Hydrasynth from ASM

I see that ASM will be showing the Hydrasynth at Knobcon in Chicago this weekend. I’m not too far, but probably will just wait for one to arrive at the front door. Anybody near Chicago here?

In Los Angeles they’ll be at Synth Expo (i think) the end of September.

And if you’re in China, they’ll be at Music China in Shanghai October 10th to 13th.

But no Europe?

1 Like

I see they offer international shipping.

Perfect Circuit will also sell it.

If I were you I would wait a bit. I doubt there is a ban on selling this thing to EU customers

2 Likes

Me too. I loved the adventures of Hector, Octatrack making brains explode - or something…

I’ll take those wild videos over the “trying too hard to be cool” ones, although in the big scheme of things the vids by Nick, Loopop, etc. do more to sell me on things than any adverts.

1 Like

True.

It’s highly unlikely that teaser campaigns do anything to help sales

I suppose my Octatrack would be one obvious choice for sequencing Hydrasynth, although I haven’t considered it deeply, as in how it would sound with trig conditions, scenes w/ the fader, etc. I actually haven’t dug into p-locks as much as I thought I would, but I still haven’t got into the OT as a drum machine concept.

There are a fair number of interesting Mozaic scripts out there like Chordulator that might be fun to try. The Mozaic community has taken BramBos’ vision of a MIDI scripting platform for IOS and run wild with it, much more than what I’m seeing from the similarly conceived Streambyter.

1 Like

Really impressed with the feature set and UI. It looks like what I imagine a modern Ensoniq synth engine would be.
I’m really digging what I am hearing in these videos. Seems like it can be super hifi or lofi, whatever the patch needs.
Also seems like the perfect companion for my Deckard’s Dream. Not just for sound layering, but also to play it with a proper polyaftertouch controller.
The more I look at it, the more I think I need it.

7 Likes

This forum can be a dangerous enabler. This thing being monotimbral has me fantasizing about layered textures w/ a Matriarch/Abyss.

As someone noted earlier (i think) the sonic space the ASM occupies is conducive to fitting into a mix.

OTOH, I’m listening to Nick’s demo again and I’m finding I like his pad sounds just fine - no layering needed.

No Australian dealers yet either from what I can tell.

1 Like

Yes there are a lot of good demo sounds on ASM’s Soundcloud page

3 Likes

I am really digging the sound of this synth.

1 Like

Who are these people? A new(?) Chinese company with no track record regarding build/OS quality or service.

http://www.ashunsoundmachines.com/about

Does not look like just a bunch of random people but some individuals who have experience in the field. Just because it’s Chinese company doesn’t mean it’s going to be cheap or fllawed product

4 Likes

Why does it matter if its Chinese or a synth from the PNG highlands?

In the 80s it was common to label Japanese gear as ‘bad built quality,’ unauthentic and there was a strong anti-Japanese narrative at play. Now Roland is a mythical company.
There is a current anti- chinese rhetoric, which, on a side note, is becoming almost hysterical in nature.

6 Likes

I second that!
I wouldn’t care if it was from a group of religious zealots, it sounds great! I want it.

1 Like

Indeed, conclusions were drawn pretty fast. “Chinese” was only employed as the little information we know about the company, and not used to depreciate it.

Let’s stay respectful at each other please, while letting behind us this small hiccup.

7 Likes

Any chance we can move this thread to “Other Gear”?

Cheers!

2 Likes

I love that they have those “module select” buttons with which you apparently select oscillators, envelopes, lfos, amp, mixer etc. for editing.
Oh, and I love the concept and the looks^^

Looks like the synth I was dreaming of recently; poly, wavetables, modulation, modulation, modulation and even the SEM style filter is there! Poly AT woop :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Looks and sounds like hq build to me. On the other hand, some well known synt companys have quality control issues , so being known means nothing.

1 Like

I’ve tried them over the years, and Sweetwater only ships outside U.S. territories if you’re U.S. military. I suggest Perfect Circuit.

Video exploring oscillators and mutants. Love the disclaimer at the beginning - says he’s only going to play a C note and focus entirely on synthesis:

3 Likes