I got Rytm - 1st Impression

So, I’ve had every Elektron machine since Sidstation, was a beta tester for Sidstation, MnM, OT, A4.

When the Rytm came out I wasn’t blown away by the sounds of the analog engine, so I held off from getting one, also I was happy with the drum sounds possible on the A4, and I don’t really care much for finger drumming/pads, Rytm it seemed would be the first Elekton machine that I would not own.

Anyway, lately I have been thinking about the sample engine aspect of Rym, and thought that this coupled with the analog filters might actually be interesting after all, and a buddy offered one for sale at a decent price so I thought I’d take a punt. So here is a quick first impression for anyone who might be thinking of getting one.

Pads - a lot smaller than I expected, also the response seems a bit lacking, I have not found out yet how or if it is possible to change this.

Analog Machines - The kicks are quite punchy, although it seems that they are better at harder 909ish sounds than smooth 808/CR type sounds. The snares seem a little more versatile, seem quite Simmons influenced. Rimshot is not too bad at all, quite a lot of other sounds are possible, especially with the FM snare. Clap is ok, I’d prefer more useful parameters though like a ClapTrap or Tama clap, some of the parameters and their ranges yield some not very useful sounds. Toms again seem quite Simmons, bit basic. Hats are ok but not very versatile, you can only really get a small amount of variation due to only having 3 parameters, and the sound is based on multiple squarewaves, no noise source, and the oscillator frequencies are not individually tunable, a shame. The Cymbal is very similar but with an extra tone parameter, a bit limited. Cowbell is again only 3 parameters, yeah it does a good 808 cowbell, a very simple 2 squarewave sound, it would be a lot better if the waveshape of the oscillators was variable, and if they each had their own tuning control.

Overall I am not that impressed with the analog machines, they are not bad but do not allow for anywhere near the depth of the A4 or MD for drum synthesis.

Sample section - Not bad, the BR parameter is a bit of a gimmick, I think I’d prefer SRR though.

Filter - I really like the filter section, both the sound and variety.

Amp - Very similar to A4, the overdrive is good for adding bite to the analog engine, although most of the sensible/useful range is in the first 1/3rd of the rotation.

LFO - Not too bad at all, 1 for synth part 1 for fx, I’d have preffered them to be freely assignable

FX - Not delved into them too much yet, the delay seems fine, the reverb seems ok if a bit limited (no gate, or freeze yet a spare parameter) distortion is ok, but would benefit from tone controls or filters (again unused knobs) Compressor seems to be fairly well thought out.

Sequencer - Typical Elektron, some nice touches like the various trig options which allow for individual aspects (syn, samp, env, LFO) to be turned on/off, the advance scale mode still has individual track lengths but still with the crippling idea of instead of say 2 pages of 12 steps you get one of 16 and another of 8, no musical reason for that at all.

Pad modes - These are great, lots of choices to inject some mojo into a performance and generally manipulate the sequences/sounds. Also I think the way that scenes and perf modes are assigned is quite nice and simple.
Sound quality - Getting some strange background noise a bit like a water boiler, not sure of the source of it yet, so far I have only been listening directly to the Rytm on headphones.

I have had about 3 hours of playing with it, so this is very much just a first impression, the OS feels like it needs some work, not enough analog machines, and not enough tonal variation and parameters for the analog machines, the sound quality of them seems to favor cold and hard rather than warm and smooth, it almost sounds digital to me at the moment, although it could be ear fatigue from the headphones and lack of time spent with it. The filters, samples and pad modes are, at the moment what are keeping my interest, it does seem that it is more than just a drum machine, but maybe not as good a drum machine as it could be. Yet?

That’s a great analysis/breakdown. I owned a RYTM when they first came out, but replaced it with a Tempest because I wasn’t too happy with the analog drums. I came full circle though because I desired a box to play back samples. I had to choose between the RYTM and the Octatrack. I ultimately went with the Octatrack, and am waiting for it to arrive. I’d be curious to hear how your relationship with the RYTM develops, seeing you also own the Octatrack. Will you be playing more samples from the RYTM to process them through those nice analog filters and overdrive? I want to know if the role the Octatrack plays for you diminishes at all.

For me “cold and hard rather than warm and smooth” is a good summing up of the Elektron sound. Thanks for the overview, its funny how many users seem to dislike the hihat sounds of the Rytm, I felt they were also a weakness of the MD.

Lovely writeup and analysis.

Yes, very well-written!

I think I’m one of the few who actually likes the hi hats on the Rytm. They’re on the… softer side vs some other boxes and for me they just work well. I’d love to see added machine types though that offer more variety, of course.

On that note, I wholeheartedly agree that nearly all of the internal machines could use some expansion in one way or another.

