I have a confession (genre rant)

if there’s no kick for 2 hours it’s trance bro.

1 Like

trance is 2 hours of kick only

4 Likes

I’m only here for the cat

1 Like

I only listen to the ghost notes. it’s called selective hearing.

2 Likes

I thought that was witch house

3 Likes

YOULL NEVER BE ABLE TO PROVE IT

But seriously though I am honored! I know we’ve talked about this privately and I’ve probably mentioned it on the forum too but the whole reason I bought the PO12 (the cheaper Pocket Operator drum machine) about a year before the virus hit was specifically to get back to making hip hop beats after totally failing at it in the 90s. Somehow a bunch of four on the floor stuff started instantly coming out of me. I really don’t know why and I was a little weirded out by it at first. Having zero depth in the genre I was and still am a little hesitant to declare any of it techno. Then I showed up at this place and was exposed to so much techno that I too started finding plenty of it that I liked. This thread here: The improvised techno thread really got me going and wanting to dig deeper and is the place where I discovered Surgeon. What can I say? I just like the cut of this dude’s jib all the way around. His music, his interviews, his friends, all of it. I’ll link the video that really got me going below. Now for every hip hopish beat I make I must make three or more technoish beats. And I’m still hesitant to label anything I ever do as any specific genre because I rarely in any context ever feel like I know what I’m even doing 100%. Which is a feeling I appreciate and hope stays with me forever.

No dude! You keep the nutsacks.

Anyways great thread! Now here goes that Surgeon video that I love so much:

Also this one was a bit of an eye opener/GAS reducer:

Rewatching the latter right now :0)

8 Likes

BTW, my version of Surgeon’s little setup above for my next gig on June 3rd is going to be a Digitakt, Micromonsta 2, possibly EC4, and Bluebox. I do have a Boum but since I’ve never played this venue I want a device with a headphone jack at end of chain in case the monitors are bullshit.

1 Like

this is like an anti hip hop album title if I’ve ever heard one. like some kind of neurotic aquaphobic always going to the doctor to look at his bee-hind wears latex gloves to remove his facemask counter-rap legend.

I resemble that remark!

1 Like

Digitone plus AH is my version of the surgeon mobile setup

1 Like

Altai/Tuvan/Mongolian throat singing is full of amazing shit, Huun Huur Tu and Altai Kai are incredible.

Edit: I always felt techno was modern folk music, not made for fame or adulation but functional music for dance that can also be very beautiful. I’ve always said that if you’re into electronic music and you’re not into techno, it’s just because you haven’t found your techno yet :heart:

9 Likes

I’ve even dabbled in witch house with one of my remixes last year… not sure about the ghost notes tho… :wink:

2 Likes

I got to see Huun Huur Tu live back in 2001 in Chicago. They did a live score to “Storm Over Asia” (which I think was the first soviet movie ever). They were amazing!

2 Likes

I actually really like Huun Huur Tu and was mostly joking about not liking Turvan Throat Music. Mostly.

2 Likes

I spent a month in Mongolia, a fair bit of it driving around with local music getting blasted by the drivers, and that is a brutally good language for rap music.

3 Likes

I couldn’t take the risk :sweat_smile:

You are a brave and noble warrior and I appreciate your service.

1 Like

OVER AND OVER and over

1 Like

Did I say this? :rofl:

And he’s strongly Christian too. There are no rules in techno.

1 Like