I can’t stop making techno

Hi all. I have a habit of no matter what I try, I end up creating a techno. And it’s annoying me.

No matter how simple or stripped down. No matter Cuban or African the beat I start with. No matter the BPM. No matter the samples or waveforms I create, I end up always building to a techno track.

It’s so easy on these machines.

How can I avoid this? Are there any rules I should set myself until I break out? Always doing odd pattern lengths or something? Maybe I need to find a jam buddy or something, or just stick to piano. Or maybe I need a different sequencer.

Thoughts, suggestions, advice welcome.

2 Likes

definitely helps!

try sticking to a musical key

9 Likes

Lower your BPM.
Avoid 909 Kicks (Kits).

4 Likes

i have the opposite problem — i can’t convince myself to make any techno.
every time i try — i end making acid, EBM, psytrance and whatever other unpopular stuff.

9 Likes

Also, at the moment I’m fascinated with creating drum patterns so that’s where I’m starting and focussing. Maybe I need to get the melody down first.

Maybe try taking drums out of the equation altogether. Easier said than done I know but just a thought.

5 Likes

This may not be helpful or make sense, but try linear sequencing. Your patterns will not repeat, and they will keep evolving.

I avoid techno at all costs tbh.

Well, except the techno snare. When I hear it, I say, “We keepin’ diss!”.

3 Likes
  • put some different decorations up around your gear, and wear different clothes
  • put the drum machine on a shelf
  • make drone
  • make ambient
  • write a pop song
  • make a cover version of a track you like, which is not techno

Also, for the first few attempts, don’t worry if it’s good or bad, just do it.

4 Likes

I went through a phase of this, I just carried on banging out tracks until it passed.

I’m now in the position of finding it difficult to actually make techno tracks.

1 Like

“Nobody listens to techno” MBMIII

3 Likes

Pick a genre that’s different and stick to it for the whole track just to see if you have fun making non-techno. Try something in a completely different tempo so it won’t even sound like techno even if it has some techno elements. Try 80-90bpm hip-hop, 170-180bpm drum n bass or whatever else might interest you. Slow it down almost to a stop and create an ambient soundscape piece with no drums whatsoever. Then, if you still want to make techno after that, apply what you’ve learnt by getting outside your comfort zone to new techno.

3 Likes

Different story for me.
I start with the will to make techno, but always end with melodic stuff, not for clubs.

3 Likes

Assuming you’re using an Elektron box for sequencing then trying another sequencer could help. More than 4 bars, linear, etc.

Maybe try making a cover of a non-techno song you like? 80 bpm is great for minor key jams. Use field recordings/non-traditional drum sounds to make rhythmic material.

1 Like

I can’t see this being a problem! As long as you’re creating… its good.

Yep, lower the tempo. Maybe gradually with each track. Until you’re around 82bpm.

Buy a kazoo.An Octatrack.Then explore!

2 Likes

Learn to chop breaks and make Jungle then have the same problem after you get addicted to that lol.

6 Likes

Just create what comes out, it will shift and change so no need to worry.

2 Likes

sounds all like techno to me :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

About 25 years ago I think I knew what techno was. No I’ve no clue at all what music belongs to what genre. I’m fairly sure I don’t make techno tho.

In all seriousness I went through that phase myself with pianos, bouncing Basslines etc. I just had a bit of a break from making music (with synths; I concentrated more on playing the piano and back to playing bass) then tried again using different sounds. I also try to make songs that are out of my comfort zone like RnB/Soul etc. It’s had the added benefit of making me think more about creating the sounds I use.

2 Likes

Embrace it. Make more techno!!! We need you!

8 Likes

I‘d love to make an album that could be played in a club. But everything I do gets too melodic and less danceable.
I want to create dark stuff but everything sounds rather friendly :upside_down_face: hard to break out of your comfort zone and habits

7 Likes