I can finally use the Push with Digitakt

Way less convoluted solution provided below and I’m thankful for it PHWEW

All it took was to send the midi out of Ableton over to another PC running Touchdesigner via rtpMidi where I made a network that renames midi notes and reassigns them to different channels.

Sounds like a pain right? It was. But it was worth it. I love using the note repeat feature on the push and the velocity-sensitive pads.

If for some strange reason you want to do the same let me know and ill upload the TD file. This will run on the free version.

Cheers.

as pointed out below you can achieve all of this like a sane person and just add a external instrument plug to a drum pad on the drum rack and select your channel fml*

2 Likes

I just got a push but havent tried to connect up the digis yet. I don’t understand… is there an issue with using the push to control the digi :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes because the Digitakt’s tracks are assigned across midi channels. Without a work around the pads just trigger one track at a time and repitch the sample.

Why not just use a drum rack? If you set the tuning to the lowest notes on one channel, you can actually trigger each channel at the note value set on the Digitakt. Also, I’m pretty sure you can set MIDI channel per pad on the drum rack as well, if you didn’t want to send on the same Track at the lowest notes.

I wish that all of that was true. I couldn’t get the Digitakt to behave that way for some reason but ill give it another go. Also you cannot assign midi channel per pad as far as I am aware. If someone can prove me wrong I would love them forever.

Use an External Instrument device on each pad of the drum rack. You can set the note and the channel.

4 Likes

Midi note 0-7 sent to the digitakts auto channel from the drum rack should trigger track 1-8 on the digitakt.

2 Likes

I want my Wednesday night back.

I looked everywhere and couldn’t find this solution. Now I know to come here first SMH.

Thank you and I love you forever. If you ever find yourself on Maui hit me up!

3 Likes

Glad it worked out for you! With that setup, you can get creative and maintain some of chromatic playing as well. Really quite flexible!

Yes! I just love pounding beats on the push and I especially love using the note repeats on the push while recording to the digitakt sequencer!

I love being wrong tbh and this was kind of a fun challenge.

1 Like

This will work but like @jefones said, you don’t even need to do that. All you really need to do is be on the same channel and play the lowest octave and it triggers each of the tracks, as described above!

just put an external instrument device on each pad in drum rack and assign midi through that.

That was my first suggestion, but they didn’t want to do that.

There is some added flexibility to using External Instrument, like being able to add it multiple time with different pitches if desired.

20 minute rule! If you’re struggling to do something for 20 minutes and it’s not in the manual probs best just ask :smiley: 9/10 someone’s already faced the same issue haha

3 Likes

I hate to piss on your chips but you probably could have done that just using a midi splitter plug in, pretty sure Abeleton has one, m4l certainly will.

2 Likes

SMH well ya know at least I got to make a dramatic entrance into the forum. Appreciate you guys thanks!

4 Likes

This^^^

@ahhooh This can be expanded endless ways by adding Ableton midi effects onto each drum cell, map some macros, then map those macros to the drumrack’s main macros, etc… Audio could also be routed through these or split out individual audio tracks/OB plugin, and bussed around all stupid. I’m going to buy Push again…

1 Like

Would be nice to see a video of it in action!