUM took 2 days, that track was made in a fraction of that time :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Iā€™ll answer this shortly because there are a lot of assumptions being made on this topic.

The whole creative skill that comes into play is done through prompting and curation of course. You start with generating ideas through the prompt you came up with. Then you curate what you find interesting to further explore and then you start to build on the original idea with new prompts. The ā€˜Makhaniā€™ track for instance goes from 70ā€™s bollywood to a country song the end. There is a lot of routes you can take.

I come from a sampling background. I donā€™t like to loop one part of a song and call it a day, so I didnt do that here either. Otherwise I wouldnt have presented it like this.

4 Likes
2 Likes

This sentimentā€¦I despise thisā€¦

Humanity means nothing. If art was the last vestige of what it means to exist, to experience, and to express- eh, the machines can do all of that quicker. Who are any of us to stop this? Letā€™s just lay ourselves off from our passions so we can have more time for data entry and digging ditches- the apparent true purpose of humanity

10 Likes