I own several synths, including the MM and A4 so I’m not one of those folks screaming from the mountaintop that the Rytm needs at least one true melodic synth machine – BUT – I must admit that it’s curious that the Rytm lacks a dedicated bass/lead machine. After all, the A4 can easily produce fantastic drums, and like you said Daren, arguably better than those of the Rytm (which is, in itself, pretty odd). Why wouldn’t the reverse be true? Of course, single-cycle waveforms can be used to that end, but a dedicated analog machine that isn’t so narrowly-focused would seem to be an enticing option for a lot of folks.

Regarding the 909 kicks, I agree completely. I was also looking for a wider palette from the BD machines that broke free of that hard-knocking 909 vibe. From reading about it online before I bought, I already knew that the BT can be used for a very nice, boomy 808 approximation, but still, a broader range of sounds from the BD options just makes sense.

I am happy with the Rytm as is, and for now I don’t see anything outside of Elektron that does what I want from a drum machine, better. That said, I am hoping that it gets a big update in the future that adds a lot of the functionality that so many folks are looking for. And it seems like the space and ability to do so are there, just waiting to be unlocked down the road.

3 Likes

oh man, really on the fence about the Rytm, trying to stay away from ebay before i do something potentially rash and stupid.

i have an OT and Analog Keys. I’m basically using the OT as a drum machine with drum hit samples, and layering analog drums on the keys, as well as using the keyboard for sequences and modular control. The OT has been a big workflow killer with recording an arranging. I’ve thought the Rytm would be a bit redundant in my setup, but lately i’ve been thinking it would let me streamline things quite a bit, especially with Overbridge coming out.

I had the Tempest for a bit, and didn’t click with it. Would the Rytm be overkill?

Thanks, nice to have someone with experience and skill make a report
having to sift thru the n00b or fanboi reports wears thin.

I prefer precise synthesis to tailor my sounds, so I cant see myself getting one unless it lands in my lap (like it did for you)
or they really upgrade the analog engines (which is highly unlikely)

Look foward to hearing some of your output.

1 Like

thanks for your usual insightful comments, daren. will be interested in a followup after you’ve had more time with it.

Your Druma soundset is one of the main reasons I haven’t bought the Rytm.

I was about to buy the Rytm but after getting Druma and tweaking it little bit to my liking, I liked the sounds I was getting out of the A4/Druma combo better when I compared it side by side with my buddy’s Rytm .

The compressor was nice but I thought it was bit odd that Elektron would make a analog drum machine that didn’t sound as good as drum sounds from their analog synth.

yes, really great review.

Have nearly the same feelings after one year.

toms could do some smoother 808 sound, but yeah, still right about the ear fatigue.

That’s exactly what i noticed the first time i turned my Rytm on :slight_smile: I expected smooth and round Bassdrums with a solid “boom” in the bottom end but was quite disappointed that even the Classic machine cant deliver this sound.

But you should definitely check out the Basetom mate. This is the real Bassdrum of the Rytm in my opinion. It has plenty of lowend and it is soft and smooth, you can add a click and the 808 Kick is there :slight_smile: Still a shame though that the actual bassdrums are close to useless if you want to produce modern electronic music … :thinking:

Thanks for this review. I had a doubt between A4 or Rytm, now the doubt has disappeared.

Nice and use full post

Been testing the Rytm for the first time mid last year, wasn’t overly impressed with the analog machines either and skipped it for then.

Now i got me one 3 months ago and i must admit even if it’s not perfect it comes very close to the ultimate (analog) drummachine.

I owned several bits over the years (e.g. DSI Tempest, Vermona DRM1Mk3, XBase 09 & 888) and they all lacked something, be it in terms of workflow or flexibility (or sound).

But i think (at least from what i experienced until now) you can tweak it (even the limited hihats for example) into several different directions (thanks to the filter and sample options), which i didn’t experience with most of the other drummachines i owned.

Though Tempest was similar in that terms, you had to have a very clear idea before you started or you easily got lost (which can be great but is not always).
What i like about the Rytm is that it gives you an instant usable drum-kit when you turn it on and initialize your Kit but then gives you the option to go wild if you like to.
Tempest was always going wild in the first for me (which is really not bad and funny as nearly all i did with it the time i owned was released later on).

But just having some good sounding basic drums ready in a second is highly valuable for me nowadays.
Exactly this was also great with the Vermona DRM1Mk3 though having used it for 7 years i felt i wanted to move on from there - and actually the DRM1Mk3 was and is very limited in how it can sound and usually needed some postproduction and /or more additional drums to complete, nonetheless a good companion.

