I have the dumbest question about setting MIDI in

Got my models: cycles today. I see in the manual:
12.3 MIDI
In this menu, you find various sub-menus dealing with the MIDI functionality of Model:Cycles.

Where is god’s name is this menu? How do I get to it?

I picked up a NDLR and want to use the multi-timbrality of the models: cycles and play around. I feel like the dumbest person to pick this thing up and not do the most basic thing.

1 Like

Hit the “wrench” button below the screen to get into the config/menu system, then use the blue knob (upper left) to scroll through pages. Click the blue button in to dive into a menu. MIDI menu should be the third or fourth one in?

2 Likes

I knew I was doing something dumb.
Thank you.

1 Like

No problem! If it’s any consolation, I find myself forgetting how to get the system config menus myself all the time, and I’ve had this thing for a few months :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

On an related/unrelated note, you should share how it works out using NDLR with M:C. I’m somewhat interested in adding a dedicated arp, so it would be great to see how it works for you.

2 Likes

Now that I have it working - it’s working like I expect. I still need to get some more familiarity, but the tones sound great. I still have 2 tracks for working in beats. All those knobs are fun to morph and warp the sounds while it’s playing, and it never sounds repetitive when I’m hitting buttons on the NDLR to change chords.
I’ll probably add a cheap Volca to the mix and work in my ancient EA-1 - which has been pretty good to mess around with (though not great for pads or drones).
I’ve seen people add lots of expensive monosynths to the NDLR, but the models:cycles seems like a perfect match for the NDLR - at least for the price point.

2 Likes

Hi,

I have a related question. As the model:cycles is only monophonic, does this make the drone and pad parts of the ndlr almost unusable?

Or am I totally wrong? How does the pads part of the ndlr work with the chords machine on the cycles?

New notes from the NDLR (or any sequencer) on the same midi channel will cut off old ones

1 Like

I haven’t had much time to play with it, but I hear you can get an Ableton plugin that makes the models: cycles polyphonic. It’ll cut into the parts, but if you can strum 3 of the tracks for pads, the others should be available for everything else.

1 Like

There is no such thing as a dum…nevermind.

Joking of course. One thing I like about this place is the eagerness to help shown by our friends from across the globe.

1 Like

I did figure something out. You can more easily do this… just poly chain the pad and use the multi-timbrality of the models: cycles to basically make it polyphonic.

Yeah I’m gonna experiment with this tonight. I’ve found that if I play the Pad on one m:c track that I have to set the range to 7 notes…or else all the chords don’t play. If set to say 4, only I, II, V, VII play and the others (III, IV, VI) just repeat these.

So I’m gonna try polychain over 2 m:c tracks and set the range to 14. I’ll see what happens and report back.