With the XBase (for me) it was always a bit too much of the good, always sounded a little too fat (yes that is possible) and too punchy.
And the workflow, well yea, skip that… :wink:

So now the Rytm somehow easily combines all the good bits of nearly all the drummachines i was allowed to use (maybe except the complete madness the Tempest could produce but you can also get that elsewhere)

So the Rytm can go wild (as the Tempest), has a good basic usable drum-set (as the DRM1Mk3) and can sound pretty fat & punchy (but it doesn’t always have to and that’s the good difference to the XBases).

And on top you can include your own samples in a usable way (though it could be better but having imported samples to the Xbase 888 which is a pain in the ass this is really hands on already as it is).

So far, hope that’s useful to somebody :slight_smile:

2 Likes

good post daren! keep em coming … I do own a rytm and the rest of the family … must say I cant add anything decent… maybe that you havent adressed the compressor (maybe I overread that)

mixed feelings with the AR for me. i got one when it first came out and since then i’ve been playing with it almost daily but:

• i think it still lacks of something, i usually find myself having to use a sample together with the drums to get something ‘different’ out of it
  • the firmware is pretty much young and not all the features (at least those Elektron has on the list) are there yet, which makes things a bit ‘repetitive’ sometimes
  • after almost a good year of use, the pads are now starting to get more ‘responsive’ (if that’s the way to describe it), not as stiff as they used to be but still, different texture from other pads

i do agree with what darenager says, especially with the last part of his post and actually, in the past few weeks i’ve been thinking about an alternative to the AR (as discussed on the IRC channel :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ) and even if he’s had the machine for not so long, his view doesn’t deviate much from mine after having had the machine for almost a year now. i would also add that i was a bit disappointed in finding out that the gain of the external analog input can’t be adjusted and goes straight into the compressor and that’s it (not even passing throughout the filters/effects… :disappointed: ) not as much as per other few things that aren’t in the firmware yet

overall i think the AR is a good analog drum machine but still needs to grow and as it stands now, it really comes down to what you want from it and how you’re going to use it and if you are up for waiting before new OS updates will popup (OB will surely give plenty options but mh…i don’t want a computer [again] in my music-chain so…) then it’s fine, otherwise i believe there’re alternatives out there that do the same job already

I don’t think a firmware update is going to change the nature of the AR sound - they may add a few extra controls on existing machines, perhaps the missing ring-mod kick, some sequencer features, but I wouldn’t expect any drastic departure from the current sound.

That’s exactly what i noticed the first time i turned my Rytm on :slight_smile: I expected smooth and round Bassdrums with a solid “boom” in the bottom end but was quite disappointed that even the Classic machine cant deliver this sound.

But you should definitely check out the Basetom mate. This is the real Bassdrum of the Rytm in my opinion. It has plenty of lowend and it is soft and smooth, you can add a click and the 808 Kick is there :slight_smile: Still a shame though that the actual bassdrums are close to useless if you want to produce modern electronic music … :thinking: [/quote]
Are you serious? You can get cutting edge kicks out of the Hard Bassdrum machine… Definitely sounds modern to me, are we using the same Rytm? It’s like a mix between the 909/808 kick and then so much more! I get massive lowend/bass out of the Hard Bassdrum machine!

1 Like

the analog engines sound very good to me. Sure there could be more parameters but whatever I lack in modulation I just process with my OT.

I don’t have the benefit (curse?) of owning the vintage machines but if I want straight up 909 or 808 kicks i either load samples on the OT or layer the tip top 909/808 bd modules and sync them through the A4.

augment the areas that you’re disappointed with other units, or just invest in a straight up clone of your favorite drum machine and say bye bye to plocks :smiley:

But you should definitely check out the Basetom mate. This is the real Bassdrum of the Rytm in my opinion. It has plenty of lowend and it is soft and smooth, you can add a click and the 808 Kick is there :slight_smile: Still a shame though that the actual bassdrums are close to useless if you want to produce modern electronic music … :thinking: [/quote]
Are you serious? You can get cutting edge kicks out of the Hard Bassdrum machine… Definitely sounds modern to me, are we using the same Rytm? It’s like a mix between the 909/808 kick and then so much more! I get massive lowend/bass out of the Hard Bassdrum machine![/quote]
Yep we surely use the same Rytm. The lowend is in the kicks, sure. But it is not nearly as powerful as the lowend in the Basetom and - it is way too low to be heard on regular hifi systems. You need a good Monitor System to really hear it. And honestly … when i produce music i dont want that almost all of my listeners cant feel my damn bassdrum because they dont have Monitor Systems installed - which is what most listeners out there will surely not have! And listen to modern contemporary electronic music - you surely wont find any hard 90s style kicking bassdrum in there ^^ This time is just over, period!

[/quote]
[/quote]
this is a bold statement… and I really like this statement… I am on yamahaHS8 and would like to hear from some guy in this forum who spent 10 times as much as I did on speakers how he thinks about inaudible sub low bass from the AR .,…
tbh: this would suit Elektrons style. invisible awesomeness